Why become a member? ×

Alternative to an Ampeg 610

Smiles

Hi guys I’ve got an Ampeg itch that is proving difficult not to scratch but I know i may well regret hefting it around , the Ampeg would be an svt 610 , I just love the depth and thump of them .

Question is is there a light weight alternative that gives that depth of sound ideally a one cab but two light weight options would be considered

ive done a ton of research but as it’s so difficult these days finding a shop with any stock haven’t managed yet to try anything out

Thanks for any thoughts

Stu  

Yep I think there meant to be nice sounding cabs but I think with the band set up ( 9 piece Ska band )  I would need two 212 cabs to get some height and to be able to hear it and I think the Ampeg 212’s are 4ohm and my ABM 600 couldn’t work with a 2ohm rig otherwise I would consider a 412 rig 

thanks again for thoughts 👍

58 minutes ago, Smiles said:

Yep I think there meant to be nice sounding cabs but I think with the band set up ( 9 piece Ska band )  I would need two 212 cabs to get some height and to be able to hear it and I think the Ampeg 212’s are 4ohm and my ABM 600 couldn’t work with a 2ohm rig otherwise I would consider a 412 rig 

thanks again for thoughts 👍

Some years back one of our very own Basschatters made me a splitter box which enabled me to connect two 4ohm cabs up to an amp that was 4ohms, could be worth looking into. I get where you’re coming from though, and two of the SVT212s would be over 120lbs to carry, so no longer a lightweight set up. I’ve used one with my ABM600 and when it was stood on a flight case it was fine, but that was in a 3-piece so nothing else going on over my side of the stage/getting in the way.

15 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Some years back one of our very own Basschatters made me a splitter box which enabled me to connect two 4ohm cabs up to an amp that was 4ohms, could be worth looking into. I get where you’re coming from though, and two of the SVT212s would be over 120lbs to carry, so no longer a lightweight set up. I’ve used one with my ABM600 and when it was stood on a flight case it was fine, but that was in a 3-piece so nothing else going on over my side of the stage/getting in the way.

Thanks Lozz really appreciate your input 👍

16 minutes ago, NAS Bass said:

Bergantino NV cabs - 610, 412 or the 215. The 215 really does have depth and thump!

Thanks Nas yep heard a lot of good things re Bergantino gear certainly would be worth trying out , I think the Bass direct place stocks their gear so worth me popping up to them to have a look 

Appreciate your thoughts thanks 

Stu 

• Like 1

I run my ABM600 into a single SVT212AV cab in a loud rock band 

Trust me you will only need one cab as they are very loud and easily heard 

Best cab I’ve used and as good as my old Ampeg 610 without the weight 

Superb Cab and pairs really well with the Ashdown 

10 hours ago, BassAdder27 said:

I run my ABM600 into a single SVT212AV cab in a loud rock band 

Trust me you will only need one cab as they are very loud and easily heard 

Best cab I’ve used and as good as my old Ampeg 610 without the weight 

Superb Cab and pairs really well with the Ashdown 

Thanks BassAdder appreciate your reply certainly well worth me looking into 

stu 

35 minutes ago, Smiles said:

Thanks BassAdder appreciate your reply certainly well worth me looking into 

stu 

Trust me you will be impressed how good they sound especially when pushed !

Very full sounding and punchy cab that works well on its own in a band 

On 15/04/2022 at 11:22, Sparky Mark said:

The SVT212AV uses ceramic speakers. I know the experts confirm that there is no reason ceramics should sound any different to neos but in my experience my ceramic loaded cabs have a more authoritative low end than my neo cabs. 

I think you'll find what the experts are saying is that there is no reason for them to sound different. Neo or Ceramic they are just magnets and you can shape the magnetic field how you want at the design stage. 

• Like 1