Why become a member? ×

What's your #1

Rayman

Well i guess my #1 is that Squier CV Mustang with LaBella  MUS flats, but it hums quite a lot despite shielding the PG & cavities, so until i can re-open it & sort that out... i'll take the Bronco to rehearsals & gigs. 

GASsing really bad for a Sire U5, but can't afford it...20220207_140210.thumb.jpg.43fd3541e188d133e14bf519cb664c57.jpg

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, outtaseezun said:

Well i guess my #1 is that Squier CV Mustang with LaBella  MUS flats, but it hums quite a lot despite shielding the PG & cavities, so until i can re-open it & sort that out... i'll take the Bronco to rehearsals & gigs. 

GASsing really bad for a Sire U5, but can't afford it...20220207_140210.thumb.jpg.43fd3541e188d133e14bf519cb664c57.jpg

If that Mustang is still humming after shielding, check the continuity of the shielding. Does it go away when you touch the strings/bridge?  I shielded my JMJ but still had some hum, I found I wasn’t getting continuity from the pickup rout to the control rout. Ran an extra piece of copper tape from the pickup rout over the top of the body so it made contact with the control plate - all peachy. 

I like those pickguards.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ezbass said:

If that Mustang is still humming after shielding, check the continuity of the shielding. Does it go away when you touch the strings/bridge?  I shielded my JMJ but still had some hum, I found I wasn’t getting continuity from the pickup rout to the control rout. Ran an extra piece of copper tape from the pickup rout over the top of the body so it made contact with the control plate - all peachy. 

I like those pickguards.

Hey there ! 

Thanks for the info! There is continuity between the bridge & cavity & from component to component. Someone on Fb told me to check if that whole shielding i did was connected to ground on the output jack, and in order to check that i would need to open it up again & get the soldering iron etc... which i have been putting off til tomorrow for a month or so loooool...

The pickguards are the original ones, with a marble vinyl sticker on top. Quite a PITA to get it right, & they will try to unstick every chance they get, but it looks cool indeed,  Thanks for noticing!

• Like 1

23 years and counting with this bass, which was about 20 years old when I got it. I have other basses but this one is still the reference point. 

Lacquer on the neck has really started to peel off in the last 5-6 years (and is worse now than in the pic which is now 2-3 years old). I'm in two minds to get it re-lacquered or just let a tech give it a satin finish. Either way, it isn't going anywhere even though I don't really gig it much anymore. 

7427C686-B0CB-4EF0-A32D-FC0968418C77.thumb.jpeg.fa5372b0d30757d5194c27859167f337.jpeg

Edited by thodrik
  • Like 6

Easy. My £60 CSL Jazz, picked up from a pawn shop in 2004-ish with the intention of running it under the tap & flipping it for a quick profit. Nicest bass I've ever played, simple as that.

CSLresize1.thumb.jpg.ca6d09d79befd551aa91504c9c4669e7.jpg

It's had a few shiny bits stuck on it, but even when I gave it a quick go in the shop, with strings from 4 different sets & one pickup not working, I knew it was something special.

1068178843_CSLoriginalupscale.thumb.jpg.e57f68a443c5eaf9566d21010144d68d.jpg

• Like 10

44 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

Easy. My £60 CSL Jazz, picked up from a pawn shop in 2004-ish with the intention of running it under the tap & flipping it for a quick profit. Nicest bass I've ever played, simple as that.

CSLresize1.thumb.jpg.ca6d09d79befd551aa91504c9c4669e7.jpg

It's had a few shiny bits stuck on it, but even when I gave it a quick go in the shop, with strings from 4 different sets & one pickup not working, I knew it was something special.

1068178843_CSLoriginalupscale.thumb.jpg.e57f68a443c5eaf9566d21010144d68d.jpg

I remember CSL from my youth. Always a good step up from the other, non major brand names that were around at the time. Some very nice upgrades you've put on that beast too.

• Like 2

For the past four years my number one has been my Squier Vintage Modified Jazz. The sound and feel of a jazz bass seems just right to me.

154961289_SquierVMJazz.thumb.jpg.af164da1e406bbe479dc435d42a2d95b.jpg

However, in an effort to wean myself from it I have now moved it to my girlfriend's place so I am forced to use something else at mine. That something else is now an EB MusicMan HH. The photo really doesn't do the blue justice. The string spacing and tone are wildly different from the jazz but I'm beginning to get used to it and like getting my full Tim Commerford on.

2026620172_MusicManHH.thumb.jpg.43f0b86557519602743bcc8b12217f07.jpg

• Like 3

For me it’s this old girl from 1970. Bought it 28 years ago when I was a young whippersnapper at university (sold my pointy Charvel bass to get it dammit!).

Been thru a lot together in that time.

I don’t have lots of basses, just a few that work nicely for me. When i plug this in it reminds me why I have it. 

2346171A-2C9F-4BDE-AF85-301315571861.jpeg

• Like 12

On 04/04/2022 at 11:02, thodrik said:

23 years and counting with this bass, which was about 20 years old when I got it. I have other basses but this one is still the reference point. 

Lacquer on the neck has really started to peel off in the last 5-6 years (and is worse now than in the pic which is now 2-3 years old). I'm in two minds to get it re-lacquered or just let a tech give it a satin finish. Either way, it isn't going anywhere even though I don't really gig it much anymore. 

7427C686-B0CB-4EF0-A32D-FC0968418C77.thumb.jpeg.fa5372b0d30757d5194c27859167f337.jpeg

I don't think I've ever seen a P-Bass with the pickguard divided like that before. That's such a good idea.

Did you do that, or were they made like that for a while or something?

3 hours ago, Vin Venal said:

I don't think I've ever seen a P-Bass with the pickguard divided like that before. That's such a good idea.

Did you do that, or were they made like that for a while or something?

Done by a previous owner. Apparently because the jack socket wiring was terrible and constantly needed to be fixed and only having to remove half the pickguard saved time. My then 15 year old brother resoldered in 1999 soon after I got it and it has been problem free ever since! 

I thought it was weird at the time but I love it now!

• Like 2

On 03/04/2022 at 21:19, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Thanks to @Paul S, this joyous old thing - weighs hardly anything and it's just lightning fast to play.

It's my favourite to play unplugged but amplified it's a Rickenbacker/Precision hybrid - aggressive clank with a warm and full midrange.

20210920_104322.jpg

Lovely old bass. 

Troy, who does some play along vids on YouTube uses a Guild from time to time. Every time he does it sounds fantastic. 

• Like 1

My number one bass is definitely my white US Fender Precision standard, acquired from a fellow bass chatter in 2013 when we met at a motorway services to swap my Jazz bass for it. Stuck the Precision in the back of the car, drove home, collected my amp & cab and went straight to a gig. I think I probably took my other Jazz bass just in case, but it wasn't needed that night. The white Precision is currently strung with flats (don't like the feel, but the sound is sublime). Absolutely my number one bass.

Then again, I have had my Classic 60s Jazz bass a few months longer than the white Precision, and certainly won't be parting with it while I'm still able to play - maybe they are joint number one basses.

Edited by FinnDave

I don't necessarily play it any more than my others, but I do have one that fulfils the brief - my 2018 Ibanez SR655-NTF. I always liked the look of the natural 605 but never ended up buying one because I wasn't crazy about the Bartolini pickups, so when the 655 came out with CNDs instead I decided it was time. My local shop had just received two, still in boxes, so I headed over and they got them both out for me to choose between. One was alright... but the other was just instantly 'my bass' and there was no way I was going to leave the shop without it.

I actually gave it a clean, fret polish and restring just yesterday, and swapped the tuners over to GB707s  while I was at it. Here it is with distinctly less pick dust in hard-to-reach places than usual. You'll have to imagine the smell of Silvo and fretboard conditioner yourself! 🙂 

SR655_bdy_68.thumb.jpg.71a07b78feaf7a52595f4ea3b05bdc6e.jpg

• Like 5

My 2014 Am.Std Precision is the one that gets played the most, even unplugged it's the one that gets picked up to play on. Considering I bought it new in Jan 2015 unseen & untried I ended up with an amazing bass. The overall feel of the neck is so smooth and those CS pickups & the fact that it, weighs 8lb 4.2 oz. defiantly makes it a keeper & it's strung with Dunlop 45-105 flatwounds.

IMG_20150114_124646_edit.jpg

IMG_20150321_122347.jpg

• Like 7

I would say that operationally I don't have a #1 - I give all my basses a fair rotation, what's the point in having them if they don't get played?

Over all time since I started playing though, evidence points towards my #1 being the Epiphone Jack Casady Sig.  The evidence?  I'm on my third one, and I regret selling the first two.  I had your typical gold top first - sold it because I was fickle.  Then I had a super sparkly Blue Royale one - sold it because of financial pressure.  The happy end to this saga is that I now have a 20th Anniversary model.  The red one with the flamed maple top.  I think I may have snagged one of the last ones available from new in the UK because I had to go a bit off the beaten track to a smaller vendor to get it.  If I won the lottery, I'd collect this bass in every finish it has ever been available in, just because I can.

So yeah, I guess I'm a JC Sig fanboi then :D

image.thumb.png.10340f56414769ac95fd1bfdda142ac4.pngimage.thumb.png.3f219d43620870684104e4c6985e5d0f.pngimage.png.dc2b142ba896cc185ff9510fa3e92f4e.png

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 7