Why become a member? ×

NBD cort rithimic jeff berlin

la bam

Couldnt resist in the end.

Got a great deal on this, and was able to try at the shop, so I really didnt have an excuse for not at least giving it a go.

A couple of years ago I'd have found this a horrible looking thing, and wouldnt have given the twin humbucker looking pickups a second glance.

Now though..... well, I love it!

Looks stunning in the flesh, and the build quality is just a work of art.

The sound is wide and varied, but the main sound imo is bridge pick up on, and take it away! Its punchy, rounded and sounds really rich. It has that raspy stingray sound about it and every note really does rung out without any extra effort, especially high up the neck. Rolling on the ne k pick up rounds out the bite and does sound nice. You can get some convincing p bass sounds out of it too!

Gonna give it a whirl at practice wednesday!

• Like 2

I played this with 2 bands now at practice.

1 was straight into an ashdown abm 600 and 8x10 cab, playing pop covers.

1 was into my sansamp and markbass 2x10 set up playing indie rock covers.

Its SUCH a good bass to play! It really does do what jeff says - it's easy to play, every note sings and you dont have to dig in hard for it to be heard, its authoritative even when tickling the strings.

The abm set up was more mid sounding I'd guess youd say, so I just held back on the tone and it fitted nice in the mix.

The markbass/sansamp setting was up there with the best sounds I've had bass wise. I'd say 7/8 rolled into the bridge pick up and 2/8 tone rolled on. Lovely warm sound.

So much so I'm tempted to use it in the oasis band this weekend. Even if it's just to show it can be done and isnt just a bass for playing jazz.

Edited by la bam

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

Cort make great basses don't they?

It's a bit of a marmite look, but I'll bet it's one of those looks amazing in the flesh regardless of what one might expect from a picture

I thought it was the worst looking thing ever a few years ago.

Now I love it.

I think it's like getting older and wearing Jean's and a suit jacket... 

On 13/04/2022 at 09:24, la bam said:

It's a strange design. I think jeff said his wife drew it?

Yes, his wife Gabi drew the design. There were apparently a series of designs intended to be released but they ended up only doing this one (it does remind me of a mountain scene). I guess the cost of having to do the cut and match was enough for Cort so they went with a one piece top for the five string. 

I've had my Rithimic for about five years now. Probably closer to six. Still the best passive bass I've ever played and one of the best basses I've ever owned. I absolutely love the tone, the balance and the playability. It is also incredibly light, which I know matters to some players. In all the time I've had it, it's had one professional setup and has been absolutely mint since. Very low, very clean action with excellent fretwork. 

a18qm6W.jpeg

oeWNEiR.jpeg

• Like 2