Why become a member? ×

Gumplord

Gumplord

9 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

this

Loved that when I was a wee-un!

Me and my m8 Swamp started a band called Bunsen Burner and the Peanut Roasters after hearing it...

We had a broken Farfisa organ, an out of tune Kay bass and a large pan. Our best song went:

I wish I was a Paramecium 

Cos then life would be very easium...

(Etc)

We never got as far as a gig!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, ubit said:

I was just about to say, Prog Rock has developed quite a long way from the epic 70’s Hammond organ type offerings. Tool, Perfect circle and Porcupine tree showing that it can move with the times.  

Exactly this. It is now progressive rock because it has got progressively worse.

Edited by Misdee
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

If I was in your position I'd be demanding reparations for the crimes of prog rock. 

Let us never forget the atrocities of artists such as Focus with their yodelling and Yes with their half hour keyboard solos. 

The only good prog band was Tool.

Sure thing. During the days of empire the British did a lot of wrong things but foisting Yes, ELP, Jethro Tull, Gong etc onto the world was a step too far

10 hours ago, ubit said:

I was just about to say, Prog Rock has developed quite a long way from the epic 70’s Hammond organ type offerings. Tool, Perfect circle and Porcupine tree showing that it can move with the times.  

Isn’t that like saying modern R&B isn’t really just pop music?

8 minutes ago, ead said:

Phew, I feel you may need a hug or some chocolate.  Seriously though, what is your preference?

I'm on a strict diet, no chocolate. A low calorie hug is acceptable. 

I like many musical things, mostly rock, punk and metal but the odd bit of blues, alternative, and some odd bits of pop (yeah yeah yeas, future islands, flaming lips etc) and even the odd bit of 80's electro. I don't like musicals, jazz, early prog, commercial pop or country music by people called Urban because you can't be country and urban. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

Obviously they were the new wave of post prog

FWIW, in my 'broad church' definition of punk, the Stranglers were punk. I certainly considered them so when they were my favorite band. 

I discovered them in 1979, got their first three albums (punk) and the first new material I got was The Raven.... it was relatively proggy, but I liked it anyway.

5 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

FWIW, in my 'broad church' definition of punk, the Stranglers were punk. I certainly considered them so when they were my favorite band. 

I discovered them in 1979, got their first three albums (punk) and the first new material I got was The Raven.... it was relatively proggy, but I liked it anyway.

I would classify Stranglers as good music. 

2 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

I'm on a strict diet, no chocolate. A low calorie hug is acceptable. 

I like many musical things, mostly rock, punk and metal but the odd bit of blues, alternative, and some odd bits of pop (yeah yeah yeas, future islands, flaming lips etc) and even the odd bit of 80's electro. I don't like musicals, jazz, early prog, commercial pop or country music by people called Urban because you can't be country and urban. 

I feel that we share a lot of common likes here (honorable exception of prog of which I am unashamedly a fan).  Apols to the OP for the thread derailing.