Why become a member? ×

cheapish 5 strings

sky

so i have a harley benton p bass that i learned on is gotten in quite the state now, looking about getting something new and was just wondering what recommendations people have for good 5 string basses to look for that i could maybe get for between the £130 to £200 area. id be looking for stuff i can get used as new everythings just too much. cheers, leo.

16 hours ago, leojb23 said:

so i have a harley benton p bass that i learned on is gotten in quite the state now, looking about getting something new and was just wondering what recommendations people have for good 5 string basses to look for that i could maybe get for between the £130 to £200 area. id be looking for stuff i can get used as new everythings just too much. cheers, leo.

What sort of thing are you after? 

17 hours ago, leojb23 said:

Good for what ? Lots of choice but if you tell us what type of sound you want, appearances etc - we can narrow that down.

right so full scale, not really bothered about active or passive. im go for a more kinda rocky sound, like an aggresive clean tone. ideally something thats not overly large in the body shape. neck shapes i can adjust to anything

13 hours ago, Jakester said:

One of the 90's/early 00's Yamaha 5-strings would be my suggestion, like the BBN5. There's always a couple buzzing around on FB or in the classifieds here. 

I played a BBG5S for a decade as my only bass. Great instrument. 

I'd still have it but I took a break and then went back to four strings. 

my first thought was a Yamaha, the BB range are very nice but BBN5 might be a little out of budget if my recent experience is anything to go by,  The RBX range is much more affordable and shouldn't be difficult to find. I had a RBX765a as my first 5 string and it was a great bass, the later 775 would be equally good and has a more modern look.

another option is Ibanez, the SR range is fantastic for the money and you should find something in budget.

if you want something more traditionally styled then the Squier VM range basses are pretty good , i had the P5 and it was a great bass, there is a Jazz 5 for sale in the classifieds at the moment  Jazz V

this J+D might be worth a look too  HERE

other options worth looking at are Aria (the IGB/integra range), Vintage, Cort, and OLP, all make great value intruments.

Matt

• Like 1