Why become a member? ×

NBD: Fender Roadworn Mike Dirnt Precision Bass

theyellowcar

I distinctly remember the moment I played one of these in Wunjo in about 2014. I was amp shopping that day, and was extremely sceptical when Laurence handed me the Mike Dirnt Precision - “any amp is going to sound good with something that nice plugged in” I thought. I left with a new Rumble 40, and a nagging sensation that I would never play a neck quite like it again. 

I actually thought that these were “out of print” but it popped up as available to buy on the Fender website - I had a 10% discount to use as a Fender Play member, and so a browser tab lingered for a few weeks on end.

I run a one in one out system, so in anticipation of pulling the trigger I put a bass up for sale (still available I might add!) But this doesn’t end how you think…

A cursory search on eBay on Friday morning and I found this bass, for an agreeable price with a seller just a short hop on the train. Result! 

I picked it up this morning and have only had a couple minutes of unplugged play in between usual weekend stuff, but it is super resonant, and feels like a quality bass. Can’t wait to get it plugged in and hear it roar!

3E3BEB11-85A5-448F-8905-7D1397DACA57.thumb.jpeg.9e67621b1fe5d29b03cbe9e33e3315b4.jpeg

AEDCF8E6-72D4-4F81-88A6-BAF056BA92D5.thumb.jpeg.b047efb92ebea828d707065c50ce5d93.jpeg

Edited by theyellowcar
  • Like 9

3 minutes ago, jezzaboy said:

Cracking bass you have there. Does it weigh the same as some of the Mexican versions - the weight of a small semi detached? :D

It may be fancy, but it’s still from Mexico! And yes, it’s pretty heavy. I haven’t weighed it, but  I had to swap arms halfway through the walk back from the station.

1 minute ago, theyellowcar said:

It may be fancy, but it’s still from Mexico! And yes, it’s pretty heavy. I haven’t weighed it, but  I had to swap arms halfway through the walk back from the station.

I should have guessed that it was Mexican from the Roadworn moniker. The black one I was a cracker, bought and sold again on here but weighed too much for me. The Custom shop 59 pickup was exc.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, jezzaboy said:

I should have guessed that it was Mexican from the Roadworn moniker. The black one I was a cracker, bought and sold again on here but weighed too much for me. The Custom shop 59 pickup was exc.

I had the pickup from someone on here and put it in a regular MIM P-bass a long time ago - I remember it being excellent. Given how good this sounds unplugged I don’t expect anything less this time around! 

• Like 1

One of my fave Fender models but the weight of some of the original ones was hefty! The necks were ‘big’ but perfectly manageable if I recall. And of course that pick up is top class!

I did read the newer road worn models are generally lighter though. 

Edited by krispn
  • Like 1