Why become a member? ×

Double bass stands

grelum

I have been using a double bass stand with the Hounds of Love band I play with (a 12 piece playing Kate Bush songs). It's essential due to the constant changing between fretted and fretless bass guitars and double bass.

My question is, if I were to play with an amateur classical orchestra, would it be acceptable to use the stand (a Hercules model)?

I played in my college (RSAMD) orchestra back in the 70s and used to perch on a stool to play but I have got so used to the stand now that my playing suffers when I try any other method.

Answers on a postcard please.

IMG-20210310-WA0004-01.jpeg

You would be considered eccentric and a bit odd. 

But if you play all the right notes in all the right places, no-one will give a stinky poo!

Anyway almost all of us in amateur orchestras are a bit eccentric and/or odd.

... probs worth learning to play without the stand, gets you wrapped around the bass in a way that promotes a closer partnership between player and instrument.

( See, told you I was a bit odd 🙂 )

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Drax said:

Slight aside - noticed you've got 2 x GWB35..great bass, had one for a while. Have you had one fretted ?!   

No I managed to source a fretted version in Germany around 5 years ago. I love them

17 hours ago, NickA said:

You would be considered eccentric and a bit odd. 

But if you play all the right notes in all the right places, no-one will give a stinky poo!

Anyway almost all of us in amateur orchestras are a bit eccentric and/or odd.

... probs worth learning to play without the stand, gets you wrapped around the bass in a way that promotes a closer partnership between player and instrument.

( See, told you I was a bit odd 🙂 )

Odd is good 😁thanks for the reply. I have started to practise without the stand and will probably master it in due course but yes I thought I would be considered at the very least eccentric and at the worst just plain unacceptable. However, before I go anywhere near an orchestra I have about 2 years practicing to get under my belt 🤨

17 hours ago, Owen said:

That picture is giving me anxiety. Gravity never takes a rest. 

19 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

Not sure I've understood this fully ... do you mean that the bass remains on the stand while you play it?

Yes. It's so that, especially when there's limited space on stage, I can swop between the 3 instruments more quickly

35 minutes ago, grelum said:

However, before I go anywhere near an orchestra I have about 2 years practicing to get under my belt 🤨

Pfft, I just dived straight in, no experience at all. My view is the only way I'll learn is by doing. Get stuck in! What's the worst that could happen? So you play a few bum notes?

I did my first DB gig the weekend before last; a mix of popular tunes in which I stood and was amplified, and orchestral stuff in which I sat with another DB player. It's fair to say the latter showed I have a lot to work on - I reckon I probably got 1 of every 3 notes right (😉, at one point the endpin started slipping on the floor so I was chasing the bass, and I'm pretty sure I played one piece with all F naturals instead of Fsharp, but you know what? Everyone (even the other DB player) complimented me on my playing. 

To quote a well-known cobbler, 'just do it!"

I played several gigs with my acoustic upright on a stand - so I could quickly switch to bass guitar.
Even though I often play EUB (which of course is permanently on a stand) it felt very different. Playing an acoustic upright on a stand was much more "awkward feeling" and I couldn't get myself in a comfortable position. @NickA's point about "wrapping yourself around the bass" is quite right, IMHO. Somehow I felt less "connected" with the bass when I played it on a stand. Someone once said to me, that you need to almost dance with your bass :) 

Of course, if needs be - then you just have to learn to get on with it. I know at the handful of gigs I did this, I would have struggled for space and avoiding accidents, if I'd not kept the bass on a stand. Nowadays, I just play my EUB on such gigs. I would say though, that you should also practice with your bass off the stand, as well as on it. I'd also be careful about your posture - you may be causing issues for yourself in future.

It would be interesting to hear what other Upright players think on these issues...