Why become a member? ×

Stone Temple Pilots

SteveXFR

27 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Purple is THE Stone Temple Pilots album IMHO. In some ways a little odd that the difficult sophomore album turned out to be their best work, but I don’t think they bettered it. Tiny Music was good, but didn’t quite take the crown for me. Not a duff track on Purple though. 

I'll agree with that. 

1 hour ago, SteveXFR said:

I think a lot of new American rock bands in the early 90's kind of ended up with the grunge label whether they wanted it or not.

I don't think STP, Pearl Jam or Soundgarden were really grunge bands. They were excellent rock bands from America with a bit of an alternative sound. I always think of grunge as bands like Melvins, Mudhoney, Tad and early, pre Nevermind Nirvana. 

Disclaimer:  This is just my opinion and not scientifically proven fact. I accept that it may be wrong. 

Kind of agree and I don't really think of AiC as grunge either and they're definitely not metal. I guess grunge was a useful label to differentiate them from all the terrible mainstream rock coming out of the US in the 70s-80s.

I saw STP at Brixton, I think, with Scott back in the 90's and he came whirling on stage in a black flat leather police style cap, mirror shades and a voluminous white feather boa. I can still picture it so vividly, even now. Great showman.
Also saw Jeff with them a couple of years ago just before covid, and was apprehensive about him replacing Scott, but to me he did a great job of honouring the memories while adding new material. It was one of those gigs that within minutes I was taken away to a happy place and it became quite a fantastic evening.

And yes, Rob is a cool bass player, to listen to and to watch too, he has a laid back style of his own!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

I think a lot of new American rock bands in the early 90's kind of ended up with the grunge label whether they wanted it or not.

I don't think STP, Pearl Jam or Soundgarden were really grunge bands. They were excellent rock bands from America with a bit of an alternative sound. I always think of grunge as bands like Melvins, Mudhoney, Tad and early, pre Nevermind Nirvana. 

Disclaimer:  This is just my opinion and not scientifically proven fact. I accept that it may be wrong. 

I hold my hands up and admit to lumping all of the rock bands from the early 90's as Grunge but what the hell is Grunge anyway? You come from Seattle in the early 90's? That's the worst reason for labelling music I have ever heard. Music should be labelled by its style or type if at all.

As far as I am concerned, that kind of sleazy American type rock that was prevalent in the 90's is a better reason to call something Grunge.

2 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Purple is THE Stone Temple Pilots album IMHO. In some ways a little odd that the difficult sophomore album turned out to be their best work, but I don’t think they bettered it. Tiny Music was good, but didn’t quite take the crown for me. Not a duff track on Purple though. 

Purple is great but for me it has to be Core. Especially the unplugged versions of Crackerman, Wicked Garden, Plush, Creep and Sex Type Thing.

On 06/04/2022 at 10:15, SteveXFR said:

STP are a band I've always kind of liked but never really taken much time to really listen to them. Yesterday I put on Core, I'd never realised before just how interesting their bass lines are. I spent most of yesterday evening working out Plush.

It's always great to suddenly discover something I already knew was so much more interesting than I ever realised.

Yes. ‘Core’ is a great album. That whole grunge era in general. You will be surprised what basslines you can find from it. I never paid attention to robert deleo’s basslines until I heard the mtv unplugged version of ‘plush’. A great performance. His runs are well placed and tasteful; offering enough variation but without taking all the attention. Shame about Scott Weiland.

• Like 1

On 06/04/2022 at 20:17, SteveXFR said:

The bass lines are interesting rather than difficult. 

That's a fair comment.

We cover 'Interstate Love Song'.  Not difficult technically but there isn't much pure repetition, the verses and choruses change slightly, just enough to keep you on your toes.

Edited by BillyBass
  • Like 1