Why become a member? ×

1 hour ago, Piers_Williamson said:

...are both basses 'on' all the time?

Judging by the fact that the controls look standard and there are two pickups, my edumacated guess is that the pickup blend pot determines how 'on' each pickup is.

• Thanks 1

One of the knobs is volume one for each pickup. The fourth is blend between necks so you can have both necks on but you wouldn’t be able to control any feedback from the second neck. You just wind it one way or the other. To be honest would be easier with a switch.

Obviously having only one pickup you haven’t quite got the tonal variation but the position has been moved slightly towards the neck, so it sounds awesome. Plays lovely if a little heavy. If I had had it made I’d have put the fretless on top.

I’ve got a passive fretless pro with the pickup at the bridge it used to be fretted but I swapped the necks with my mk1 fretless it’s still Wal through and through though and I love the fretless with the bridge pickup 

81361E70-D06F-4327-8126-BC649DB5EA94.thumb.jpeg.7e4464f09962f86dc45a38791818617d.jpeg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 10/04/2022 at 12:00, 508pir said:

Obviously having only one pickup you haven’t quite got the tonal variation but the position has been moved slightly towards the neck, so it sounds awesome. Plays lovely if a little heavy. If I had had it made I’d have put the fretless on top.

I agree, I'd want the fretless on top as well. But since this fiver doesn't have the tuners all loaded on one side of the headstock like the 4 string twin necks do, why can't you swap the necks around? 

I recently received a new Mk3 with single pickup in the 'Ray' position. It sounds fantastic and growly, very different from the regular Customs. Bit more mid-forward tone. 

Edited by mikeswals

• 1 month later...
On 30/05/2022 at 01:05, mikeswals said:

I agree, I'd want the fretless on top as well. But since this fiver doesn't have the tuners all loaded on one side of the headstock like the 4 string twin necks do, why can't you swap the necks around? 

I recently received a new Mk3 with single pickup in the 'Ray' position. It sounds fantastic and growly, very different from the regular Customs. Bit more mid-forward tone. 

if you slap then then that could be the overriding factor in this.