Why become a member? ×

Harley Benton JP/JJ Series

stewblack

9 minutes ago, danbowskill said:

The natural 4 looks quite cool.... Even if you spent another £150 upgrading hardware that is a stupidly cheap price.

I don't know about other people but I've never needed to change the hardware on my Harleys. Not saying I haven't done it, I put  @KiOgon switched tone pots in two of mine because they look cool and it was fun to do. I also put black strings on my two matt black ones, not because the HB strings are poor - far from it - again just cosmetic tinkering.

I'm glad these basses have arrived, I've a few low priced items in my basket waiting for something to get me into free postage territory. Included in this are some of the new higher quality HB strings (including a set of flats) which I'm excited to try

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I don't know about other people but I've never needed to change the hardware on my Harleys. Not saying I haven't done it, I put  @KiOgon switched tone pots in two of mine because they look cool and it was fun to do. I also put black strings on my two matt black ones, not because the HB strings are poor - far from it - again just cosmetic tinkering.

I'm glad these basses have arrived, I've a few low priced items in my basket waiting for something to get me into free postage territory. Included in this are some of the new higher quality HB strings (including a set of flats) which I'm excited to try

At that price range bridges, tuners etc are definitely where the costs will be cut. Id impulsively upgrade if just for feel only

Just now, danbowskill said:

At that price range bridges, tuners etc are definitely where the costs will be cut. Id impulsively upgrade if just for feel only

No argument from me - each to his own of course. I'm just saying I've got basses cost literally 10 times as much (which I also love) so I can compare, and I've still never felt the hardware let's the Harley Benton range down. 

But if others feel differently that's cool too.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, stewblack said:

I've had mixed results (although on the whole I'm a fan).

Precision style one in stealth black... I went to replace teh strings and one of the tuners just sheared. It appears to be made of some very soft metal that reminded me of the horrible horrible pickup screws on a Maruszczyk Jake I used to have. But pretty happy with the stock electronics.

MB5, again in stealth black. This one is still stock. The pickup sounds just like I hoped it would and I don't feel I need to replace anything. It's the same kind of metal as teh other one but at least this one is working ok, for now. I am still using the stock HB strings because to my surprise they feel and sound just right. I had to fiddle with the nut slots and a few sharp fret ends, which took all of just-a-few-minutes... that's all.

• Like 1

Hmmm, the 5 string natural JJ looks very attractive, and it's got a nice and wide string spacing at the bridge it seems. 

If they weigh less than a small planet I can see one in my life in the near future.

HB%20JJ550P%20natural.jpg?dl=1

Edited by mcnach
change path to picture

Ash body. Of course there's ash and there's ash, so the weight could range from svelte to boat anchor...

Not that bothers me, but some of our less muscular contributors get hung up on it so let us know how it feels in the hands (and the new bass).

Edited by Bassfinger

On 15/04/2022 at 21:31, mcnach said:

I've had mixed results (although on the whole I'm a fan).

Precision style one in stealth black... I went to replace teh strings and one of the tuners just sheared. It appears to be made of some very soft metal that reminded me of the horrible horrible pickup screws on a Maruszczyk Jake I used to have. But pretty happy with the stock electronics.

MB5, again in stealth black. This one is still stock. The pickup sounds just like I hoped it would and I don't feel I need to replace anything. It's the same kind of metal as teh other one but at least this one is working ok, for now. I am still using the stock HB strings because to my surprise they feel and sound just right. I had to fiddle with the nut slots and a few sharp fret ends, which took all of just-a-few-minutes... that's all.

The tuners on most basses under ~500 of whatever your currency is are pretty much the same. I needed a new tuner for a Talman TMB100 and the item's code was the same they use on everything from Ibanez and Jackson to Harley Benton and classic vibe Squiers. Most of them are indeed soft metal and the teeth on the gear can get really mangled if there's the slightest misalignment from the factory (there usually is) but they are serviceable and a touch of grease and some care can definitely help. Never changed them out on any of my basses (other than the one that was literally mangled) and haven't had any issues with tuning stability. But then again, my perspective is that stability comes from a properly cut and lubricated nut and bridge. Oh well.

As for the weight, cheap ash (not swamp ash) is usually on the heavier side and at those prices, you're not getting swamp ash. I'm gonna bet those are heavy. Perhaps not as heavy as the Enhanced series or the JB-75 due to the slightly smaller body but still, heavy.

Apart from that, can't say that I like the body shape very much. They're obviously Aria bodies, copies of F bass bodies (as discussed in other places as well) but they're just unappealing to me.