Why become a member? ×

What's your #1

Rayman

On 02/04/2022 at 18:24, Lozz196 said:

My number one is my black/black/maple 2015 US Standard Precision. I’ve done a lot with that bass, bought it new, and it’s my all time fave. If/when the time comes that I’m down to one bass only it will be that one, unless things are seriously bad I’ll never sell it.

So an update to this, as my number 1 is a black/black/maple US Standard Precision from the 2013-16 Series it`s suddenly dawned on me that maybe having the same bass for gigging might be a wise move. So one has been purchased, just got to drive all the way to near Torquay to collect it. Dang, I suffer for my art!

I don’t really have a number 1 - it tends to be three or four basses on rotation - currently:- 

Stingray SR4HH or SR5HH specials (aqua sparkle and Cruz teal respectively)

Classic Sabre - Neptune Blue

Stingray Tim Commerford signature (passive electronics)

However other basses join the #1 rotation when the mood takes me - they are all Musicman, and are mostly Stingrays. 

These basses are versatile enough to play the rock/blues/soul/reggae/rock and roll/jazz/pop material which characterise the bands I play in. 

I also have my nearly new Bongo 5HH Crescendo (sparkly white) on hand at home for noodling and practicing - it has been used for two gigs but I’m petrified of chipping it (especially the pointy headstock - on low ceilings, not singers or drummers who get too close 😂🥴

My Stingray Classic is one of my favourites. 

44FE9AE0-5F39-45B9-9977-D21CED4F6400.thumb.jpeg.3ff3c5f1e06aa405191bfd23387fd59c.jpeg

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 1

1294833547_Zon2.thumb.jpg.4c69d4a1658eaa99a43c8c35e97eee09.jpg

My Korean Zon Sonus Standard is possibly the one bass I've had that will never be sold.... 

Gigged most weekends (at least until a few months back when I picked up my Cort A4) for the last 5 years, bought used but in mint condition. I've only ever seen one other in the UK at Bass Gear in Twyford many years ago which I played but didn't have the cash for at the time. I had never seen another one in the wild until I walked into my local shop years ago to buy a gig bag and this was hung on the wall. Karma! Pretty much irreplaceable for me. It has the sound in my head, a great neck and the build quality is brilliant (and the chances of finding another one are practically non existent)

Edited by Mudpup
  • Like 3

On 13/04/2022 at 14:02, Stub Mandrel said:

The Flea Jazz is the most frequent occupier of the stand by my desk

I can understand that, what a great bass for playing, noodling or just leaving lying about 😄

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/04/2022 at 12:50, Chris2112 said:

I love them all but my Spector NS-5CR is clearly my main player these days. I have barely put it down since last September.

28tFxs2.jpeg

If it's a fretless day my Pentabuzz gets the nod. I've just put new strings on it so it has been getting a lot of playtime this week. Both basses are all-maple construction, something I really like. Can you believe that I nearly sold the Pentabuzz once, what a total prat I am!

YLbGucP.jpeg

That's a pretty lush looking Spector. Is it a US build?

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, gyrus said:

This Pedulla MVP-5 has been my #1 since I received it in 2014. It just sits well on my hands. Excellent craftsmanship! 👍

B20974AD-ED7C-4602-86A7-6599E38BAF13.jpeg

Now this is something worthy of an OMG! If that was a Buzz, I'd have to change my undercrackers.

• Like 3

This is "Carrie" my 82 JV Squire Jazz in Olympic white. I've owned this bass for 29 years,and it literally been around the world with me.

When I was at Music college in Newcastle back in 1993 I used to pass a little second hand guitar shop in the West End. One day I was passing and looked in the window and saw this absolutely gorgeous bass, with its white/tortoise combo, and I had to try it. So I went in an plugged it in, and instantly fell in love. I bartered a deal to swap it for a Hohner fretless bass and an MIJ Fender Stratocaster, with £15 my way (the bass was £160 😂)

I went in the following day with my instruments and SHOCK HORROR!! The owner sold it to someone else for cash 😡🤬 so I had to carry two basses and a guitar with me all day. I was currently using an Ibanez Musician so not the end of the world.

Well about 4/5 months later, I'm walking past and that  Bass is in the window again, only this time it's been absolutely  butchered. The Tort scratchplate had been replaced with a cheap almost home made white one, and worse still the lovely original Squire logo had been sanded off, leaving a horrible piece of ruined finish where the owner tried to put a fender sticker🙄 but it was the same bass. I went in and did a deal (£120) and it was mine, I fell deeply in love with it. I had the Bass Doc in Newcastle source an old tortoise Pick Guard and he put a 60s fender logo on and refinished the headstock (couldn't get an original Squire logo).

I foolishly in my younger days,modded it,in my attempts to sound more like Marcus Miller 😂🤣 so had a badass bridge and EMGS in for a while,as well as a few different preamps. I foolishly traded the original bridge and pickups and tuners. I fairly recently restored this back to stock, with a CTS jazz loom/Gotoh reliced vintage bridge and Gotoh lollipops. I also had Nordstrand NP4's added years ago.

I try not to use it so much now, due to sentimental value, but this bass,is very much a big part of me and I'll never sell it, every scratch/ding was put on by me. I'm considering having it refinished for my 50th in a couple of years,with a matched headstock 😁

received_1960722444115406.jpeg

received_2370414713099405.jpeg

received_3169709633303604.jpeg

received_792452565072895.jpeg

received_681516556272036.jpeg

Edited by lee650
  • Like 11