Why become a member? ×

Ampeg 610 hlf vs Ampeg neo cabs

Smiles

Hi guys has anyone had experience with the Ampeg svt 610 hlf 

As they’re only a 600 watt cab can they get loud without the speakers farting out , I play in a 9 piece band so there’s a lot of sound on stage so really need to hear myself.

currently using Ashdown ABM 410 / 115 cabs with ABM 600 evo IV 

Also has anyone had experience with the Ampeg neo cabs as thinking whether the 410 / 210 neo as an option , just can’t find equipment to try out in the shops these days 

thanks guys 

I used the 410 version on a tour a few years back and it was great. My rig at the time was similar, ABM600 with ABM410 & 210. The SVT410HLF with my amp head was pretty similar for volume settings so can only assume the 610 will more than match up. I have read that the HLFs are just bottom end flub but that wasn’t my experience, I had a twangy driven sound and it was fine, didn’t even change my eq.

I was lucky enough to play through a 610 and SVT CL set up at a festival a couple of years ago, definitely one of the nicest bass sounds I have had on stage, for comparison I normally use a Markbass 1x12 combo with another 1x12 extension cab but I used to tour with a Mesa Boogie 1516e and a Trace Elliot twin valve head, whilst I love the weight and portability of the the Mark Bass set up the old hefty gear still sounds superior to my ears! 

Due to the porting there is far more low end extension on the 610 and 410 hlf than the sealed 810. 

I have recorded an EP with one and used them live. Very good cabs. There are modern lightweight cabs these days that are louder and more portable and with modern PA systems and monitoring nobody really ‘needs’ a 610 anymore. 

With that said my main cab is a Mesa 6x10…

• Haha 1

Thanks for that yep I still feel I need something with a little height so it’s not just my knees hearing the sound , I play in a 9 piece Ska band and with our stage set I’m very close to my rig , to save lugging both my cabs around I have tried using just the 410 before but just couldn’t hear it as it was so low down , obviously I understand that it  dropped my rig to 8ohm’s so wasn’t getting full power from the amp , just want to ditch the 410 / 115 set up I’ve used for many years for ideally a one cab solution but like I say I think it still needs to have some height to it , another option is to put a smaller cab on a stand / plinth but then again that’s another piece of equipment to carry which kind of defeats the object 

I would consider the Ampeg neo cabs modular set 410 / 210 but there appears to be very few people who have used those plus would be a very pricy rig which is not ideal but still interested to hear what they’re like 

thanks again 

stuart 

I would think that stacking two 2x10 cabs vertically might be a good idea if is all about having something audible at ear level. That would actually be a taller stack than a 6x10 and much more portable, easier to move and take up less space in the car/van.

From experience a smaller cab and a plinth is a lot easier to shift than a single 6x10 if you are trying to load out by yourself at 1am because the rest of the band have gone AWOL after saying that they would help pack up! It also will take up less space in a car/van. 

A bit of a coincidence as I have been looking at Ampeg 410s.  My current set up are Barefaced Two10s with SVT 7 Pro/V4B, but was curious how they would sound with Ampeg cabs.  So I tried the Pro Neo 210.  It is certainly a more tighter and cleaner sound, probably more modern sounding.  It had a bit more low end extension than the BF and less colourised.  There was certainly the Ampeg sound there, but didn't quite have the low mids or thick sound I was hoping for.  I don't know if it is price point but the Ampeg neo doesn't get a lot of love since it was introduced in 2010.

I was hoping to try out the Ampeg Heritage 410HLF but they are not easy to get hold of in UK.  These are USA made and apparently have a slightly better controlled low-end than the standard 410HLF.  PMT have one in stock, but no discount on it and £65 delivery charge!

22 hours ago, Smiles said:

Thanks Roger appreciate your reply did you find you could push it pretty hard without it breaking up 

stu 

It had more headroom than I could have possibly needed on stage so I didn't need to even start pushing it at all!

8 hours ago, Sarlscharisma said:

A bit of a coincidence as I have been looking at Ampeg 410s.  My current set up are Barefaced Two10s with SVT 7 Pro/V4B, but was curious how they would sound with Ampeg cabs.  So I tried the Pro Neo 210.  It is certainly a more tighter and cleaner sound, probably more modern sounding.  It had a bit more low end extension than the BF and less colourised.  There was certainly the Ampeg sound there, but didn't quite have the low mids or thick sound I was hoping for.  I don't know if it is price point but the Ampeg neo doesn't get a lot of love since it was introduced in 2010.

I was hoping to try out the Ampeg Heritage 410HLF but they are not easy to get hold of in UK.  These are USA made and apparently have a slightly better controlled low-end than the standard 410HLF.  PMT have one in stock, but no discount on it and £65 delivery charge!

Thanks for the reply really useful info 

Stu 

10 hours ago, thodrik said:

I would think that stacking two 2x10 cabs vertically might be a good idea if is all about having something audible at ear level. That would actually be a taller stack than a 6x10 and much more portable, easier to move and take up less space in the car/van.

From experience a smaller cab and a plinth is a lot easier to shift than a single 6x10 if you are trying to load out by yourself at 1am because the rest of the band have gone AWOL after saying that they would help pack up! It also will take up less space in a car/van. 

Good suggestions thanks for that 

Stu 

On 06/04/2022 at 14:17, Smiles said:

Hi guys has anyone had experience with the Ampeg svt 610 hlf 

As they’re only a 600 watt cab

Ampeg is conservative with their power ratings. Where farting out is concerned that happens when the drivers run out of excursion. There are many tens rated at 250w that have no more excursion capability than the 100w rated Ampeg ten.

+1. The 410 is the poster child of how not to build a bass cab, as neither you nor the audience will hear it anywhere near as well as those same four tens vertically stacked in a pair of 210 cabs.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

Ampeg is conservative with their power ratings. Where farting out is concerned that happens when the drivers run out of excursion. There are many tens rated at 250w that have no more excursion capability than the 100w rated Ampeg ten.

+1. The 410 is the poster child of how not to build a bass cab, as neither you nor the audience will hear it anywhere near as well as those same four tens vertically stacked in a pair of 210 cabs.

Completely agree with Bill.

I use 2 vertically stacked 210s now and the miniscule power needed to hear them is ridiculous. I literally have my markbass head at no more than 9 o'clock  for biggins gigs and it's as loud as I'd ever need.