Why become a member? ×

Sense of community through online networking

Saskia

Online community - what does it do for you? (for a university project - all will be anonymised)  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Do you feel that Basschat gives you a sense of belonging in a community of bassists/musicians?

• yes
    • no - I use it for a different reason
  2. 2. Is Basschat your only source of connectedness to a community of musicians?

• yes
    • no - I rely on other online forums too
    • no - I rely on in-person connections
  3. 3. Does networking on Basschat in any way reaffirm your identity as a musician?

• yes
    • no

Hi all! I'm writing my dissertation at the moment about becoming a musician through various means, one of which is getting involved/feeling part of a community. I'm interested to know what kind of relationship you have with Basschat as a way of connecting to a wider community of musicians - whether you use it for this primarily or other reasons? Poll answers will be greatly appreciated and if you feel like expanding on anything in the comments, please do. 

Thanks!

• Like 2

I've been a member of Basschat and it's predecessor since ~2005 as well as an admin until 2013.

I've made friends here and have attended many meetups both at bashes and shows.  

I also contact other players through Facebook and Instagram, the latter of which is very good for reaching out to those you don't have common contacts with already.

1 hour ago, Machines said:

I've been a member of Basschat and it's predecessor since ~2005 as well as an admin until 2013.

I've made friends here and have attended many meetups both at bashes and shows.  

I also contact other players through Facebook and Instagram, the latter of which is very good for reaching out to those you don't have common contacts with already.

Great to hear. Thanks for sharing!

20 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

For question 2 I would tick both the 'no' answers.

for anyone in the same position, please tick 'no - I rely on other online forums too' if you only engage online and not in person, and the other if you do both :)

23 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

Me too. 

Questionnaires are not so straightforward to devise.

But I read your advise too late 😞 and picked option "no - I rely on other online forums too"

That's ok! Yeah sorry I should've thought of a clearer wording.. can't edit now unfortunately so this will have to do. No worries 😊