Why become a member? ×

Ridiculous Purchases... Share Your Shame!

binky_bass

Has anyone bought any items on a whim of particular ridiculousness? 

I bought this definitely ridiculous beast some 18 odd years ago... sold it on after maybe a year as it was just too ridiculous to keep any longer. My old man dug this ridiculous picture out last night. Anyone else guilty of ridiculous purchases? Ridiculous photos are a ridiculous bonus if you have one to share! 

(P.S. ridiculous...)

IMG-20220410-WA0009.thumb.jpg.b990400db41d3ed56f352ae6a9115233.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 26

39 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

It's not still April 1st is it or photoshop? Could you explain the different options as there seems to be 2 X 6 string guitars, how exactly do you play the bottom 6 stringer as you'd need 'Stretch Armstong' arms......😉

It is not photoshopped sir! Its a Hutchins 6 neck. :)

One 6 string neck had a Floyd Rose bridge (under my arm) the other did not. Because obviously one must have the choice! 😆

2 hours ago, binky_bass said:

I bought this definitely ridiculous beast some 18 odd years ago... sold it on after maybe a year as it was just too ridiculous to keep any longer. My old man dug this ridiculous picture out last night. Anyone else guilty of ridiculous purchases? Ridiculous photos are a ridiculous bonus if you have one to share! 

(P.S. ridiculous...)

"If only this was a fiv . . . . . Oh . . . "

"What's the weight on this one?"

And finally, "is it any good for metal?"

I'm not quite going to be able to top @binky_bass's purchase, especially in the necks or strings department, but here is mine (well, technically this is not mine but one just like it):

xx1xvbqufeozkukcyiao.jpg

It's a Longbow Bass and it's been sitting idly behind my rack of basses and guitars for the last few years. It's a surprisingly fun and good sounding instrument, but an ergonomical nightmare. It's tuned E-A, strung through-body (if you can call it a body), it's got a stacked humbucker for each string that sits roughly in the P position, and its recommended way of travel is the most American thing you can imagine: in a rifle bag (which I also bought for it, but it never leaves the house so I've yet to explain to an officer what I'm doing walking around with a rifle bag). I may consider selling it at some point, but for now it's sitting fine. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, LeftyJ said:

I'm not quite going to be able to top @binky_bass's purchase, especially in the necks or strings department, but here is mine (well, technically this is not mine but one just like it):

xx1xvbqufeozkukcyiao.jpg

It's a Longbow Bass and it's been sitting idly behind my rack of basses and guitars for the last few years. It's a surprisingly fun and good sounding instrument, but an ergonomical nightmare. It's tuned E-A, strung through-body (if you can call it a body), it's got a stacked humbucker for each string that sits roughly in the P position, and its recommended way of travel is the most American thing you can imagine: in a rifle bag (which I also bought for it, but it never leaves the house so I've yet to explain to an officer what I'm doing walking around with a rifle bag). I may consider selling it at some point, but for now it's sitting fine. 

Looks a bit of a neckdiver.

1 hour ago, LeftyJ said:

xx1xvbqufeozkukcyiao.jpg

From one extreme to the other!

10 hours ago, binky_bass said:

(P.S. ridiculous...)

Is it for sale? And would you post?

10 hours ago, binky_bass said:

(P.S. ridiculous...)

Is it this one by any chance?

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/the-beast-a-mammoth-six-neck-guitar-goes-up-for-sale

Seemed like a good idea at the time - my band was performing some long-ish compositions which would have benefited from fretless in some sections. Never even made it to a rehearsal as our drummer emigrated & was never replaced. Now it's nothing but a (massively heavy) albatross around my neck...

gordy03.thumb.jpg.bccc0a08e643325fa62be2fba37074a8.jpg

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

Seemed like a good idea at the time - my band was performing some long-ish compositions which would have benefited from fretless in some sections. Never even made it to a rehearsal as our drummer emigrated & was never replaced. Now it's nothing but a (massively heavy) albatross around my neck...

gordy03.thumb.jpg.bccc0a08e643325fa62be2fba37074a8.jpg

You just need the right strap (and outfit ;- )

Harry-Shearer-as-Derek-Smalls-1500x844.thumb.jpg.b28fda7c2ae27f884fe7200b4e049e25.jpg

• Haha 1