Why become a member? ×

GHS Crossovers, any experience?

NickD

To be fair, I have no real problem with the standard strings that came on my NS Wav 5, the tension is manageable, and using an Upright IR through the Helix, with a mute I get what I think is a passable tone in a mix... but the cost!!! (yeah I know.... real DB strings are even more).

I'd be interested to know if anyone has tried a set of the Crossovers, especially in 5 string, and how they compare in terms of tension, tone, evenness, feel, etc, to the D'Addario Contemporary that the instrument is supplied with. It would be mostly for pizz, but I do dabble with a bow.

I don't need to change, but it makes sense to have a spare set in case of disaster as I'm playing it more and more, and the Crossovers are half the price of the D'Addarios.

TIA!

• 3 months later...

I’ve just fitted a set.  I thought the previous strings on my second-hand NS Wav4 were the original NS Contemporary strings. *** See edit below **** While they were fine for pizz, I wanted to do more arco which didn’t seem to work very well (at least nowhere as well as I can on my DB - it still could be my technique though). I picked the GHS Crossovers based on their blurb on the Gollihur website saying they were like spirocores (and their price!) and Mrs TS bought them from Bass Direct as a birthday present for me.  The G string broke round the tuning peg as I was tuning up to pitch (it broke at about a D, so not too much tension).  I’m still awaiting a new string from the UK distributors. 

As far as the sound goes, through a Fishman Platinum preamp the 3 crossover strings played pizz sound like a fretless bass to me with mwah and are brighter than the previous strings.  They don’t seem to be any easier/better for arco to me but they might improve with time.  They don’t feel as nice as the previous strings, and I think they are higher tension. At the moment I’m not too keen on them and will probably end up playing the Concert Band parts on electric bass rather than taking my NS Wav to rehearsals just because the arco stuff sounds so unmusical - screechy, too many harmonics and thin.  I think they sound less like a DB than the previous strings.  (Although I can make musical noises from my DB, I don’t have a pickup for it yet and I’m definitely not leaving it in the car all day before rehearsal anyway).

So it’s a slightly disappointed from me. To be fair, I’m relatively new to EUB and DB, so probably best to take my thoughts with a pinch of salt. 

Edited to add:

I’ve checked the Gollihur website again for string identification and the previous strings were definitely NS Traditionals.  In that case it could well be that the setup needs some tweaking for arco, or my technique is really crap. 

Edited by TorturedSaints
String identification
  • Like 1

More Mwah was a bit of a red flag. 

Mine are the contemporaries, and the Ninomute brings the mwah down to acceptable levels, but I wouldn't want any more. I suppose the string breakage can happen, but it's pretty poor form.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just to update the topic, I'm still waiting for a new string from the distributor, having already sent a hastening email.   I have found a post from Talkb**s suggesting there might be a more general problem with the G string on GHS Crossovers https://www.talkbass.com/threads/desperately-need-help-ghs-string-problem-w-ns-design-crossovers-for-over-a-year-now.1276430/

Mrs TS is now requesting a refund via PayPal.

Edited to add: my technique has obviously improved as I've taken my NS Wav to rehearsals and been complimented on my sound! (Using the NS Traditional strings).  I'll take feedback like that any time.

Edited by TorturedSaints
added detail.
  • Like 1