Why become a member? ×

New higher end combo recommendations/experience sought

Bass Culture

As my playing is pretty much combined to the bedroom these days I'm thinking of changing my small 'stack' (TC RH750 and 2 x Purple Chili 1 x10 cans) for a high end 1 x 12 (preferably) or 1 x 10 combo.  Considerations are light weight, decent bottom end and - ideally - a decent on board compressor and maybe an in-built tuner.  I play finger style and don't slap so a I don't anything with a tweeter.  Budget would in or around £1k.  I like the look of the GK Fusion combo, and the GR AT Cubes look a good shout too.  Anyone heard them or use either of these?  Or are there any others models I should be looking at that fit the bill.  Gigs are rare but they should be gig-able too - so a decent DI for PA use is a must too.  What does the hive mind recommend?  Thanks.

I have an AER Amp One and it is shockingly loud for its size. It has a good on board compressor and sounds great with all my basses. Highly recommended.  I’m sure the other AER combos are worth a look, too, as they are a bit bigger and may provide exactly what you’re looking for. Don’t underestimate the Amp One though, it does the business.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AER AMP 1 or 3 - used as over budget new. Great power and sound with super flexible pre and Eq. Connectivity is most complete I’ve ever encountered.

Hard not to recommend the Markbass 121p or its derivatives.

As you say, GR AT do look nice.

• Thanks 1

@tauzerohas one of the GR combos - forgive me I can’t remember which - but that was immediately my first thought reading your  first sentence Mark.

Id be very tempted by them or indeed the GK Fusion combo if I were looking at that sort of thing right now :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TCE BG250-208, 112 or 115, (built in tuner & Spectracomp). 

I have a 208 for a lightweight & an all in one package. It projects well & is surprisingly loud for 125 watts. It also has a L/S speakon out to get the full 250 watts. The 112 & 115 do not, they give the full 250 watts as is. 

Edited by grandad
  • Thanks 1

I'm sitting in my living room with my bass. I'm going through my bands setlist and I'm plugged into my Markbass CMD 121P, which is sitting next to me on the sofa.

it makes a great home practice amp, as it's small and light but it is extremely gig worthy and can keep up with a loud drummer (you can also plug in an extension cab for added oomph if needed).

I've never heard a bad word against them, which i why I bought one.

Edited by gjones
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the suggestions so far.  I did play through a MB 2x10 combo at a rehearsal the other week (the tilt back one, can't remember the model number) and was really impressed by it. I could spend more if needed but it sounds like there's a lot of love for the MB CP 121.

The Markbass CMD121 is excellent and easily giggable.  If you want the very best, then it has to be AER amp one or amp three.  The amp one is perfect for home use and is giggable.  The AER amp three is simply astonishingly good - very loud with a fantastic low end.

A used AER amp three would be my choice.  (I've also owned an AER amp two and they are amazing, if a little heavy) On a budget it would be the Markbass.

Frank.

Edited by machinehead

5 hours ago, Merton said:

@tauzerohas one of the GR combos - forgive me I can’t remember which - but that was immediately my first thought reading your  first sentence Mark.

Id be very tempted by them or indeed the GK Fusion combo if I were looking at that sort of thing right now :)

I've got the AT Cube 800 - the 500 and 800 are pretty much the same but the 800 allows an extension cab to be added, so I got it just in case. 9.5kg, sounds good. The wooden Cube 800 is 15kg so not a lot more.

As above, AER produce some astounding combos - really amongst the best I’ve heard and used anywhere. I used an Amp One extensively and only moved it on as it wasn’t sufficiently loud for stage monitoring on loud rock/funk gigs - it was a loud stage. For moderate, smaller room gigs it was fine - quality, controlled tone is superb with a very stable and defined low end. Last rime I looked, Beedster was selling an AER Basic Performer combo at a bargain price on here - quite a step-up from the Amp One and superb for electric and upright. That would be my first choice - just found it, it’s here:

Edited by three

32 minutes ago, three said:

As above, AER produce some astounding combos - really amongst the best I’ve heard and used anywhere. I used an Amp One extensively and only moved it on as it wasn’t sufficiently loud for stage monitoring on loud rock/funk gigs - it was a loud stage. For moderate, smaller room gigs it was fine - quality, controlled tone is superb with a very stable and defined low end. Last rime I looked, Beedster was selling an AER Basic Performer combo at a bargain price on here - quite a step-up from the Amp One and superb for electric and upright. That would be my first choice - just found it, it’s here:

I like the look of this but I see it's described as an Acoustic guitar amp.  At 23kg, probably a bit heavier than I'd like as my current amp and single cab set is less than (although probably heavier when I add the second cab).  The informed choices seem to be:

1) AER Amp One or Three (second hand)

2) GR AT or Cube - one of the variants

3) GK Fusion 112 or 115

4) Markbass CP 121P

So, seems like I need to spend some time comparing the specs of each in a more considered way, and then think carefully how about how much gigging use I may get out of it.

Thanks for the replies so far.  Still happy to hear about any others that people have a fondness for.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bass Culture said:

I like the look of this but I see it's described as an Acoustic guitar amp.  At 23kg, probably a bit heavier than I'd like as my current amp and single cab set is less than (although probably heavier when I add the second cab).  The informed choices seem to be:

3) GK Fusion 112 or 115

4) Markbass CP 121P

So, seems like I need to spend some time comparing the specs of each in a more considered way, and then think carefully how about how much gigging use I may get out of it.

Thanks for the replies so far.  Still happy to hear about any others that people have a fondness for.

Yes, the AER Basic isn't very light, the Amp One is around 32lbs from memory, though given it's cube-like shape and positioning of the handle, it's not as portable as it might look at first glance.  The Amp Three is probably the more giggable AER if volume could be an issue (though the DI is excellent on the One and Three - I was using the One for on-stage monitoring).  The Basic Performer works beautifully with an electric bass, along with all manner of acoustic instruments.  They need to be heard/used to be believed really.  Unfortunately, I can't comment on any of the other contenders - I like the look of the GR range and many of the reviews are excellent.  However, I'd be going for wood rather than graphite despite the additional weight.  I'm sure that the build quality is excellent with GR carbon, but I'd need to have a carbon combo flight-cased to ensure on-road resilience. 

Edited by three
additional text
  • Thanks 1

On 07/04/2022 at 08:43, three said:

Thanks for the link there mate :) 

• Like 1

On 07/04/2022 at 09:24, Bass Culture said:

3) GK Fusion 112 or 115

4) Markbass CP 121P

Not really an acoustic guitar amp at all, just very good at that job alongside all the other things it does well, as is the case with most other AER units as well as, for example, PJB with whom I've found the same. IME the only brand on the list above I'd put in the 'higher end' category - certainly if you're talking tone and control over tone - is AER. Nothing wrong with the others, but I suspect that if you read some reviews of AER gear by people who have owned a lot of other brands it's easy to see why they have the reputation they do (loads of reviews on TalkBass). 

• Like 1