Why become a member? ×

Studio Rehearsal Room Build!

binky_bass

Not yet. I suspect it'll take a bit of fettling to get a sound we're happy with. I might make some sound dampening panels for the walls over the next week or two, it'll be a bit of a work in progress to achieve the right sound, but at least the building and the loading in is done! 

6 hours ago, stereoplayer said:

I’d have to say your builders did a fine and quick job! Congrats on your new space!

Grant (our builder) was indeed very good! We nearly didn't go with him because he's quite young (27) and had only just started his own business, but after 5 quotes, he was the one that came across as the most knowledge, professional and most importantly honest - he didn't try and hard sell us and spoke candidly about costs and what his approach would be. Price wise, he wasn't the cheapest but wasn't the dearest. 

Anyone looking for a builder in Essex, I'd highly recommend him! Company name is 'Ace Building Services Essex'. 

• Like 1

A few finishing touches, mics, effects, wall hangers, pictures, WiFi, fridge, kettle etc. 

Had a proper loud mini-practice today, purposefully to hear what the volume will be like at the house 200ft away - with the windows and doors to the studio closed, and if you then stand outside the back door of my house, you can barely hear anything - if you're in the house with the doors closed you can't hear it at all. Good for the neighbours! Inside the room it is absolutely deafening at the 'test' volume we played at, we won't play at that volume during usual practice, but it is good to know that we can play VERY loud and still not bother the neighbours at all! 

We now have exceptionally strong WiFi down there too thanks to a WiFi powerline adapter (a fantastic bit of kit!) You plug one adapter into a wall socket by your router and connect it to the router with a ethernet cable, then the second adapter (which transmits WiFi) plugs into a wall socket in the studio, it uses the 16mm power supply we have moled underground to carry internet to the studio and then the adapter in the studio transmits the WiFi via the plug in adapter. Cost me just under £90 for the set up include a 5 way ethernet port that I've connected to the router. So now the RING alarm system is working, as is chromecast for the TV and as are the WiFi enabled radiators! Basically, that's it 100% done. 😁

Not bad considering we broke ground 8 weeks ago!

20220531_170436.thumb.jpg.7b894b7ef5fb50beb4d86c7b4873ab21.jpg

20220531_170428.thumb.jpg.e236c4c42fde608a6b9e301065149d0d.jpg

20220531_170417.thumb.jpg.e83e5cfd64030a2cf89c9794a0651d78.jpg

Edited by binky_bass
  • Like 13

1 hour ago, binky_bass said:

Had a proper loud mini-practice today, purposefully to hear what the volume will be like at the house 200ft away - with the windows and doors to the studio closed, and if you then stand outside the back door of my house, you can barely hear anything - if you're in the house with the doors closed you can't hear it at all. Good for the neighbours! Inside the room it is absolutely deafening at the 'test' volume we played at, we won't play at that volume during usual practice, but it is good to know that we can play VERY loud and still not bother the neighbours at all! 

Awesome!  

7 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

I thought you were having some sort of dedicated point-to-point wireless connection for the internet? What happened to that?

Expense! I was planning on doing just that as I thought it was the only viable option for strong and stable Internet that far from the router in the main house - that option was around £400 and involved drilling through a wall, running an external ethernet cable round the outside of the house, mounting a transmitter to the house and a receiver to the studio etc. 

The powerline adapter route was £90 for all the bits and works extremely well - I had heard that powerline adapters don't do well going through 2 separate consumer units, but this one (TP-Link AV1000 WiFi) works perfectly. I think the fact its running down a 16mm 3 Core cable as opposed to thinner typical house wiring helps...

£90 vs £400 for effectively the same result - no brainer!

Edited by binky_bass
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, binky_bass said:

Expense! I was planning on doing just that as I thought it was the only viable option for strong and stable Internet that far from the router in the main house - that option was around £400 and involved drilling through a wall, running an external ethernet cable round the outside of the house, mounting a transmitter to the house and a receiver to the studio etc. 

The powerline adapter route was £90 for all the bits and works extremely well - I had heard that powerline adapters don't do well going through 2 separate consumer units, but this one (TP-Link AV1000 WiFi) works perfectly. I think the fact its running down a 16mm 3 Core cable as opposed to thinner typical house wiring helps...

£90 vs £400 for effectively the same result - no brainer!

Fair enough. My personal experience with Powerline adaptors has been variable, and has also been that they are dependant upon the other devices using the mains they are attached to. Just be aware that if you add anything with a large current draw to either end of the Powerline circuit it may not continue to work as well. Also as I said previously there is documented evidence that they can introduce noise into the mains which in turn can affect audio equipment.

3 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Fair enough. My personal experience with Powerline adaptors has been variable, and has also been that they are dependant upon the other devices using the mains they are attached to. Just be aware that if you add anything with a large current draw to either end of the Powerline circuit it may not continue to work as well. Also as I said previously there is documented evidence that they can introduce noise into the mains which in turn can affect audio equipment.

I shall keep an eye on it and see how it goes. So far it's strong and stable. This space is definitely more of a practice/rehearsal studio more than a recording studio so it won't interfer much if at all with our equipment.