Why become a member? ×

Pink Floyd re-form to support Ukraine

Tvrtastic

I just heard it on the radio. I know I'll burn but it just reminds me of an average new country entry for Eurovision, which I imagine it would actually win.

I agree with why their reason for doing it though (if that saves me!).

40 minutes ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

Townshend & Daltrey don't have any problem in billing themselves as the Who, so I don't see why not.

Depends who owns the name.

I guess Yoko would have control of Lennon's share of the Beatles. Who can guess what decision she'd make!

1 hour ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

Townshend & Daltrey don't have any problem in billing themselves as the Who, so I don't see why not.

And let's not get into the travesty of Brian and Roger calling themselves Queen.

It's not Queen without John Deacon, never mind Freddie!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

Ive seen a few bands with none of the original members. There was a time when there was a Wurzles tribute band with more original Wurzles members than the actual band. 

A Wurzles tribute band? Now I have heard everything!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, StingRayBoy42 said:

And let's not get into the travesty of Brian and Roger calling themselves Queen.

It's not Queen without John Deacon, never mind Freddie!

Did you buy tickets to see Queen and find yourself shocked and dismayed by the absence of Freddie Mercury?

• Haha 1

How many bands keep the original line up for their whole career? I'm sure most don't. If they did they'd probably get a bit sterile. Sometimes bands improve with new members, I've never heard anyone say Faith No More were better with Courtney Love.

I once said online somewhere that I thought Paz was a better bassist than Kim Deal in the Pixies. I was actually murdered for that comment. 

• Like 1

Original lineups are hard, albeit not impossible, to find, especially with bands that have been around for a significant time, natural attrition, as mentioned in this very thread, is unavoidable, at least eventually. When it comes to Pink Floyd, there are those who bemoaned the lack of Syd Barrett, for ages. The Who is a weird one, as everyone of the original line up brought something special to the sound, the same can be said for Zeppelin, although Jason makes the perfect replacement for his old man. For the ultimate ‘are they the actual band?’ scenario, look no further than Wishbone Ash and the court case that surrounded that debacle. 

20 hours ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

If its up to Yoko they'd probably only be allowed to call themselves the Beatles if they include her in John's place doing her rendition of a howler monkey with sudden trauma to the nuts.

They could be "Ono, It's The Whotles!"

44 minutes ago, ezbass said:

For the ultimate ‘are they the actual band?’ scenario, look no further than Wishbone Ash and the court case that surrounded that debacle. 

Barclay James Harvest did a similar acrimonious firework. There are now two BJHs doing the rounds, with one original member each. 

• Thanks 1