Why become a member? ×

Ed Sheeran wins Shape of You copyright case

MacDaddy

7 hours ago, leftybassman392 said:

@fretmeister Thank you for your contributions to this thread. I'm not interested enough in the outcome of the case to care much either way, but it is refreshing to hear from somebody who knows how it actually works.

My sentiment exactly, this thread was a great read for that reason 👍

• Like 2

TBH, modern music is so utterly unadventurous and formulaic, the songs are all clones of each other. No-one owns any of it. Added to which, if there was a judgement to be made on musical content, why on earth would you consult a lawyer? Or is it just me?

11 minutes ago, robscott said:

TBH, modern music is so utterly unadventurous and formulaic, the songs are all clones of each other. No-one owns any of it. Added to which, if there was a judgement to be made on musical content, why on earth would you consult a lawyer? Or is it just me?

Because it’s not really about music.

Its about the alleged theft of intellectual property. The type of property isn’t really important.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, robscott said:

TBH, modern music is so utterly unadventurous and formulaic, the songs are all clones of each other.

I'm not so sure about that....it may seem that way from my (and your?) age perspective, but it's probably not true, and there was lots of formulaic stuff in previous eras.

• Like 3

ES writes a good tune (you can easily whistle, hum or sing), has a good voice and a cheeky smile, just what a good pop song wants.

I'd rather listen to ES than some of the songs we had to endure in the top 10 in the "golden period" of pop music.

Edited by chris_b

16 hours ago, robscott said:

TBH, modern music is so utterly unadventurous and formulaic, the songs are all clones of each other. 

Eh? There's loads of new, refreshing, innovative original stuff out there. You might not find it on R1, but...

• Like 2

16 hours ago, robscott said:

That has always been the way with pop music, the majority is bland copies, but there is a lot of decent stuff out there. Same as now, except I think there is even more good stuff than there used to be.

• Like 2

On 09/04/2022 at 12:43, fretmeister said:

This assumption of innocence until proven otherwise is a vital part of a fair system. The state isn’t limited to the crap legal aid rates that the defendant has. The state can spend millions on a prosecution if they want. It’s such an uneven playing field that innocence must be the starting point.

OTOH, CPS barristers (like my brother-in-law) aren't exactly paid a fortune. Still, legal aid has been eroded over the last decade or so, which is quite disgraceful.

If you want something to be angry about with good reason then try these 2.

1: If you are not eligible for legal aid so you have to pay your own lawyer and you are found Not Guilty then the state does not have to reimburse your costs even if clearing your name made you bankrupt and homeless.

2: If you are wrongfully convicted and later an appeal finds you not guilty then unless another person is found guilty of that offence the government position is that the question of guilt is not yet resolved so you get zero compensation for being locked up for 20 years.

Then, if another person is convicted so you can get compensation (you’ll love this) your room and board expenses from being in prison are deducted from the compensation amount, because you would have needed to pay for them outside anyway.

Has that second point changed since the Birmingham 6? No-one else has been prosecuted for that but they were awarded compensation (as you say, less their room and board expenses which is really adding insult to injury), although it took a decade from their release.

2 hours ago, tauzero said:

OTOH, CPS barristers (like my brother-in-law) aren't exactly paid a fortune. Still, legal aid has been eroded over the last decade or so, which is quite disgraceful.

Has that second point changed since the Birmingham 6? No-one else has been prosecuted for that but they were awarded compensation (as you say, less their room and board expenses which is really adding insult to injury), although it took a decade from their release.

Much more recently. IIRC it was when Grayling was Minister for Justice. or thereabouts.

There are slightly more methods of getting money than I said but we’d be here all day. But the govt overall position is that there must be proof of another’s guilt rather than your own conviction “just” not being safe.

I've seen this a while ago, and it's very true. There are also similarities in between metal/rock songs or metal and pop. 

E.g. the start of the guitar solo by Adrian Smith in The Gangland from The Number of The Beast, is similar to The Final Countdown by Europe.

The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner- Iron Maiden intro is similar to that of It's a Sin by Pet Shop Boys.

On 09/04/2022 at 21:08, robscott said:

Totally agree, doesn't need much creativity to compose either. Have you ever listened to the quality on the monthly Basschat challenge?

Edited by SH73

Unfortunately, there's also a lot more to making a piece of music popular than just making the music.

Even if both were exactly the same it's probably the Sheeran one that'd get most popular down to presentation, marketing, 'brand' recognition, distribution etc. 

On 10/04/2022 at 13:31, barkin said:

Eh? There's loads of new, refreshing, innovative original stuff out there. You might not find it on R1, but...

Yeah, but we were talking about Ed Sheeran remember? Nothing against ES but intellectual property? Come on!

On 10/04/2022 at 11:35, Nail Soup said:

I'm not so sure about that....it may seem that way from my (and your?) age perspective, but it's probably not true, and there was lots of formulaic stuff in previous eras.

Yeah there was, but nobody went running to their lawyers over it (well, Taurus did of course). I just think modern day "musicians" who write a 3 minute song and think they've invented something new and unique are a bit up themselves that's all. It's probably just my age.....

1 hour ago, robscott said:

Yeah there was, but nobody went running to their lawyers over it (well, Taurus did of course). I just think modern day "musicians" who write a 3 minute song and think they've invented something new and unique are a bit up themselves that's all. It's probably just my age.....

George Harrison nicked "My Sweet Lord" and got sued in the 70s. Rod Stewart accepted that he'd subconsciously stolen "D'ya Think I'm Sexy" and the Hollies have a writing credit on Creep by Radiohead who didn't even bother trying to claim they hadn't nicked it.