Why become a member? ×

Studio Rehearsal Room Build!

binky_bass

22 hours ago, Si600 said:

Why is the reinforcement zig zag on one end and straight at the other?

They add floor (horizontal) bracing in triangles in buildings usually on each floor of a building to help transfer the forces from wind that can hit the side of the building to the vertical bracing. 
This is a much simplified explanation and other floor structures can be used to do this job without the horizontal bracing 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Beedster said:

This is moving along nicely binky! Would it be rude to ask the approx budget for the build, I'm looking to do much the same thing when we finally move, all going well in June? 

The budget was far less than the actual cost! 

It'll be a shade over 40k once done. That's all in including all costs for everything. Bear in mind it'll have a loo, shower, sink etc. as well as the fairly chunky cost of running the utilities and a 16mm 3 core cable 220ft up the garden underground! It's a 10m x 4m building so quite large too. 

Once the builder has finished for the day I'll put up another picture, it's quite amazing how quick progress is! 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Pea Turgh said:

I’m far too in to these sorts of things - what will be the finished internal room height?  I’m halfway through a very slow build and had to keep the exterior height below 2.5metres, so internally it’s… cosy.

The internal room height will be around 2.5m, so we're OK for inside height space, which is good as I'm 6"4. It's pretty much the height of a standard ceiling.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, binky_bass said:

The budget was far less than the actual cost! 

It'll be a shade over 40k once done. That's all in including all costs for everything. Bear in mind it'll have a loo, shower, sink etc. as well as the fairly chunky cost of running the utilities and a 16mm 3 core cable 220ft up the garden underground! It's a 10m x 4m building so quite large too. 

Once the builder has finished for the day I'll put up another picture, it's quite amazing how quick progress is! 

Thanks mate, that’s a pretty serious budget! Is the floor suspended, and what level of sound insulation will you have when finished. Must be very exciting 👍

2 hours ago, MGBrown said:

Looks great! Plenty of insulation for walls, floor and ceiling?

6 minutes ago, Beedster said:

Thanks mate, that’s a pretty serious budget! Is the floor suspended, and what level of sound insulation will you have when finished. Must be very exciting 👍

It'll be white rendered on the outside with 3 layers on insulation on the inside, clad over and plastered. It won't be wholly sound proofed but the walls will have some good thickness and a lot of insulation so it'll keep most of the noise in. It is a fair way away from the nearest neighbour, probably 250ft or so if you draw a diagonal line from where the drum kit and PA will be to the nearest neighbours house. 

The floor is suspended on a steel frame mounted to 28 5ft ground screws, the floor will have similar insulation to the walls and ceiling too. 

Should be a great building once done. It has roughly the same square footage as my first flat. 

We practice on Thursday evenings between 6pm and about 1030pm so we'll be inside noise curfew too. 👍

Edited by binky_bass

Are you building a room-in-a-room for isolation?  Or doing “hat & channel” mounting the plasterboard?  I only ask as am assuming the dB level will be quite high, and neighbours might get funny after a few weeks of noise.

I’m really close to loads of other houses, so am going all in on my build to minimise noise leakage.  You have a decent distance to closest neighbours by the looks of it.

I am an enthusiast, definitely not any sort of authority, so please take anything I say with a pocketful of rocksalt, but here’s what I found on the web;  a drum kit is regularly quoted as 120dB, so @ 75 metres that would still be 82.5dB, which would still wind up the suitably inclined.

What materials are to be used internally?  Plasterboard is about 10kg per M sq, and home studios trying not to bother anyone usually go for a system with a 40kg per M sq in their wall structure.

E9D3361F-836C-41B5-A273-36D491EBE0B6.png

FDD5CF17-5FF5-4FC6-B27D-729EC7D09E03.webp

2 hours ago, Pea Turgh said:

Are you building a room-in-a-room for isolation?  Or doing “hat & channel” mounting the plasterboard?  I only ask as am assuming the dB level will be quite high, and neighbours might get funny after a few weeks of noise.

I’m really close to loads of other houses, so am going all in on my build to minimise noise leakage.  You have a decent distance to closest neighbours by the looks of it.

Just to clarify, I'm not building this so I don't know what those terms mean! 

It'll simply be a well insulated building - there is no 'official' sound proofing. 

As mentioned we have structured band practice times between 1830 and 2230 on Thursdays. The building will be well insulated which will form a decent level of sound proofing.

I assume your other comment as to the declination in dB over distance is based on there being no barrier between the drum kit and the listener 75m away? So that drop you've mentioned will be significantly improved by there being a building to form a barrier. 

At any rate, we won't be breaking any laws by playing music up until 2230! 

Edited by binky_bass

26 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

As mentioned we have structured band practice times between 1830 and 1030 on Thursdays. 

The pedant in me cannot resist pointing out that a 16 hour band practice might be quite draining. 

• Haha 7

If I may share some experience of my garden "studio" build.... We took a solidly constructed garage style outbuilding, and used "acoustic" grade rockwool (RW3 or RWA45, can't remember which) - it is heavier than the standard stuff. We then built a room within a room using 4"x2" and used the same rockwool within that (1" air gap between walls), then lined with double layers of plasterboard with green glue between. We also used acoustic double glazed units - but I suspect adding secondary glazing would be beneficial. 

I would try at least to pay attention to preventing air leakage - good door seals etc, as it is surprising how even small gaps let noise out - cymbals cut through the smallest gaps! We took care to include airflow, with air in and out via a "silwnt" fan through a long wiggly insulation lined hose to cut noise egress.

Anything you can do at this stage to improve things - even if you don't go nuts with double walls etc - will be worthwhile. So do consider hefty insulation etc....

Edited by RichardH

Under that wool insulation is a 200mm thick layer of Jablite. And on top of that wool will be 50mm thermal insulation board, so it should be quite well sound proofed between the wood and render walls - maybe not to a professional standard, but I'm quite confident it'll be fine for the position of the studio. 4 more weeks and we shall see!! 

Edited by binky_bass
  • Like 1

On 08/04/2022 at 16:09, BigRedX said:

If this was my studio build, I'd seriously consider only having wired network connectivity to discourage others from constantly checking their phones when we should be getting on with the more serious business of making music without distractions, but then again I'm starting to turn into a grumpy old man...

"What's your WiFi password?", "What's your WiFi password?", "What's your WiFi password?" ...

• Like 1