Why become a member? ×

ON HOLD - Precision - Vintage Custom in Lake Placid Blue Nitro (Bass Monkey special) £725
£725
Manchester

three

I try to avoid hyperbole in ads but this really is a fabulous bass in every respect.  I acquired it recently from jay-syncro (fantastic deal) but it's just too long/big for me - as with any other Precision.  I only play short-scales and should have known that I wouldn't get on with a long-scale (I've had enough of them for this to be evident).

Jay-syncro's ad is here (and there's a link through to the original Walshy ad):

It's a Bass Monkey (Walshy) build and an extremely high vintage spec. as follows:

Hand-built lightweight swamp ash body 

Allparts licensed US Precision neck (quarter-sawn maple, 1.625" nut width and ebony board - lots of 'ping')

Nitro finish in LBP including MHS - finishing undertaken by Dave Wilson

Fender TV logo

Gotoh res-o-lite vintage reverse wind tuners

Badass II Bridge

Kent Armstrong vintage pickup

CTS pots and Switchcraft jack

Fender F neck plate

Weight 3.75kg

The bass is extremely well put together, and is built exclusively from premium parts and materials.  Condition is excellent with some light swirling in the nitro finish.  The Dave Wilson finish is superb as one would expect and the LPB is very vibrant.  The grain in the neck is lovely, though I should note that the some of the lacquer on the back of the neck is worn through up to around the fifth fret.  I actually rather like this effect and have had the lacquer taken back on previous Fender-type basses to reduce the potential for 'stickiness'.  The neck feels very slick indeed.  The bass sounds to me like a '70s P - a big round bottom-end but the potential for some aggression and clank with the tone wound up.  Playability is superb.   I had the bass set-up with 40-95 D'Addario Nickel rounds.  The set-up is excellent and the bass has an extremely low action.  I actually dropped the action a little when the bass came back from set-up as I play with a very light touch and stupidly low action (too low for almost anybody else).  As a result there's a bit of sizzle on the D at the 19th fret and on the E and A from around the 14th fret.  This could be removed with a slight adjustment of string height (indeed, I'll do this if any buyer would prefer).  The action will remain low.

I have a little over £800 in the bass in total but I'm willing to sell at £725.  I think this represents quite a bargain.  Please take a look at the images - jay-syncros are better than mine (I hope this is OK jay) but please ask if you want anything specific in terms of photographs - or any further details.

The bass can be collected from Manchester or if a buyer would prefer, I can pack the bass (in its included Thomann hard case - again, very good condition) and the buyer can organise a courier - at their own cost and risk, of course.  I can be around to hand over to couriers.       

C29CF8C7-8541-4948-8C97-E4CDBE4E08F8.jpeg

AC8C1A48-1A42-4A2F-B0D8-B65D22349F73.jpeg

7BDF9129-5E89-4EAD-9230-DEACE4FA96FA.jpeg

0CBC6DDC-DCFD-4DA4-81B6-A9942DCD592E.jpeg

4C5354C3-EC02-48E7-AAF1-670D4B5FACFF.jpeg

2DAFAC78-01FE-4272-936E-10B37845FFCE.jpeg

1464AA5D-AD63-4A01-BAC5-AA8725F34C5D.jpeg

D115AA2F-0E53-49D4-AD45-F0CB8EB90E27.jpeg

D547BC7C-6E17-4628-8593-69E4435022CD.jpeg

A5A35EA9-31B1-42C1-B944-EE7B21411C93.jpeg

70BD7688-FB5D-49F6-9153-B50D2707C0F2.jpeg

7D0593E6-A3F5-430F-99A6-5BFDEB67341D.jpeg

Edited by three
spelling
  • Like 16

52 minutes ago, walshy said:

Probably the best P bass I’ve built. It really is amazing. Pick ups have been changed but it’s a real big hitting P. GLWTS, I’m half tempted to get it back 💙

You did a brilliant job on this one Walshy - if it was just four inches shorter, I'd be in!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, three said:

You did a brilliant job on this one Walshy - if it was just four inches shorter, I'd be in!

If it was four inches shorter, I'd technically be a lady

Walshy's basses are great, I have a P which I love.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• three changed the title to ON HOLD - Precision - Vintage Custom in Lake Placid Blue Nitro (Bass Monkey special) £725