Why become a member? ×

What's your #1

Rayman

You know, the one you reach for most of the time, it might not be expensive, it might be expensive, but it's the one, out of all of them, that just feels like home. You might have a bunch of choices, but there's always your mate, that just feels right and makes you smile......

Me, still the Sunn, it shouldn't be that good, but it just IS. 

What's yours?

IMG_20220219_123134_944.jpg

IMG_20220219_122619_137.jpg

• Like 8

My number one is my black/black/maple 2015 US Standard Precision. I’ve done a lot with that bass, bought it new, and it’s my all time fave. If/when the time comes that I’m down to one bass only it will be that one, unless things are seriously bad I’ll never sell it.

Number 1 for jazz/ fretless styles is an Overwater fretless

Number 1 for replicating a P bass with flats is my fender P bass with La Bella flats

Number 1 for replicating Jazz bass with steel sound is a Squier VMJ with MB steels

Covers most of my needs

• Like 1

Fender flea jazz heavy relic for me, it’s a bass I’m comfortable to leave lying around, with flats it sounds great and is easy to play. it’s like your lounging clothes you wear round the house

my other basses are more defined in what they bring to the table the flea jazz is just comfortable. 

• Like 5

It is my Spector NS-5XL. I bought it 5 years ago and while I use my other Spectors for gigs and practice this is the one which is the ONE.

Hard to explain but this is which feels like home. For example whenever I'm working on something this is the one I reach for. Also this is the one that I recorded the most since I got it (all the other were fretless sessions)  Had other US Spectors but this one is special. 

302919_2155137488985_1562900510_32233500_1673599898_n.jpg

• Like 15

3 minutes ago, Paulhauser said:

It is my Spector NS-5XL. I bought it 5 years ago and while I use my other Spectors for gigs and practice this is the one which is the ONE.

Hard to explain but this is which feels like home. For example whenever I'm working on something this is the one I reach for. Also this is the one that I recorded the most since I got it (all the other were fretless sessions)  Had other US Spectors but this one is special. 

302919_2155137488985_1562900510_32233500_1673599898_n.jpg

In my LSD days I could have been sucked into that for days on end and never tired of it. 
thats a great piece of wood and a great bass 

Edited by Bunion
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Bunion said:

In my LSD days I could have been sucked into that for days on end and never tired of it. 
thats a great piece of wood and a great bass 

Yes it is. The great thing about it is that while it looks great it sounds even better. And this is not coming from me but from live sound engineers and record producers as well.

It is the one that is actually asked back for next sessions.

• Like 1

Still searching for the number one! Many have come and gone.

Had custom builds new and vintage. I guess I just enjoy the hunt and excitement that comes with getting a new bass.

I have had my Fretless Ibanez Musician the longest, I guess around 15 years now. So maybe that stays.

My #1 is a Squier JV Precision.  I kissed a lot of frogs before finding this prince which is just the best P bass I have laid my mitts on.  The neck is gorgeous.  The maple has a little 3D figuring in it and has aged to that wonderful warm caramel.  It weighs just 8lbs and the stock pickups have a woody tone that is just the rude side of vintage.  It now sports a Schaller 3D bridge which I prefer.  I bought it from the original owner who was a drummer and barely used it so really low mileage, too.

Tart that I am, I am regularly unfaithful as new and different basses catch my eye but this is the one I would grab if the house caught fire.

JV01.thumb.jpg.f4904bca9f854e4a62ed7237a9afb17b.jpg

• Like 9

I think mine has to be this. I’ve gone through everything from P to J to graphite to super high end then back to P again. My others will always be ‘go to’ for certain things but as a grab and go which does most things well and even sounds acceptable on the things it doesn’t, it’s this G&L P.

Partly it makes a great #1 because the P bass is such a great leveller and in lots of ways it puts everything else into context. 

Like Paul’s bass above, the neck has gone super dark caramel and in itself is really nicely figured and very worn in. I love the body which is a slightly skimmed down profile, it feels like a logical evolution of the P. Despite a single pickup it has a lot of flexibility sound wise, with more power on tap than anything else I have owned, passive or active. It’s actually too loud for some pedals!

The flats on this just turned 3 and they give lots of growl with a nice bit of rasp when you dig in. 

358C7201-D7DB-4E57-80DB-B746DBB9E94D.jpeg

• Like 11

1994 Ernie Ball Musicman StingRay.

Bartolini pickup and Hipshot D-tuner.

It's been my #1 since the day I bought it in 1995. Other Basses, bands, friends and dodgy haircuts have come and gone, but this isn't going anywhere.

I like all my instruments, but I *love* this one.

20220403_095655.jpg

• Like 8