Why become a member? ×

ON HOLD....Squier Classic Vibe 2008/9 (earlier model) Precision bass. - *SOLD*
£430
Cardiff

Marc S

Price drop to £410 if bought with brand new roundwounds (i can use the TI Flats elsewhere).

Not sure how I feel about selling this one. I have absolutely loved playing this bass - it has probably been my favourite P bass ever. But I've just bought another P, in my favourite fiesta red colour, and it's also a killer bass.

This is one of the first run of Chinese-made Classic Vibe basses (2008 or 2009, I think). It is astounding build quality, very comfortable to play, and sounds lovely. There are YouTube videos out there, where they are compared in blindfold tests, to US custom shop models, and the players can't tell which is which.

This one is in great condition with one small dent in the paintwork, on the upper edge of the body, a few small swirls here & there, plus a slight witness-mark where the ashtray cover sits (I'll photograph that later, if anyone needs a pic).

Collection from Cardiff, and price is firm - I need to recoup some cash, and I'm only selling very reluctantly. I may well withdraw if my Yamaha BX-1 sells, or decide to keep it at a band-mates studio.... if I ask him very very nicely.

The neck is typical P bass (it's 42mm at the nut), but it's quite shallow front-to-back - I'm pretty sure it is C-shape / profile. The neck feels incredible- comfortable to play, and the fretboard is a lovely rich, dark rosewood.

Weight is 4kg. I can let you take it away in an old, tatty-ish gigbag for protection. Currently Fitted with TI Flats - I may swap these onto another bass. EDIT: I'm happy to put rounds on it if the buyer prefers

No trades - I have too much "stuff" and need to clear some space.

EDIT: forgot to mention, I have the original white pickguard for this bass, which I will include.

20220403_114223~2.jpg

20220403_114307~2.jpg

20220403_114317~2.jpg

Edited by Marc S
  • Like 10

It is indeed your old bass @woolf

I swore I'd keep it forever. I unexpectedly liked the colour even more than I thought I would - its even nicer in the flesh, and I think better with the tort guard I put on it....

I may well withdraw it yet - as I'll be torn if it sells. I bought another P bass today, which is also a killer bass. In honesty I shouldn't keep both, especially as my main gigging BG is yet another Precision (well a PJ Fender Lyte) but you know how it is.....

If I bought back all the basses I regretted selling, I'd be divorced by now lol

Edited by Marc S
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Can't believe this is still here. I also can't believe I'm selling it, as it's just so nice.
However, as I've said - I already have too many basses, and too many of them are P basses or P/J's

I would put it on long-term-loan to my son, but he's also got too many, and he prefers black, pointy-shaped basses (preferably adorned with skull decals / stickers lol)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Kev said:

How do these differ from the current models, quality wise?

They are another notch up again. I realise the current models are pretty good... I have played a few of the newer ones.
As I've mentioned, I once owned a very nice US P bass, and a Squier JV, and there wasn't an awful lot in it either way
In fact, this CV is the one I kept longest.

I took this bass in trade, expecting to gig it for a while, leave it at a rehearsal studio for convenience etc
And it's the one I've kept longest, and the one I gigged most... until I got my MIJ P Lyte (for longer sessions) and my most recent P bass, which I also really like.
As I've also said, if it weren't for that NBD a few weeks back - I'd be keeping this.

EDIT: @Kevjust thought I'd add a few comments, as I recently played one of the newer CV's in PMT Cardiff.

The necks on these older China made CV's are absolutely sublime - the edges of the fretboard are beautifully finished and rolled. It definitely feels in keeping with a higher end instrument. The sound from the pickup is also superb. My old JV just had the edge, slightly on it... but not that much in all honesty. I had thought about "improving" the pickup, with a Fender '62 pup I've had for ages - but as other owners of these beautiful basses have said.... the pickups in these are superb anyway - it probably wouldn't add much, if anything - it sounds like a P bass should, and delivers as well as the 2000's US Precision I had at the same time.

It's great construction quality and feels really "solidly built" without being too heavy. It's near enough spot on 4kg. The newer CV I played felt maybe a tad lighter (I think the spec says they're just over 3.5kg)
Hope this helps. And I know everyone says it when selling a bass - but this is one I'm really really going to miss.

Also - the colour on this one is just gorgeous! of course

Edited by Marc S
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

This lovely bass is still here - haven't "bumped" the topic in a while.
Just to re-iterate - the original off-white pickguard will be supplied with the bass, if you want
And I've got some brand new round wound strings - so I can set it up with those if you'd prefer them to the TI's it's currently wearing.

Just wanted to add an option here.....
I'm off to Cambridge this weekend - if anyone near that area is interested in this bass, I can let you have it on Sunday.

Edited by Marc S

• Marc S changed the title to SOLD....Squier Classic Vibe 2008/9 (earlier model) Precision bass.