Why become a member? ×

New string day - finally trying out flatwounds!

NT1991

I've always wanted to do something a bit different with my telecaster bass, my other two (both Ibanez) have got more modern sounds sorted so I was looking for a more vintage sound. As such I've today strung it with some Picato stainless steel flatwounds. First impressions, having always played round wound strings, is that I love the feel! The only problem is now I really wish that I could get something brighter (for the other basses) but with the same feel without changing strings every day...

Anyway, I'm hoping that these combined with the homemade mute will give me a nice Motown sound for a cover I'm going to record next week. 

Anyone else trying out something new with their strings? always been curious about tapewounds myself!

278115648_1374406482982534_7123849287110006159_n.jpg

• Like 3

I recently (as in this weekend) picked up my Precision that has been strung with flats for a year or two, and has therefore remained unplayed for that time as I dislike the feel of flats, though they do sound good. Now it seems that both the bands I play with prefer the sounds of the flats as well, so looks like I just need to get use to the feel. 

In the past, when I have got fed up with the dead fuel of the flats, I have removed them and restrung with rounds. To avoid this, I ordered another Precision yesterday which will keep the rounds it comes with. 

I also have two Jazz basses (in theory - one had to be returned due to a truss rod problem and so far Fender have sent two replacements to the shop, each of which have had different problems). There is a fourth (third replacement) on the way, so either that or my old faithful will be strung with flats so I can choose between them without constantly restringing.

• Like 1

I used to use Chromes, but then discovered LaBella flats, which sound perfect to my ears, but feel like bars of steel under my fingers. I haven't tried any other brands, it can get quite expensive buying a different brand of flats just to discover they don't do what you want.

• Like 1

On 11/04/2022 at 09:39, FinnDave said:

I used to use Chromes, but then discovered LaBella flats, which sound perfect to my ears, but feel like bars of steel under my fingers. I haven't tried any other brands, it can get quite expensive buying a different brand of flats just to discover they don't do what you want.

I use Labella low tension stainless steel flats on all my basses, much easier on the fingers than their “deep talkin flats”

• Like 1

On 09/04/2022 at 14:47, NT1991 said:

I've always wanted to do something a bit different with my telecaster bass, my other two (both Ibanez) have got more modern sounds sorted so I was looking for a more vintage sound. As such I've today strung it with some Picato stainless steel flatwounds. First impressions, having always played round wound strings, is that I love the feel! The only problem is now I really wish that I could get something brighter (for the other basses) but with the same feel without changing strings every day...

Anyway, I'm hoping that these combined with the homemade mute will give me a nice Motown sound for a cover I'm going to record next week. 

Anyone else trying out something new with their strings? always been curious about tapewounds myself!

278115648_1374406482982534_7123849287110006159_n.jpg

I have those exact strings on my PB. I’m new to bass and just walked in my local shop and asked for some flats and those are what I got. Whilst I am keen to try some other brands at some point, I’m in no rush as the bass sounds exactly like I want it to and it plays really well. I’m mostly doing blues and soul stuff on it and it’s great.

• Like 1

On 11/04/2022 at 09:00, rmorris said:

Try Half Round / Groundwound / Pressure wound types.

Smoother feel but brighter than flats.

Good shout I was thinking of putting some Rotosound Pressure wounds on my 4-string when it next gets restrung. Alas not sure they will work on my 5 as it needs a very bright sound for the heavier genres I sometimes play.

Cheers for the suggestions all! Will definitely try out another brand of flats when I come to restring it... in the next... well 7 years 🤣

After playing some more on it I can say I still love the feel under my fretting hand, I've just come to terms that I need to keep rounds on at least one of my basses for the brightness, but having the options is always great.