Why become a member? ×

Zoot Funkmeister Custom - SALE AGREED - *SOLD*
£1250
Chester

Bass Culture

I have been procrastinating about this for months but I am finally reconciled to parting with my beautiful Zoot Funkmeister Custom, made for me by Mike Walsh.  If it weren't for the impending arrival of a new Zoot and the fact I already have another 3, I would be keeping hold of this but pragmatism and space have won out.  I'm looking for £1,200 - a considerable amount less than the same spec would cost to be built new.  EDIT: For interested parties with cashflow issues I'm happy to take payment in 2-3 instalments over a couple of months if wanted.  Delivery/collection on receipt of final payment.

Even by Mike's (our very own Cosmicrain) usual high standards this is a bit special.  It has an exhibition grade flamed maple top which really has to be seen to be believed - the pictures don't do it justice at all - with matching headstock, both finished in a deep amber/antique brown colour.  Body is mahogany laminate with maple veneers separating the two layers and the top wood.  The hardware is custom (black/gold mix) USA Hipshot throughout, with Haeussel pickups and a John East U-retro (3 band with para mids) preamp (18v) with passive switching and tone control.  Neck is a 5 piece laminate of roasted maple and tiger striped blue jarra.  As you can imagine, it has tone to die for:

PA290057 PA290058 PA290059 PA290060 PA290061 PA290062

Specifications:

BODY: Two piece mahogany with maple veneers between.

TOP: Exhibition grade flamed maple finished in deep amber/antique brown with matching headstock

NECK: 5 piece laminate of roasted maple and tiger striped blue Jarra.  32" scale' 37.5mm nut width.

STRING SPACING: 17.5mm at bridge

FINGERBOARD: Macassar ebony, approx 16/18" radius.  Medium jumbo frets with rolled fingerboard edges

HARDWARE: Custom Hipshot (USA) in black and gold

PICKUPS: Custom Haeussel Slan humbucker Jazz-type

PREAMP: John East U-retro with passive switch and tone.  Wired for 18v

WEIGHT: Approx 9lbs based on the tried and trusted bathroom scales method

It's a great bass and a fantastic example of a top luthier's work.  Completely clean and in 'as new' condition - no scratches, buckle rash or marks of any kind.  Plays like a dream and sounds fantastic. Currently strung with Roto steel roundwounds (40-90).  I'm happy to demo if anyone cares to visit Bass Culture Towers in Chester - tea and cat tickling will be optional extras. 

So, if anyone fancies a top quality custom bass, at a greatly reduced price - without the 12 + month wait, and with 'easy payment' option - you know what to do!  Pick up is preferable for obvious reasons but I do have a spare Hiscox lite flight case I can send it in if needed (for, say, £40), so the buyer is welcome to arrange delivery by their preferred courier and it will be securely and safely packaged.  Any questions - just shoot.  Oh - and sale only please.  Not looking for any trades.

Edited by Bass Culture
Added note ref: trades.
  • Like 30

I saw this bass during its build and also got to briefly ogle it in the flesh when it was finished. It is sublime. If I didn’t already have a Zoot Funkmeister (plus another on the way….) I’d be considering this as my first foray into Zoot ownership.

Plus Mark is a top notch chap :)

• Thanks 1

• Bass Culture changed the title to EASTER SPECIAL - REDUCED!: Very special Zoot Funkmeister Custom - 32" fretted 4 string
  • Bass Culture changed the title to REDUCED!: Very special Zoot Funkmeister Custom - 32" fretted 4 string
  • 3 weeks later...

Lot of likes, I see, but no firm interest yet.  If this doesn't go within the next couple of weeks or so I'll pull it from sale for the time being and retire it to a case under the bed as my 'Wal-a-like' will be delivered before the end of the month so this will get very little playing time, I suspect.  Instalments still an option so if anyone is procrastinating, drop me a line and we can talk...

24 minutes ago, Bass Culture said:

Lot of likes, I see, but no firm interest yet.  If this doesn't go within the next couple of weeks or so I'll pull it from sale for the time being and retire it to a case under the bed as my 'Wal-a-like' will be delivered before the end of the month so this will get very little playing time, I suspect.  Instalments still an option so if anyone is procrastinating, drop me a line and we can talk...

Shame, it’s a glorious bass! As is the Wal-a-like, which I saw in person on Wednesday 🤓😎

1 hour ago, Merton said:

Shame, it’s a glorious bass! As is the Wal-a-like, which I saw in person on Wednesday 🤓😎

I spoke to Mike yesterday, Martin, and he said you'd been over.  He mentioned the conversation you had and I agree with a lot of what you said.  As we both know, his work deserves a much higher profile than it has.

• Like 1

On 15/05/2022 at 13:18, 2pods said:

Had a look at your Wal-alike, but still prefer this.

It's a Humdinger !

If only this was last year, when I had spare cash :dash1:

GLWTS

On looks alone, I don't disagree - the flaming on the maple is ridiculous. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 04/07/2022 at 14:05, Merton said:

Is it wrong to want this only to defret it?

😲

You could always get Mike to make you a fretless neck for it too, Martin? 😉

Have had a couple of enquiries about this, but nothing concrete at present so - still available.

Edited by Bass Culture

2 hours ago, Bass Culture said:

You could always get Mike to make you a fretless neck for it too, Martin? 😉

I am not going to lie, that thought crossed my mind too! But given Mike’s order book I decided against it, and accidentally bought an ACG fretless from Alan instead. As you do 😆

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, songofthewind said:

What’s it like to play, with 17.5mm string spacing? I like to slap, and I imagine it might be tricky for me at less than 19mm.

Well, I tend to doing pretty much zero slapping so, in all honesty, I can't comment personally.  I suppose my observation would be that - if 16.5mm spacing works for Mark King...:)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Merton said:

I am not going to lie, that thought crossed my mind too! But given Mike’s order book I decided against it, and accidentally bought an ACG fretless from Alan instead. As you do 😆

Top man, Martin!!! 😁

• Like 1

• Bass Culture changed the title to Zoot Funkmeister Custom - 32" fretted 4 string
  • 4 weeks later...
On 15/10/2022 at 23:39, briansbrew said:

Hi Mark, does it have side markers..

Having checked the photos, I can see exactly what you mean now.  I'd not realised that I've taken the photo of the side at an angle, and the dots are just out of sight as a result.

Edited by Bass Culture
  • Like 1

• Bass Culture changed the title to Zoot Funkmeister Custom - SOLD