Why become a member? ×

What's your #1

Rayman

9 hours ago, TrevorR said:

D3E90965-9584-4DE1-8157-1BD8161AE609.thumb.jpeg.fe7a374a1068ed1723bd704efc5190b5.jpeg

My number 1 ever since I bought it second hand in about 1991 or 1992! 1985 Mk 1 Custom Series Wal.

Wow, would love to try one of these. Saw someone selling a mk1 on FB, I'd have bought it if I had £9k burning a hole in my pocket 🤣

13 hours ago, MrDinsdale said:

Wow, would love to try one of these. Saw someone selling a mk1 on FB, I'd have bought it if I had £9k burning a hole in my pocket 🤣

Yes, I worked out the way to get a nice Wal at a reasonable price… buy second hand but do it 30 years ago when they were rather unfashionable and un-sought after. ;) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TrevorR said:

Yes, I worked out the way to get a nice Wal at a reasonable price… buy second hand but do it 30 years ago when they were rather unfashionable and un-sought after. ;) 

yes ..a wal mk2 is another one of my basses that i haven't seen in years ...locked up in a room in south east asia ... its probably now a race between me and the termites....can termites chew their way through a wal case??? i hope not.

• Like 2

On 02/04/2022 at 19:10, OliverBlackman said:

Number 1 for jazz/ fretless styles is an Overwater fretless

Number 1 for replicating a P bass with flats is my fender P bass with La Bella flats

Number 1 for replicating Jazz bass with steel sound is a Squier VMJ with MB steels

Covers most of my needs

I have exactly the same collection of basses (plus a Spector). Doubtless we’re both following some great, universal law. ;) 

• Haha 1

My number one might surprise a few people as it’s not my sonic blue jazz, or indeed my sumptuous SR1200. 

It’s a tatty, banged up old SR500 that looks like it had an accident with a wood chipper.
I bought it for £150 after the whole ‘nearly died of covid’ thing when I realised I needed a light bass. It has a dodgy 24th fret and a badly shimmed neck. And I love it. 
Its the bass I do most of my gigs with and even at home, I pick this one out the rack nine times out of ten. 

Go figure. 

275C16BF-82E8-46FB-91B1-8124377DBCA7.jpeg

7C1CF0D6-ABD9-4308-95B6-B8CE95BED700.jpeg

C17F826A-4CC7-4367-B1D3-937137241446.jpeg

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

And in just over two months, I've changed my mind completely!

My current obsession is this Warwick Thumb. It was a present from my wife for my 40th birthday, so it's already a very special instrument, but it's just so tactile and responsive to play.

A deeply rewarding instrument.

Thanks @vincbt!

20220312_165256.thumb.jpg.dd72b57f92c3f325fd2777f73e5a0593.jpg

Gorgeous. Just keep it string with fresh strings. Nothing sounds better with fresh strings and worse with dead strings than. Thumb. I've had a couple in the past and there is no doubt I'll have another. I wanted to go back to Spector first and then a Thumb, when the right one comes up. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Chris2112 said:

Gorgeous. Just keep it string with fresh strings. Nothing sounds better with fresh strings and worse with dead strings than. Thumb. I've had a couple in the past and there is no doubt I'll have another. I wanted to go back to Spector first and then a Thumb, when the right one comes up. 

It's wearing DR Hi Beams at the moment and they're just starting to go dull - 14 months later! 

Admittedly I haven't been gigging it or anything like that.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

And in just over two months, I've changed my mind completely!

My current obsession is this Warwick Thumb. It was a present from my wife for my 40th birthday, so it's already a very special instrument, but it's just so tactile and responsive to play.

A deeply rewarding instrument.

Thanks @vincbt!

20220312_165256.thumb.jpg.dd72b57f92c3f325fd2777f73e5a0593.jpg

I love a Thumb bass, only bass I regret selling

• Like 1

I'm a simple man! 

Fender Pro ii. 

I know they can get a bad rep when it comes to value for money, but it feels and sounds lovely to me. 

I just can't settle between rounds and flats... 

IMG-20220601-WA0004_edit_245823039238531.thumb.jpg.0dea2ff5c856cff53ac9b3ab91bf5f82.jpg

Edited by Jackopie1
Typo
  • Like 5

On 03/04/2022 at 08:38, Paul S said:

My #1 is a Squier JV Precision.  I kissed a lot of frogs before finding this prince which is just the best P bass I have laid my mitts on.  The neck is gorgeous.  The maple has a little 3D figuring in it and has aged to that wonderful warm caramel.  It weighs just 8lbs and the stock pickups have a woody tone that is just the rude side of vintage.  It now sports a Schaller 3D bridge which I prefer.  I bought it from the original owner who was a drummer and barely used it so really low mileage, too.

Tart that I am, I am regularly unfaithful as new and different basses catch my eye but this is the one I would grab if the house caught fire.

JV01.thumb.jpg.f4904bca9f854e4a62ed7237a9afb17b.jpg

That's a cracker. My JV Precision is my #1. My Bass VI is a lot of fun, and I have a MIJ PB70 that I haven't used much, but it's the JV that passes the house fire test.

20211015_152504.thumb.jpg.6fc36164b6c3a54e27d50286b22f71df.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jackopie1 said:

That is beatiful! Is that a G&L style j-pup? 

Think the Tony Franklin has a DiMarzio J pickup as this was his original preference?   I’ve got a reverse of this as my go-to fretless, a Tony Franklin neck on a 78 P body with EMG PJ set.   The neck is hands-down the best P neck I’ve played (think it’s B width or 40mm-ish at nut) and the ebony fingerboard with flats plays amazingly.

8819AB49-E52E-4CF8-B2D0-35B691663368.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MattM said:

Think the Tony Franklin has a DiMarzio J pickup as this was his original preference?   I’ve got a reverse of this as my go-to fretless, a Tony Franklin neck on a 78 P body with EMG PJ set.   The neck is hands-down the best P neck I’ve played (think it’s B width or 40mm-ish at nut) and the ebony fingerboard with flats plays amazingly.

8819AB49-E52E-4CF8-B2D0-35B691663368.jpeg

Ah Ok, thanks. 

That is also a beautiful bass. 

• Like 1

Well, after last night, the Epiphone Embassy has gone up a grade.

I put a reasonable bass boost and a slight lift on mid and treble on the TE Elf, that made all positions of the blend control usable. In neck position I could get a lovely powerful but rich tone, but also plenty of presence by moving my fingers towards the bridge. With the bridge pickup I could vary hand position to move between a serious cutting honk to a more mellow sound. It just seemed much more pronounced than the variations on my Jazz basses.

I was playing through the TE Elf (which gives a bit of built in compression) and the GR Bass AT212. Our guitaruists commented "That Trace sounded killer, very tight sound, no farting bass tones haha"

image.thumb.png.14124c13377606345a71870b84cc2500.png

An outstanding instrument for the price. I can't imagine anyone wanting to change the pickups.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Well, after last night, the Epiphone Embassy has gone up a grade.

I put a reasonable bass boost and a slight lift on mid and treble on the TE Elf, that made all positions of the blend control usable. In neck position I could get a lovely powerful but rich tone, but also plenty of presence by moving my fingers towards the bridge. With the bridge pickup I could vary hand position to move between a serious cutting honk to a more mellow sound. It just seemed much more pronounced than the variations on my Jazz basses.

I was playing through the TE Elf (which gives a bit of built in compression) and the GR Bass AT212. Our guitaruists commented "That Trace sounded killer, very tight sound, no farting bass tones haha"

image.thumb.png.14124c13377606345a71870b84cc2500.png

An outstanding instrument for the price. I can't imagine anyone wanting to change the pickups.

T'Bird in disguise.

• Like 2