Why become a member? ×

Welcome to my narcissistic documentation journey of the creation of a new and unique bass! 
About me and what I’m looking for: 

Not a talented enough and have too many other responsibilities to be a pro bassist, but just about good enough to get the odd dep call with other pro players. So, serious hobby which I occasionally spend (edit - not waste as previous written!) money on. Upright player mainly, big fan of NHOP and G Mraz, so fast low action. Ageing back and joints. Thus wanting a very comfortable and beautiful bass guitar which sounds like an upright. 
Rob Allen, you say? Too coveted/rare/expensive. 
Jon Shuker? Now you’re talking. I’ve owned one before. It was a commission build, and although it was exquisitely sumptuous in terms of sound and quality, I just didn’t LOVE it, and in a tough financial moment let it go. 

Happier finances now and I’m up for a new Shuker/Rob Allen. Or…. A Shuker Artist with a deeper body, closely akin to a Rob Allen Deep 4/5. 

And Jon, being the throughly talented, pleasant and accommodating individual that he is, is helping me entertain this thought further. 

Edited by TheAndelorian
  • Like 7

I’m following this build for sure! Jon Shuker is a very talented luthier with an incredible attention to detail. He’ll be able to build what you want. I should know too, I’ve been very picky and incredibly detailed with all my builds (and the next one I have planned) and he has delivered every time exceeding expectations!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dood said:

I’m following this build for sure! Jon Shuker is a very talented luthier with an incredible attention to detail. He’ll be able to build what you want. I should know too, I’ve been very picky and incredibly detailed with all my builds (and the next one I have planned) and he has delivered every time exceeding expectations!

Thanks! Have you picked up any of the recent Artist builds? 

7 minutes ago, TheAndelorian said:

Thanks! Have you picked up any of the recent Artist builds? 

I’m afraid not, but I’m looking to video review Jon’s basses when I can.

• Like 1

Friday update! 15/4/22

The speculative conversation has developed into a comprehensive plan. We’ve agreed on specs - I won’t list them all here but please ask if there’s anything you’re curious about. A few highlights though:

Since we’re going for a ‘deep’ version of the Artist, I looked at Rob Allen’s site where he states that the body starts as 3” thick alder before cutting down to 2&1/8”. Jon’s happy to work towards that and feels that 2.5” of mahogany will be a sufficient starting point. 
The routed recesses will be slightly larger than Jon normally makes, taken down to 1&3/4”, making the whole thing lighter and possibly enhancing the acoustic properties (of which I know and understand very little about). 
Going for 34” scale (I believe the RAs are shorter), 17.5mm spacing.  
The top will be a later decision but Jon currently has some beautiful woods which I’ll share some pics of (he’s happy for me to share this build diary btw!). I’m not so into the burr look, I think from a distance it looks smudgey! Possibly going for a flamed sycamore, which Jon says is maybe the most highly figured he’s seen. Looking forward to seeing pics, but of course won’t see the full look until it’s treated. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Slow progress. Jon’s been busy finishing off a few basses and I’ve been sitting on options for woods. I’m not in any hurry so all good! 
Sooo many beautiful woods to choose from! Also a bit of a guess as although Jon sends a photo of ‘wetted’ wood, the finished look can be much darker, as was my previous experience. There were some stunning burrs - maple and poplar. Just not for me though, I’m more into flamed. Some highly figured sycamore and myrtlewood. But I’ve kept coming back to the same one, which is a flamed maple. 
Electronics-wise, my plan was to go for piezo only, keeping the top as whole as possible. Jon’s given me a new option though, which he used in the past on his Artists until supply issues - the Schertler Bluestik, which is actually an under saddle mic with dedicated preamp. Given the aim of making this a more chambered and therefore (I hope) acoustically resonant build, this seems like a great option. Single thumbwheel volume control near the output jack will keep the whole top ‘clean’. 
Finally, 2.5’ mahogany has been sourced! Cuttin’ time soon hopefully. 

72482E7C-48E5-4956-931A-31FBEB03BD7C.jpeg

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

A liiiiitle hiatus, but activity is about to resume. Unfortunately the Schertler won’t fit in the planned recess, so it’ll be the traditional Headway pickup. However, Jon is experimenting with a new Artist structure which will broaden the chamber - all the better for a deep cut! In the meantime, here’s my present happy corner. 

12C1AD08-FBB5-4AAD-901B-4CEA28D4E572.jpeg

• 5 months later...

Just came across this thread.

It stopped before the end of the build so I thought I'd add my bit because I'd love to see the end result.

Back in 2016 I spent a great week on a course with Jon Shuker building a custom bass. It's what I use as my avatar. Great week with a great man. And a great result.

After a year I went back to fine tune the bass, and came a way with an Artist as well, which had been returned, so special price. It is a superb piece of work, and everyone who hears it loves the tone.

So is there any more news of your build?

• 1 month later...
On 16/02/2023 at 23:02, Lowhead said:

It stopped before the end of the build so I thought I'd add my bit because I'd love to see the end result.

Back in 2016 I spent a great week on a course with Jon Shuker building a custom bass. It's what I use as my avatar. Great week with a great man. And a great result.

After a year I went back to fine tune the bass, and came a way with an Artist as well, which had been returned, so special price. It is a superb piece of work, and everyone who hears it loves the tone.

On 16/02/2023 at 23:02, Lowhead said:

Yes! I’ve finally updated the thread, it’s sounding like Jon has been crazy busy. I’ve never been in a hurry for this though and it’s great that Jon’s getting so much work. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A wee note on string height. As an upright player (with a medium string height set up on my acoustic), I tend to find bass guitar setups a little low. In fact my previous Shuker was definitely low, with less responsiveness than I’d like, and bit of a clacky sound. I raised things a bit with the truss rod, but the piezo bridge on the Artist models isn’t adjustable. I remember someone describing something similar So, my last request to Jon prior to assembly was to put in a couple of “feet” under the bridge. I cannot wait to hear how this bass sounds. 

43 minutes ago, TheAndelorian said:

These strings are gold - old ones Jon is using to set the saddle. I’m going for blacks. Custom ‘S’ knobs look pretty cool I reckon. 

465BF253-B2A9-4C32-AE09-60DD73EB98FA.jpeg

Stunning!

How long till it's in your grubby mitts?

• 2 weeks later...