Why become a member? ×

Pink Floyd re-form to support Ukraine

Tvrtastic

As a song It's obviously bolted together -  as DG says himself he had to do a "rock god"  bit in the middle! -  but I bought it anyway. It's grown on me, and worth the 99p. It also prompted me to make a proper donation,  so clearly in this case it's achieved exactly what was intended. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

A week before Russia invaded Ukraine, Waters told an interviewer on Russia Today that talk of a Russian invasion was “cow poop ... anybody with an IQ above room temperature knows [an invasion] is nonsense”.

sassy-flirty.gif

He might argue he’s still right because it’s not an invasion, it’s a “special military operation”. 🤔

I've seen quite a few bands who didn't have the original line up and to be honest, I couldn't care less who is on stage as long as they sound right and put on a good show. 

One of the best bands I saw live was Kyuss on their reunion tour. They didn't have Josh Homme but his replacement played the same equipment so it sounded the same and the night was a relentless wall of heavy noise

On 08/04/2022 at 12:13, MacDaddy said:

If Sir Paul and Sir Ringo record together could they release music as The Beatles? :ph34r:

Smith and Gallop are The Cure. They look and sound like The Cure so why not?

Edit: Gilmore, Mason and that looks like Pratt on bass have been the core members of Floyd for eons. Sadly Wright is dead but that song looks and sounds like Floyd (unless only Barret era Floyd counts).

Edited by tegs07

On 09/04/2022 at 10:57, tauzero said:

How little time it took to go from new Pink Floyd song to whether bands should call themselves bands.

I found the video profoundly moving, if you have no humanity in you then you probably won't.

That could be any band in the world. 

It's the members of Pink Floyd, but it doesn't have the sound or feel of any Pink Floyd songs. Possibly due to the lack of Rick Wight's jazz influenced keys. Even the guitar solo is missing some kind of emotion. 

In a similar vein, The Who and Queen will be missing an essential part of their sound. The sum was always greater than the parts in certain bands. I don't know enough about the Worzels or UB40 to make much of them but I'd suggest the Beatles was John and Paul and pretty much anyone else could have backed them. 

29 minutes ago, TimR said:

It's the members of Pink Floyd, but it doesn't have the sound or feel of any Pink Floyd songs. Possibly due to the lack of Rick Wight's jazz influenced keys. Even the guitar solo is missing some kind of emotion.

To me the solo sounds like one of those 'how to do a solo like Dave Gillmour", it is has the right componants, but as you say, seems a bit cobbled.

On 09/04/2022 at 12:51, super al said:

It makes me chuckle that Nick Mason's side project these days is a Pink Floyd tribute act to the early years (very good too!)

Using the Pink Floyd moniker to sell this song is a good idea, I wonder what Rog thinks of it though 🤔

Just as a heads up; Sky Arts channel is showing “A saucer full of secrets” (Nick Masons side project) doing a gig at the Roundhouse, this Thursday 11:30pm.  Nick, Guy Pratt, Gary Kemp, and someone else.  I’ll give it a go as I love the early Floyd stuff....

Haven't heard the song in the OP yet, (will do now) but Wright and Waters were always the guts of the band to me after Syd left,

• Like 3