Why become a member? ×

Squire Jazz setup

Buddster

Hi

I wonder if I can pick some better brains on here.

I bought a Squire vintage vibe 70s Jazz in October last year.  I was pretty disappointed with the initial setup as it came. However, I can do my own setups/fret leveling etc and have now got it playing nice. But that's a story for another thread.

I've been used to Ibanez's in the past and this is the first Fender/Squire I've owned, so not used to their particularities. 

Last week I was tuning up using harmonics on the 5 and 7 and each one rang clear as a bell with nice sustain. Used it at rehursal and sounded great.

Yesterday however, I do the same and the D and G harmonics just sort of clunk, no sustain, no nice tone. The open strings don't sound as clear as they did either. However, the harmonic on the 12th is fine. The 7 not too bad, but the 5 is terrible.

I noticed that the bridges were touching so moved them apart, and it did improve a little. The relief looks a tiny bit less flat than normal.

But as I can't see anything else that has changed that much I'm a bit baffled as to whats happened, and don't want to go round in circles trying to fix it if someone can point to the cause.

Are Squires know to be tempermental and require adjustments? The Iby's are pretty stable.

Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks

*Squier. If the bridge saddles were touching when you checked, did they get knocked or something? How's the intonation and string height, compared to where it was when it sounded good? Have you checked pickup height? Too high and the magnets can pull on the strings and dampen the vibration.

27 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

All OK at the nut?

New Strings? 'Witness Point' press of the strings over the bridge?

The bridge height hasn't changed but I'll try a wiggle at the bridge slot incase the string arn't sat right. 

26 minutes ago, Joe Nation said:

*Squier. If the bridge saddles were touching when you checked, did they get knocked or something? How's the intonation and string height, compared to where it was when it sounded good? Have you checked pickup height? Too high and the magnets can pull on the strings and dampen the vibration.

I literally just took it out the gig bag and tried tuning. Its possible the saddles moved during rehursal. 

String height etc is the same and I've not changed the pickup height.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. 

The intonation was still bang on.

I've managed to pull the sound back, but couldn't say what particularly did it. A little tweak of the bridge hight, a nudge of the pickups, a slacking off/tensioning of the strings. 

I'm enjoying the Jazz, but she's a temperamental thing sometimes