Why become a member? ×

Sale Pending. VERY RARE! 1980's Yamaha BX-1 headless bass - *SOLD*
£650
Cardiff

Marc S

For sale only (no trades)

I recently bought this rather nice, unusual and rare Japanese built Headless bass from @Burns-bass on this forum. 

I like it a lot, but I've just bought another bass, and I'm sticking to my "one in, one out" rule as I promised Mrs_S on pain of death that I would! Lol

It's superb quality as you'd expect from Japan in the 1980's (its 1986, I think?)

In great condition with one chip in the paint on the top back edge, about 3mm diameter.

Great "thump" sound, fitted with Fender flatwound strings. It came fitted with a set, but I fitted some brand new ones, and I've become a fan of these strings. Set up with a fairly low action. It plays nicely. It has a narrow and shallow neck which is very comfortable to play.

It's very light - a shade under 3.5kg if my memory serves me. Also comes with its own Yamaha Hard case made for this model. The case is also in great condition. 

Collection from Cardiff (or I may travel a bit). Would prefer not to post. Price is firm - this is what I paid for it.... plus you get the new strings.

These are pretty scarce in the UK - so grab it before my other stuff sells and I change my mind. 

20220403_114446~2.jpg

20220403_114457~2.jpg

Edited by Marc S
  • Like 12

Here's a bump for you.  Great basses.  Have an Ibanez Axstar, BX1, Kramer Duke and a Shuker headless so plenty to compare it with.  Holds it's own until the Shuker is needed but is a great '80s bass.  Rarely for sale in the UK, I sourced mine from the USA.   Great addition to any collection and a spot on price.   GLWTS

• Thanks 1

** EDIT: I forgot to add - this bass doesn't need Double-ball-end strings.
The nut comprises a clamp system, which means you can use any string type you want...
Apologies if that was already obvious - but I thought I'd better mention it

Edited by Marc S
  • Like 2

• Marc S changed the title to RARE. 1980's Yamaha BX-1 headless bass

Just a heads-up on this bass. A pal of mine owns a rare guitar shop in Cardiff, and he has told me he'd be happy to take this bass in - to sell, for commission (obviously, that's how he's in business)
Anyhow, I'm mentioning this here, as it will be more expensive in the shop. So grab it now.... or pay more

• Like 1

I had the 5 string version of this and it was the best headless bass I have owned by a country mile.  Loved the looks, loved the tone, loved the balance of it on the strap.  Fabulous thing, oozes quality and character.

And you won't find a nicer guy to deal with than Marc, either.

(was that OK?  I couldn't quite hear what you dictated over the phone) 

:D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Photo of the purpose made case, which as I mentioned is also in great condition for its' age. Just a few scratches here & there. Tolex is in great nick, as are the corners. Latches & handle are great too....

20220409_150553~2.jpg

• Like 1

This lovely, unusual and rare bass is off to Moto Music in Cardiff tomorrow. They're going to sell it for me, for commission. It will be harder for me to access this bass for anyone wanting to try it out (you can of course, pop into their shop to do this). So anyone seriously interested in buying - it may be best to PM me today or this evening, to arrange a viewing (as I said, I'm also willing to travel a few miles to meet in the usual motorway services / pub car park).

Edited by Marc S
  • Like 1

• Marc S changed the title to SOLD. Please Close. VERY RARE! 1980's Yamaha BX-1 headless bass