Why become a member? ×

Baritone Guitar

stewblack

16 minutes ago, stewblack said:

If I get one of these, can I still hold my head up on a bass forum? Or are they just a gateway drug leading inevitably towards the guitar?

I have serious GAS for one of these, because my guitar doesn't really like the BEBEAA tuning I'm using.

2516002519_gtr_frt_001_rr.png

https://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/build/solid-body/g5260-electromatic-jet-baritone-with-v-stoptail/2516002519

Edited by bartelby

3 hours ago, stewblack said:

I'm not in full blown gas, but there's been a small leak

That's it then - once GAS escapes, it's out of control and too late already ;) 
I'm so glad I'm not alone in suffering this condition lol

8 hours ago, stewblack said:

If I get one of these, can I still hold my head up on a bass forum? Or are they just a gateway drug leading inevitably towards the guitar?

Yes of course you can. There are plenty of us who play multiple instruments on here.

What scale length/tuning are you looking at? 28" B-B or 30" A-A? And how do you intend to use it?

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

Yes of course you can. There are plenty of us who play multiple instruments on here.

What scale length/tuning are you looking at? 28" B-B or 30" A-A? And how do you intend to use it?

Oof. It's merely a tiny leak at present, I've not done anything like research. Are they not same as a normal 6 string? Tuning wise I mean

21 hours ago, stewblack said:

Oof. It's merely a tiny leak at present, I've not done anything like research. Are they not same as a normal 6 string? Tuning wise I mean

Well, no they are tuned lower, that is the point of the baritone.

So a guitar is EADGBE, a 6 bass (and the SCR6) is an octave down from that and a traditional baritone is a 4th down - BEADGF#B - the second string there is the E of a guitar (there is an 8 string baritone that doubles up the two middle strings, no idea why)

Although technically anything between normal and bass is baritone.

On 12/04/2022 at 19:07, stewblack said:

Generally speaking they are either a 4th (B-B) on 28" scale or a 5th (A-A) on 30" scale lower than standard guitar tuning (E-E).

I've not had a chance to try a 30" tuned A-A, but the 28" B-B sounded great with normal guitar chords even full ones at the first position, while I have never been able to get any decent clarity out of chords with more than 2 notes on a Bass VI (30" tuned E-E an octave below standard guitar tuning) unless I play high up the neck, which IMO defeats the object as I might as well use a guitar.

Of course you can tune a Baritone any way you want the same as you can tune a guitar to things other than EADGBE. I have my Bass VI tuned EADGCE because I do a lot of work with open drone strings and the band has a number of songs in C or Am which means tuning the "B string" to C is more useful for me.

BTW have you considered a Bass VI? That way you get to keep your bass player "credentials" whilst gaining access to some guitar type sound too. Just don't expect to be able to play full chords low down on the neck and get anything other than an undefined mush.

• Thanks 1

Bari is totally cool in the Bass Land spectrum of Me. My first Stick - melody side was too high. Greg Howard came up w/ the Baritone Melody tuning (a 4th lower) but I came into my own w/ the 12-string Dual Bass Reciprocal. It puts "my" guitar hearing in the right place.

You gotta play what you hear.

• Like 1

I had a Gretsch Electromatic baritone.  Odd thing.  Drawn to it out of a 50/50 mix of curiousity and a desire of ownership.

Found it to be neither guitar or bass, on the one side I suppose I wanted to do some odd/dirty drop-B stuff without going the 7-string route, or some kind of twangy Glen Campbell stuff.  Not succeeding with either, I went the bass-six route and that didn't really pan out either, so I sold it on.

Sometimes, it's not the having it's the getting that drives these purchases.  Desire satiated, experiment was over. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, adamg67 said:

The Ibanez SRC6 is a blast, I had two at one point! But I've ended up with an Ibanez RGIB6 Baritone, with a custom Iceman shaped body

6DE8A305-D40F-45DA-8B98-FC9459975AFA.thumb.jpeg.ff97ebf1198b5e784515bb596af53b81.jpeg

Thats nice, more like a fireman than an iceman, the iceman the horn is on the bottom.

I have a bass fireman shape

front.JPG

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Thats nice, more like a fireman than an iceman, the iceman the horn is on the bottom.

I have a bass fireman shape

front.JPG

Yeah, you're right, it's a reverse iceman aka fireman, don't know where my brains at today. I should know as I've got both shapes now, an iceman guitar and a fireman baritone.

I like that bass a lot, am I remember right that you made it?