Why become a member? ×

Glockenklang anyone?

carlsim

Anyone used them? I posted previously that I want to change my Sire V7 Jazz electronics into a much simpler 4 pot system... volume, blend, bass and treble with a passive tone...

Glockenklang have a pre-wired system: https://www.thomann.de/gb/glockenklang_2band_electronic.htm

Is seems to have everything - volume, blend, treble and bass with the treble acting as a tone control in passive mode...

Anyone tried one or is familiar with their systems? I was heading for a sadowsky drop in but they don't seem to be available for the foreseeable, so I am looking for something cost effective. I would need to get knobs and a new plate, but that shouldn't be too expensive... 

I am pretty sure that Glockenklang pre-amps come as standard on Sandbergs and some of the latter period Vigiers (I might be wrong on that), though in both cases they are preamps made specifically for those brands (definitely for the Vigiers). 

That system however looks very similar to the Sandberg circuit. My nephew went from an entry level Sire M5 to a Sandberg. The pre-amp on the Sandberg is a marked improvement. 

In terms of a comparison with a Sadowsky, I have two Sadowskys and when comparing them to my nephews Sandberg I do think that the Sandberg circuit is a little more transparent as the Sadowsky circuit is pretty coloured. I still prefer to the Sadowsky circuit, mainly because I think that the treble on the Sandberg circuit is a bit glassy on higher settings. 

Hello,

Ihad the Glock pre installed in a Roscoe LG3005 and into a Capelli (french luthier).

I realy love this pre very pillowy low end and cristall clear high ends. On the highest settings, the trebbles control almost acts like a "string renewer" in adding the zing and piano like tone that has gone with time. Never hear anything like that in any preamp I meet.

I think that Glock also build Sandberg preamp. The general philosophy is the same but choosen frequencies are not totaly identical.

The passive tone fonction is not as wide as a "traditional" tone knob but it adds some tone possibilities.

Overall great preamp, simple and efficient.

;)

I've 3 bases with them in. Love them. No colouring of sound and when set flat there is no difference between active/passive at all.

You can add a passive tone control to any pre-amp and it's pretty simple. I'm sure I have a diagram somewhere.

It's the way John East adds passive to his pre's.

Pretty sure the passive tone only works on the 3 band, 5 pot option.

I've 2 of the ones you've highlighted and don't think there is a passive option.

I'll check tomorrow but as I mentioned, you can easily add a passive control to any pre-amp.

18 minutes ago, BassBunny said:

Pretty sure the passive tone only works on the 3 band, 5 pot option.

I've 2 of the ones you've highlighted and don't think there is a passive option.

I'll check tomorrow but as I mentioned, you can easily add a passive control to any pre-amp.

It states on their website that the stacked treble and bass doesn’t have a passive tone, but the one with the separate bass and treble pots, the treble acts as a passive HF roll off which I suppose is a tone control. 

am I wrong in that one then? Would rather confirm before buying as a passive tone would be desirable…

23 minutes ago, carlsim said:

am I wrong in that one then? Would rather confirm before buying as a passive tone would be desirable…

No , you're not wrong.

My Peavey Sarzo left home this morning for a new life in the Isle of Man.  Preamp died years back so the 3 band 5 knob Glock was fitted, that's the one with push/pull vol for passive tone 👍

39 minutes ago, carlsim said:

It states on their website that the stacked treble and bass doesn’t have a passive tone, but the one with the separate bass and treble pots, the treble acts as a passive HF roll off which I suppose is a tone control. 

I'll check tomorrow. I think you are right but I've never tried it.

20 hours ago, carlsim said:

You're right. Only the stacked bass/treb version doesn't have the passive tone controle.

All other version have it, two or three bands.

I replaced a Bartolini system in my Bacchus 24 with a 5-pot, 3-band EQ Glockenklang setup. It's a very well made and very transparent setup - it does not colour the sound as much as other pre-amps I've tried. You really need to like the raw sound of the bass you're putting it in.

• Like 1

On 04/04/2022 at 13:16, carlsim said:

I've played around with the dual purpose treble/tone pot thing a bit. I think it's a great idea, especially for preamps like the Glocks where the active treble tuning is pretty high in frequency compared to many others.

On 06/04/2022 at 16:31, Passinwind said:

I've played around with the dual purpose treble/tone pot thing a bit. I think it's a great idea, especially for preamps like the Glocks where the active treble tuning is pretty high in frequency compared to many others.

Hello,

Just be aware that the passive tone knob only work in passive mode.

The same pot, trebble knob, is used for acive treb control and passive tone.

You can't have passive tone and active treb at the same time like on the Sadowsky preamp for instance.

;)

1 hour ago, Shiveringbass said:

Yo can't have passive tone and active treb at the same time like on the Sadowsky preamp for instance.

;)

But you can add a passive tone control as an additional pot. This will work in active or passive mode.

In fact you can do it with any pre-amp.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Shiveringbass said:

Hello,

Just be aware that the passive tone knob only work in passive mode.

The same pot, trebble knob, is used for active treb control and passive tone.

You can't have passive tone and active treb at the same time like on the Sadowsky preamp for instance.

;)

That's a function of the Glock bypass design IIRC, the pot itself as Noll sell it is perfecty happy to be configured as in-circuit in both modes. You get a "double dip" in cut mode, but I consider that to be quite useful.  Separate pots have a different tradeoff set, but can work really well too IME. Nice to be able to boost the active side and cut the passive at the same times to move the treble peak around in frequency, for example. But it's alos one more thing to keep track of! 😉

Edited by Passinwind
added clarification