Why become a member? ×

Lobster discovers Fender / Gretsch are telling porkies about spec

fretmeister

I literally just came here to post this. 😅

Early doors, but my gut tells me they will be allowed to call them humbuckers because humbuckers isn't specific enough to lock them into any particular design, and they can say that both pups together is humbucking.

Like, it's obviously deceptive marketing, but it'll probably turn out to be technically within the law.

If that was the case then a strat could be humbucking as well as in positions 2 and 4 it is.

I wonder if it was a bit of sloppy writing when it was launched and the person doing the specs just looked at a picture and thought 'looks like a humbucker'

As an aside, I do like Lobster. He's a proper bass nut who just seems to love the instrument.

Of course he makes every bass sound like him, just like all the other youtube instrument demo players, but he's great anyway. And as silly as it is - I love the lobster hand thing.

The world needs more silliness.

• Like 8

He's my favourite Bass YouTuber. Affable, informative, funny, no ego, zero intent to desperately show you his chops - but still a very decent player. Mostly though, he's always having fun and really loves Bass.

• Like 8

It's still a great sounding short scale bass regardless of the  *not humbucker* issue, which I agree does need to be changed. My world hasn't collapsed because of this revelation however, and I would absolutely get another when I can afford it. In fact I would say one of the best basses I've owned at any price.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Machines said:

I watched this the other day - there's definitely some sensationalism there. Unless he's checked several of them - it could just have been someone in the factory not doing their job properly that day.

he does quote other people testing theirs.

Just now, fretmeister said:

he does quote other people testing theirs.

Ok if that was the bit where he waves his stupid claw about to reveal anything I always skip that. But in that case - yes it's legal, but definitely bad faith. Seems like a very low return short cut from Fender.

On 08/04/2022 at 18:11, Vin Venal said:

Early doors, but my gut tells me they will be allowed to call them humbuckers because humbuckers isn't specific enough to lock them into any particular design, and they can say that both pups together is humbucking.

They say: Gretsch mini dual-coil bass humbucking pickups

That is clearly incorrect. they don't have dual coil and humbucking pickups describe pickups (ie, multiple) that are humbucking, which is a clear enough term.

I like him too, apart from the cringy claw thing (which I guess is just his signature), the fast cuts of the audio making things run together. Over a long period of time, the downward inflection at the end of every sentence bugs a bit. But I guess he can't help his voice and his enthusiasm and in depth reviews win out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bleat said:

It's still a great sounding short scale bass regardless of the  *not humbucker* issue, which I agree does need to be changed. My world hasn't collapsed because of this revelation however, and I would absolutely get another when I can afford it. In fact I would say one of the best basses I've owned at any price.

I agree, these are great basses and while they should be marketed correctly this is a fairly minor issue and shouldn't give the impression that basses are in any way defective. The stock pickup sounds really good. And lots of people upgrade pickups, especially on cheap basses, so what's the big deal?

Mine is sitting next to me on its stand and it gets played every day as my 'go to practice bass'.

That video sticks in the craw.😏

I've not played one before, but have only heard good things and am always tempted when one comes up for sale locally. This doesn't make them a bad bass all of a sudden, or mean the pups don't sound great, so I'd still be tempted by one if it came up.

It's poor form by Fender and their marketing team though. I don't really see what advantage they've gained by lying or why they've decided to go down that route.

I had one, I bought it for my ex to learn on….. the relationship ended, I sold it.

However, while I had it, I really loved it. Great tone and nice to play….. but, wrongly stated specs is just ridiculous. Like Lobster and Bully Bass said…. Just tell us they’re single coils? It’s fine! They sound great.

All very odd. A bit like the lobster claw thing.

48 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

If Gretsch weren't owned by Fender, then the story would be, cheap bass has incorrect spec in listing, and number of people who cared would be scarcely north of zero. Clickbait rubbish from someone I had previously assumed was above that kind of stuff. "FRAUD" 🙄

I don't think it would make any difference and fail to see why it is clickbait.

It seems a pretty clear thing, it says it is one thing and it isn't, either you care about it or you don't but it is incorrectly listed. I personally don't care, although don't understand why they list it incorrectly. I had one and it was fine. Quite a few people I know would be very annoyed about that sort of thing, so it seems a perfectly valid thing for someone to put out.

• Like 2