Why become a member? ×

Luminlay not shipping to UK

hankhill

Apologies if this is in the wrong group.  I decided to buy Luminlay luminous fret markers, the one that comes as a stick that you cut and glue into carefully drilled holes. I tried to order from the Japanese manufacturer (https://luminlay.com/) and they tell me they can’t/won’t ship to the EU at this time (Covid…). They also confirmed by direct email that they don’t have an agent over here.  Does anyone have any, or know someone that might?

I recently bought a set of pre-cut markers via their eBay shop, but just checked the listing and as you say; they’re no longer shipping to UK.   I don’t suppose you’ve a relative or friend in another country that you could order through?   

2 hours ago, jd56hawk said:

I prefer Glowtech.

Screenshot_20220403-225923_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20220403-230314_Samsung Internet.jpg

I'd not heard of these before but they look like a great, reversible lower cost option.

Having had a rummage around on their website, for UK buyers it's £9.99 for the sheet of low profile (0.02 mm) stickers as pictured in the above post. You need to add VAT at 20% plus postage from £4.99, so £17.98 all in. 

Further product details here

Glowtec also sell a couple of different UV torches to charge the dots up. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sibob said:

@Andyjr1515had some I think?! For @Happy Jack’s recent neck build.

Si

Down to my last stick...just enough for @fleabag's neck.  Same problem.

I've been in contact with the owner of Luminlay and the problem is that the direct flights,that cross Russia or Ukraine from Japan, have stopped. Makes you wonder what else from Japan will hit problems...

Hopefully, they will find a way of shipping but, without a distributor network, it may well take the product from expensive to unaffordable.

Hosco do glow dots but they don't have the black surrounds and currently are out of stock in many sources (possibly linked).

Not great news, I'm afraid.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, BlueMoon said:

Public Peace seem still to sell the Luminlay knobs. 

https://www.public-peace.de/meisterworks-luminlay-knob-0-to-10-volume-tone.html

I don't see the fingerboard side markers listed, but they may have more info. Worth an e-mail maybe?

The knobs on the front sheet on the site say 'in stock' but when you click each of the product, they are shown as 'Unavailable' :(

57 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

I've been in contact with the owner of Luminlay and the problem is that the direct flights,that cross Russia or Ukraine from Japan, have stopped. Makes you wonder what else from Japan will hit problems...

Hopefully, they will find a way of shipping but, without a distributor network, it may well take the product from expensive to unaffordable.

Hosco do glow dots but they don't have the black surrounds and currently are out of stock in many sources (possibly linked).

Russia have occupied some islands they are in dispute with Japan over.

1 hour ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Tried the Hosco ones and they are nowhere near as good as Luminlay.

Thanks for all the answers.  I’m not convinced that surface stickers will stand up to 3 hour pub rock gigs with sweaty hands.

I tried these - https://classical-guitars.plus/product/rosette-premium-fret-dot-markers/ They’re more like slide on transfers, they worked very well but only lasted for a few weeks before rubbing off; they’re designed for classical guitars after all.

It sounds like I’ll just have to wait for Japan to revise its shipping routes.  Frankly I think that Luminlay could try a bit harder – Japan Post says some letter-post items are accepted for air, and surface mail is less affected.  They state generally that “there may be delays in the delivery of posted international mail “. https://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/information/overview_en.html  That website also says "We will resume service for some kinds of airmail letter-post items to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Germany, France and Belgium effective March 18, 2022. "

It’s a tiny 3 inch stick of plastic that would go in a letter envelope, its not like we’re trying to ship a whole guitar.  Oh well, I guess I'll just have to wait.

Edited by hankhill
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Velarian said:

Not flying over Russia seems like a lame excuse not ship to me. There must be plenty of other air cargo routes operating e.g. via Singapore, Bangkok, Dubai etc. 🤷‍♂️

Why air freight them at all? Stick them (!) In a container and pop it on a cargo vessel. 

16 hours ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Why air freight them at all? Stick them (!) In a container and pop it on a cargo vessel. 

I have to say I'm surprised that the need is so urgent that that they feel they have to air-freight it.

They ship by normal airpost which flys, well packaged between sheets of cardboard in a quality strong envelope, takes about a week to arrive

I was lucky enough to get a stick about 6 weeks ago, though their stock range is also limited in size and colour options at present

If anyone is desperate (i.e. in build) for 2.5mm green with 1mm black border hit me up 

• Like 1

I came across some luminous powder a while back, but I can't find it at all now.  I seem to recall it was used to fill outline shapes, then epoxied over (something like that anyway)
I googled "Luminous powder" but all I got was some sort of make-up! 
 https://www.lookfantastic.com/l-oreal-paris-true-match-powder-glow-illuminating-highlighter-golden-glow-9g/11708609.html 

10 hours ago, Richard R said:

I came across some luminous powder a while back, but I can't find it at all now.  I seem to recall it was used to fill outline shapes, then epoxied over (something like that anyway)
I googled "Luminous powder" but all I got was some sort of make-up! 
 https://www.lookfantastic.com/l-oreal-paris-true-match-powder-glow-illuminating-highlighter-golden-glow-9g/11708609.html 

You can get that stuff all over eBay if you search for "glow in the dark powder". 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOP-QUALITY-GLOW-IN-THE-DARK-POWDER-PIGMENT-IN-VARIOUS-COLOURS-PAINT-NAIL-ART-UK-/154528549247

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...