Why become a member? ×

The slow 12/8 Blues has a certain bass groove that you really need to play if you want to be authentic to that style.

12/8 Blues tunes are often in minor keys too, and although they frequently follow the 12-bar Blues progression they often have a few 'quirks' which you need to know about.

The tune I'm covering in this week's lesson is 'The Great Flood' by Joe Bonamassa, a classic 12/8 minor Blues tune. I work through the chord progression and then show you how the bass line is developed from the studio version to the live versions. 

The live versions I’m working from feature Carmine Rojas on bass. He plays the Blues with a more modern approach on a 5-string. He’s got an impressive CV and is well worth checking out. 

Find out more about this bass line and also about the minor Blues form in this video lesson. 

You’ll find the chord chart and bass line transcription link under the video. 

I’d love to hear how you get on with this song and whether you have any favourite Bonamassa bass lines. 

https://youtu.be/c6R3CdzKVF0

• Like 1