Why become a member? ×

What if?

NancyJohnson

We're just sitting down listening to The Carpenter's Gold and we're discussing the old 'what if...' subject.  The subject matter briefly moved to John Lennon, Jimi Hendrix and so on.

I'd be interested in what members here think may have happened had Karen Carpenter, Hendrix etc. not passed away at such a young age.

Would Hendrix have played Live Aid?  Would The Carpenters be Glastonbury Legends regulars?  And so on.

The carpenters would have faded away and Karen would have ended up like stevie nicks, solo gigs, sort of music royalty but not really hitting the headlines.

jimi Hendrix would have ended up acting and putting out the odd record but never touring 

Edited by Bunion
  • Like 2

Having bored of convention, Hendrix would have learnt to play the guitar with his feet by the time of his appearance at Live Aid. By 1994 and the Woodstock 25th anniversary gig he'd be fretting with either ear and using his 'old chap' for strumming purposes.

Karen Carpenter would now be a car painter.

Having had an epiphany while hearing the band name through a delay effect, Karen would have abandoned the music industry and, through deft use of the apostrophe, set up The Carpenter's Carpenters - a bespoke woodcraft business catering to high-end Laurel Canyon tastes. They're not cheap, but you deserve the best.

Edited by Doctor J

18 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

Having had an epiphany while hearing the band name through a delay effect, Karen would have abandoned the music industry and, through deft use of the apostrophe, set up The Carpenter's Carpenters - a bespoke woodcraft business catering to high-end Laurel Canyon tastes. They're not cheap, but you deserve the best.

Just as well it wasn't a slapback echo, or she'd be selling fish.

7 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Something tells me we've on just begun on this thread.

When we were discussing this it was quite a decent discussion, pretty much 'Would Karen Carpenter have stuck with her brother or turned into someone of legendary status (like Dolly Parton, Stevie Nicks or Kylie) and making guest appearances on Dave Grohl projects?' 

But hey, it's Basschat, so of course Hendrix would be making cheese in Monterrey and Karen Carpenter would be on the board of directors at DHL.  😁

Jimi would have transcended out of his human form and evolved into a being of pure energy. The human race would begin to worship him, war and world hunger would become a thing of the past and we'd be out exploring the universe. Kaftans and kimonos would be our standard wear, as would turquoise rings and hats with feathers in them.

I remember in years gone by that when countering resistance to a new music technology (e.g drum machines, samplers) people would say 'if Hendrix were alive today, he'd be using this stuff'.

I don't think so..... like most innovative artists he'd had his period of creativity already and would be doing pretty safe stuff by then. Probably, there may be exceptions.

They maybe meant 'if Hendrix was starting out  today he'd be using that stuff' then they might be right.

1 hour ago, Joe Nation said:

I was just wondering the same about Kurt Cobain while listening to Nevermind this morning. We would never have gotten the Foo Fighters for one thing.

I'm pretty sure Dave Grohl had already told Kurt he was leaving Nirvana to do his own thing before Kurt's death.

I seem to recall reading an interview with him where he said he felt guilty about it for years.

3 hours ago, Jonesy said:

Jimi would have transcended out of his human form and evolved into a being of pure energy. The human race would begin to worship him, war and world hunger would become a thing of the past and we'd be out exploring the universe. Kaftans and kimonos would be our standard wear, as would turquoise rings and hats with feathers in them.

And 'far out, man' would have entirely replaced 'hello' in day to day speech.

• Like 1

Marc Bolan too.

It would have been interesting wouldn't it. Collaborations with other artists, Hendrix would jam with Eddie Van Halen.

Bolan and Bowie would have definately been a good one (they did jam together on the TV show Marc)

So much missed potential

and I really like Karen Carpenter's voice