Why become a member? ×

What's your #1

Rayman

I love them all but my Spector NS-5CR is clearly my main player these days. I have barely put it down since last September.

28tFxs2.jpeg

If it's a fretless day my Pentabuzz gets the nod. I've just put new strings on it so it has been getting a lot of playtime this week. Both basses are all-maple construction, something I really like. Can you believe that I nearly sold the Pentabuzz once, what a total prat I am!

YLbGucP.jpeg

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Chris2112 said:

I love them all but my Spector NS-5CR is clearly my main player these days. I have barely put it down since last September.

28tFxs2.jpeg

If it's a fretless day my Pentabuzz gets the nod. I've just put new strings on it so it has been getting a lot of playtime this week. Both basses are all-maple construction, something I really like. Can you believe that I nearly sold the Pentabuzz once, what a total prat I am!

YLbGucP.jpeg

Let me know if you change your mind…

I usually have one bass that is used for everything. It needs to become an extension of my body, and totally reliable. That is this bass. I am still making the conversion to 5 strings, but it’s getting closer. BTW, I have replaced the knobs since this photo. Totally agree about the tone of maple basses.

image.thumb.jpeg.c88f833684853d4ed035953dc9269315.jpeg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, TrevorG said:

Got to ask. Did it come with that neck or did your assemble it yourself? Looks great!

I got it second hand, its a 2007 model. It came fretless entirely stock, i sold the neck last year and bought a roasted maple Fender aftermarket neck and hipshot ultralights. The bass is a lot lighter for it and sounds amazing. 

• Like 1

Well my Japanese Jazz, with a John East J-Retro is the perfect sounding and playing bass for me. It's also extremely versatile.

While my other basses have their attractions and none of them are duffers, my Jazz is the one that can do it all and gets a 10 out of 10.

Now if it was a 5 string, it would get an 11 out of 10.

Fender flea jazz roadworn.

The only bass that puts a smile on my face whatever rig I play it through.

Feels brilliant to wear, easy to play and looks great. Can be left anywhere without worry of getting a ding. 

The dual volume and tone controls per pickup are superb. So many options for sound.

• Like 1

So a while ago (edit: turns out it was almost six years ago!) I decided to sell my Stingray 5. It was a great instrument but 5 strings just wasn't for me and besides, I had two other Stingrays. After a while of nobody coming up with the money and rejecting a few trade offers, I somewhat reluctantly accepted a part exchange deal where I was to have most of the money and the rest was paid for in a beaten up mid-nineties Stingray that had been modified. Whatever, I can sell it later and I only 'paid' £400 for it.

Instant number 1 status.

I don't know whether this tree got some extra sunlight or some extra water or something. Maybe the robots that built it were having a really good day. This bass is just every cliche about 'feeling like home', 'old baseball glove', all that. What's really really telling is that, when other people play a bass of mine, they're always polite and pleasant about the other basses but they positively gush about the red stingray. Also, I apparently have never given it a glamour photoshoot...

IMG_20180504_170853.thumb.jpg.98f6fb8856cc8f428c348b0750dd8a79.jpgDSC07509.thumb.jpg.70af6863f53a0e78dc1ed0ef869adf7b.jpg

Edited by Jack
  • Like 11

Funny how one bass, for no tangeable reason, can do that.

I'm my case it cost me less than a hundred quid, it should be crap, but it's beautiful, resonant and comfortable. It makes me cringe about the tens of thousands of pounds I've spent previously. So crazy, and proof that you don't have to have deep pockets to find an absolute banger.

I just hope that the Starfire that's coming in is good enough to back it up.

Edited by Rayman
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Jack said:

That's pretty. Bitsa? Custom? Refin? More information if you can please. 😁

Fender Limited Edition Sandblasted Precision from 2014. I’m the original owner and also have a Jazz from the same series.  It is based on the American Special. Great stable neck. Light weight, swamp ash body. I added black HipShot HB7 tuners and Vintage bridge. Sounds like thunder. 

Ibanez 1005SMS - 5 string short scale, headless, fanned frets, light as a feather and so, so comfortable to play. 

All I've done is have the side position dots replaced with some pearl ones because the originals were impossible to see on the roasted maple neck, otherwise it's probably the most perfect bass I've ever played.

EHB1005SMS.png

• Like 3

8 hours ago, dclaassen said:

Maybe one day I will be gigging enough to justify buying a pentabuzz……

Just go for it, you only live once. 

I am in constant penance to my Pentabuzz after my foolhardy mission to sell it. All it took was a year in which I didn't play much fretless and I former some daft idea to sell it (for £1500, IIRC!). 

I'd gone as far as to box it up ready for shipping to a buyer but I had told him that I couldn't give an accurate weight as I didn't have a means of weighing it. Stating it's 'a bit heavy but not that heavy' was probably as accurate as I could manage. I polished it, recorded one last video to show it in working order and sealed the box up ready to get the shipping instructions. I went out to get dinner and whilst I was out I got a message from the buyer saying he was pulling out; he'd looked up some weights from other Pentabuzzes for sale and decided it would be too much for him. I was disappointed but decided I'd just relist the bass. 

As I sat waiting for my dinner to come I put my headphones on and listened to the demo video I had just recorded. As soon as I got home I felt like such an idiot (how close I had come to selling off something I'd dreamed of owning since I was a teenager). In an act of finality I ripped the box to bits and binned it and put the bass back in the place in my bedroom that it has always lived. I think I've enjoyed it all the more since then, it gets played every couple of days now. 

SqsqWxf.jpeg

FORgZWk.jpeg

• Like 9

7 hours ago, Chris2112 said:

Just go for it, you only live once. 

I am in constant penance to my Pentabuzz after my foolhardy mission to sell it. All it took was a year in which I didn't play much fretless and I former some daft idea to sell it (for £1500, IIRC!). 

I'd gone as far as to box it up ready for shipping to a buyer but I had told him that I couldn't give an accurate weight as I didn't have a means of weighing it. Stating it's 'a bit heavy but not that heavy' was probably as accurate as I could manage. I polished it, recorded one last video to show it in working order and sealed the box up ready to get the shipping instructions. I went out to get dinner and whilst I was out I got a message from the buyer saying he was pulling out; he'd looked up some weights from other Pentabuzzes for sale and decided it would be too much for him. I was disappointed but decided I'd just relist the bass. 

As I sat waiting for my dinner to come I put my headphones on and listened to the demo video I had just recorded. As soon as I got home I felt like such an idiot (how close I had come to selling off something I'd dreamed of owning since I was a teenager). In an act of finality I ripped the box to bits and binned it and put the bass back in the place in my bedroom that it has always lived. I think I've enjoyed it all the more since then, it gets played every couple of days now. 

SqsqWxf.jpeg

FORgZWk.jpeg

I have to agree with Chris here. If you can afford it, then go for it. So what if you aren't doing the gigs? It'll make the ones you do more enjoyable and aren't you worth it? 

• Like 2