Why become a member? ×

G&L l2500 tribute - My Number 1

Delamitri79

Hey folks. 

I've a fantastic 2008 Ernie ball music man stingray 5 H. It's a pure tone monster and I love it but I've recently (2/3 months ago) picked up a G&L l2500 tribute and it's now my number 1 bass. The feel and sound I get from it just seems to beat all. My sound engineer loves it and we laugh that my "backup" bass is a stingray 5 😂

Just wondering have any of ye had a similar experience. 

I just can't get over how this €450 (2nd hand) bass has my amazing SR5 stuck in its case for months now. 

Cheers 🤘

• Like 1

Same experience as the OP. I used a 1994 SR5 as my main bass, then on a trip to the US in about 2006 I picked up an L2500 Tribute for less than £300. To my ears at least it blew the SR5 out of the water. Fantastic bass, especially for the price.

• Like 2

Yep, since buying a £350 G&L Tribute SB-2, my Fender American Standard Jaguar rarely gets taken out of it's case, I'm always reaching for the G&L first.

It's lighter, and I love the sound of the MFD P pickup. Apart from a tuner upgrade, there's nothing that could justify the cost of upgrading to a US version.

7 hours ago, Delamitri79 said:

Hey folks. 

I've a fantastic 2008 Ernie ball music man stingray 5 H. It's a pure tone monster and I love it but I've recently (2/3 months ago) picked up a G&L l2500 tribute and it's now my number 1 bass. The feel and sound I get from it just seems to beat all. My sound engineer loves it and we laugh that my "backup" bass is a stingray 5 😂

1 hour ago, RussFM said:

Yep, since buying a £350 G&L Tribute SB-2, my Fender American Standard Jaguar rarely gets taken out of it's case, I'm always reaching for the G&L first.

It's lighter, and I love the sound of the MFD P pickup. Apart from a tuner upgrade, there's nothing that could justify the cost of upgrading to a US version.

I have had the same experience. I bought a G&L L2500 for £350 from a member of Basschat, as I decided it would be useful for one of my bands to have a 5 string, and I was blown away at how versatile the bass is. I recorded with it too and you can get an amazingly fat yet defined sound from it. I try to justify a reason to bring my other more expensive basses to my gigs and rehearsals but I've run out of excuses. I could easily get rid of them all and just use the G&L for everything.

Edited by gjones

I played a pair of Tribute JB-2s with my last band over USA MusicMan,G&L and Fender basses which mostly sat in their cases. 

Same with an Overwater Tanglewood Aspiration Elite which was so good I didn’t play my Fender Dimension Deluxe 5 or G&L L-5500 (both USA) nearly as much as I should have.

I would think Sire basses are getting a lot of playtime over much more expensive basses within players’ collections too for much the same reason that a good bass is a good bass at any price. 

Keir

Got one of these (L2500 Tribute) on the hit list this weekend in my quest for a great sounding, lightweight 5er. I know the likelihood of it being sub 9lbs is minimal to nil, Got to be worth a try at least, though.

Looking around YouTube at videos, I happened upon a Rush Tribute band (that were amazing) in which the Bass Player was using a L2000. I couldn't believe how close to Geddy's Wal tone this thing got in his hands. They're remarkably flexible animals, tone wise. Colour me impressed!

Edited by 40hz
  • Like 1

I've got so used to the big full clear sound of the l2500 that I hadn't played the sr5 for a while so i brought it to a rehearsal on Sunday and it didn't fill out the sound in the band mix near as much as the g&l. it actually sounded thin and weak compared to it. I don't know why. I've had the sr5 fully setup and checked and tried a few different batteries and no difference . I'm thinking it could be the fact that the strings are brand new and might just need settle in a bit . what does everyone think about brand new strings. do they tend to feel too bright and thin until they settle in?

36 minutes ago, Delamitri79 said:

I've got so used to the big full clear sound of the l2500 that I hadn't played the sr5 for a while so i brought it to a rehearsal on Sunday and it didn't fill out the sound in the band mix near as much as the g&l. it actually sounded thin and weak compared to it. I don't know why. I've had the sr5 fully setup and checked and tried a few different batteries and no difference . I'm thinking it could be the fact that the strings are brand new and might just need settle in a bit . what does everyone think about brand new strings. do they tend to feel too bright and thin until they settle in?

I was sold the L2500 with a set of old Fender strings on it and I liked the sound. I've just recently changed them to Ernie Balls and the sound has changed but has only got clearer. I've got a rehearsal on Thursday so I'll test it out then. I can always put the old strings back on if I prefer them.

My wife recently surprised me with a G&L LB100 Tribute for my birthday. It plays and sounds to me, as good as the U.S. one that I had a couple of years back. Probably let down very slightly with a cheap nut, which I'll replace, if it bothers me enough.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I bought a Trib L2500 when they first were released , they were originally made in Korea.

I’m really a four string short scale guy , but I was impressed with the versatility of the L2500.

Still have it , and years later it’s almost unplayed. No dings , scratches or real signs of use.