Why become a member? ×

Hohner Arbor refurb

Hammer_

Hey. I’ve taken ownership of a stinky old Hohner bass which is I am going to try and bring back to life. 

Should I try and clean up the pick ups, and if so what’s the best approach. Or do you guys think new pick ups would be a better option. But I don’t know how to swap them because they wiring runs through the body and I can’t see how to re-run the wiring. 

would love your thoughts 

B702BF1F-126A-4269-9D6D-B5C37C58F914.jpeg

5495BCF4-FBF1-455A-8D63-73BCE326C8A4.jpeg

C5542DA7-8088-455A-A81D-E33EFB4C3392.jpeg

4ED2AE23-EA43-4600-9D21-FC139EBD4229.jpeg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pea Turgh said:

What’s the neck like?

Really good actually. I’ve taken it off and it’s straight. I’ll post some more pics tomorrow. Got most of the rust of the pups now. Was fairly easy by using a scotchbrite pad and salt/lemon. 

6 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

Nice job.  Makes a huge difference.  Have you treated the surface with any sort of water repellent like WD40 or wax?

All I’ve done so far is used some black t-cut to polish the area surrounding the pick ups. It’s worked will so I’ll polish the whole of the body soon. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hammer_ said:

All I’ve done so far is used some black t-cut to polish the area surrounding the pick ups. It’s worked will so I’ll polish the whole of the body soon. 

I meant for the pole pieces more than anything else.  Have you thought about sweat proofing them somehow?

10 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

I meant for the pole pieces more than anything else.  Have you thought about sweat proofing them somehow?

Oh right. No I have rubbed the rust off with an emery file and wiped over with Wd40. 

• Like 1

Bridge Saddle Adjust Allen Head Screws... Spalding Fastners of the bay... A2 stainless Hex Head Grub Screws Ibanez 4mm size rather than Fender 3mm me thinks... but check! go for Dog Point... couple of quid!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DOG-POINT-A2-STAINLESS-STEEL-METRIC-SOCKET-ALLEN-GRUB-SCREWS-M3-M4-M5-M6-/293221192240?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

I've had 3 lots from them to replace saddle screws on cheapy bridges, replacing the badly cut ends with a nice Dog Point, and used different lengths so ya dont get loads sticking out the saddle and in ya hand!

Also did the Epi LP guitar saddles...

Soak the saddles in plus gas or WD40 for a bit if old screws are stiff and rusty to stop em wrecking the threads in the saddles tacking em out...

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/04/2022 at 22:12, Hammer_ said:

The bridge isn’t very good quality. The chrome is bubbling. I’ve cleaned it up ok but I’m considering changing the hardware to black. 

What is the condition of the tuners like... 4 In Line? Got some Black Fish Tails... £7.50 posted?

Do some pics n measures if interested!

Edit: Just looked... The Arbour has Elephant Ears... so the 1 screw Fish Tails' post will be to small...

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Sad 1