Why become a member? ×

NGD! (new gadget day) 5v -> 9v step up converter

Jean-Luc Pickguard

Took a punt on one of these from amazon for eight quid (with next day delivery on prime) =>USB Voltage Step Up Converter Cable, 5V to DC 9V Power Cable, Work for Guitar Effects Pedal,BOSS,Dunlop,Behringer, MXR, Electro Harmonix, TC Electronic, Zoom Pedals

51cvqidbirL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Like most people I know I have a rechargable USB power powerpack thingy which I bought so I can give my iPhone a boost if looks like its going to run out of juice when I'm out & about. These only supply 5v so they're not suitable for powering pedals, but this converter steps the voltage up to 9v. I have just tried it with my guitar pedalboard consising of a Boss SY-1 synthesizer, a Behringer SF-300 Super Fuzz, a Moskey Silver horse Klon clone and a Zoom MG-50G multistomp multifx. It performs exactly as I hoped it would, and the extra layer of noise that resulted from using a mains PSU was absent. I'm not sure how long I will be able to power the pedalboard using this with my 6700mAh powerpack, but it was still on four LEDs after a longish jam. Looks like the punt has paid off - for £8 its a no-brainer.

• Like 4

A nice solution to mains power.

I have used the myvolts ripchord 5v to 9v converter which works well but these are costlier so it's nice to come across a lower priced option.

Edited by naxos10
Grammar
  • Like 1