Why become a member? ×

Studio Rehearsal Room Build!

binky_bass

On 18/04/2022 at 20:01, binky_bass said:

The 10m x 4m steel base is now down, got a delivery of 200 odd meters of timber coming tomorrow...

For a size reference, you can see my wife in the bottom corner of the base, it's is quite large! 

20220418_191128.thumb.jpg.7514b38549e3b5106421af5e4899f662.jpg

Did the steel framework prove cheaper than pouring concrete, or was there another reason for going that route?

The 28 ground screws and the 10m x 4m framework was around 3.7k to have made and installed. The difficulty with concrete is getting up the garden, there is access from the side of the front of the house, but the location of the studio is 200ft+ up the garden, call it 300ft from the closest location a cement mixer could park. Also, there's the issue of the land being slightly sloped, so they would have had to remove another 50 odd tons of dirt to level the ground and dig the trenches which all would have needed to be barrowed down the garden and taken away by a grabber lorry. They've removed 40 tons of dirt as it is, with the ground screws, they can be 'ground level' at the back and raised by up to 1ft at the front to allow for level building on unlevel ground. Using ground screws and framework probably saved a weeks labour and is just as strong so thats where the cost saving is, it's also flexible to a degree so wouldn't crack under ground movement.

• Like 3

Looks great. I'm planning a small 5x4m practice room in my garden though after hearing of the sound spill from a friend's wooden build studio I have decided to go with a more solid construction. I'm going for Durisol bricks https://www.durisoluk.com/why-durisol/the-range/ which are woodcrete construction, insulated and you fill the cavity with concrete. Once the plans are drawn up I can see what the cost will be. If too expensive i will go with a traditional brick and block construction.  My garden isn't as long as this one so I am more concerned with getting maximum sound attenuation at an affordable price.

• Like 2

We might have changed the plan if we didn't have good distance from the two neighbours either side of us and zero neighbours to the rear. I've no doubt there'll be some sound spill, but I'm confident it won't be as issue given the location.

On 28/04/2022 at 18:34, jazzyvee said:

Looks great. I'm planning a small 5x4m practice room in my garden though after hearing of the sound spill from a friend's wooden build studio I have decided to go with a more solid construction. I'm going for Durisol bricks https://www.durisoluk.com/why-durisol/the-range/ which are woodcrete construction, insulated and you fill the cavity with concrete. Once the plans are drawn up I can see what the cost will be. If too expensive i will go with a traditional brick and block construction.  My garden isn't as long as this one so I am more concerned with getting maximum sound attenuation at an affordable price.

Thanks for sharing,  those Durisol bricks look a good alternative for self builders. 

On 28/04/2022 at 18:34, jazzyvee said:

Looks great. I'm planning a small 5x4m practice room in my garden though after hearing of the sound spill from a friend's wooden build studio I have decided to go with a more solid construction. I'm going for Durisol bricks https://www.durisoluk.com/why-durisol/the-range/ which are woodcrete construction, insulated and you fill the cavity with concrete. 

Oh yes, remember seeing that on one of those house building programs, George Clark I think. Didn't remember what they were called at the time but the house is featured on their site.

• Like 1

A photo from Friday...

At close of play today the first fix electrics are in, 1.2 tons of plaster board have been marched down the garden and the roof is felted. 

Still a few weeks left, but it's really getting there!

20220429_181129.thumb.jpg.8a2f42264e9201bfdf953bdeb737f093.jpg

• Like 7

Close of play today... started to pelt it down with rain and the windows/doors aren't yet in... hopefully that won't cause issues.

Back of building facing towards front door/shower room.

20220504_172528.thumb.jpg.e33acc28a5a84cfe22a98ff91585d3d9.jpg

Loo/shower room.

20220504_172547.thumb.jpg.c572e64f8a6425747d2990848535bb2f.jpg

• Like 5

Got most of the bathroom fitted and some painting done. Had a few issues... the painter sprayed the room and either forgot to seal the plaster or did it poorly, the paint where the walls meets the ceiling has started to peel so they've had to sand it back and redo it. Also the splashwalls for the shower have been provided by B&Q in the incorrect orientation so they'll be funding removal and re-installation of new panels. All that being said, it's moving forward!

20220516_162500.thumb.jpg.59d0e8bf9a8542d395c086332f1e75f3.jpg

20220516_162517.thumb.jpg.857db421363dda708e9cec7ce252b0f1.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Pea Turgh said:

You’ve got a load of space to put in some decent acoustic treatment.  Are you buying or making panels?  They are easy and cheap to DIY.

I was going to say: that's a lot of hard reflective surfaces. It will be interesting to see how you are going to treat it.

It's going to be a bit of a multifunctional space, so will have more than just drums and amps in it - the plan really at the moment is to see how it all sounds as is once we've 'moved in' and treat the room accordingly over a period of a few weeks. 

Carpet will go some way to taming the room.

Is this just going to be a rehearsal space or will you be recording here too? If you hope to do anything better than basic demos, it may be an idea to have some of the carpet removable, so you can create a "hard surface" area in one part of the room for recording instruments that will benefit from it.

You might also need to look at any spaces between the floor metalwork and the ground. Unwanted resonances can build up in any untreated space.

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

Carpet will go some way to taming the room.

Is this just going to be a rehearsal space or will you be recording here too? If you hope to do anything better than basic demos, it may be an idea to have some of the carpet removable, so you can create a "hard surface" area in one part of the room for recording instruments that will benefit from it.

You might also need to look at any spaces between the floor metalwork and the ground. Unwanted resonances can build up in any untreated space.

Good tips sir, but I'm not going that deep down the rabbit hole... yet!

It's definitely more of a rehearsal space for my band, but it will also house a few bits of gym equipment as well as a sofa, TV, some furniture and of course the bathroom. So yes it's predominantly for the band, but it's also extra general living space and will also double as a poker lounge for our quarterly game! :)

Edited by binky_bass

44 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

It's definitely more of a rehearsal space for my band, but it will also house a few bits of gym equipment as well as a sofa, TV, some furniture and of course the bathroom. So yes it's predominantly for the band, but it's also extra general living space and will also double as a poker lounge for our quarterly game! :)

Soft furnishings will definitely help the acoustics, so will curtains over the windows and door if you are going to fit them. However there's still a lot of what look like hard reflective surfaces. 

1 hour ago, binky_bass said:

So, a man cave then?

1 hour ago, Velarian said:

So, a man cave then?

Probably a more fitting description, final photos once we're 'moved in' will be the decider. 

Primary use is for band rehearsal/writing absolutely. Secondary use is a place to house a few bits of cardio gym equipment - or 'band fitness gig stamina training devices' as they shall be referred to!

• Haha 1