Why become a member? ×

Anyone tried Dominger pickups???

NasalFloss

So I’ve had a look online but resources are scarce at best. I love the sound of the ‘thumper’ model - plenty of body but with clarity in the lows, with what seems to be my my idea of what a p bass should sound like.

Anyone have hands on experience with these before I decide to pull the trigger? I also considered the CS ‘62 set, but they sounded a little tinny to me. I’m being overly fussy as I can only really afford to have the one bass right now and have to move a few on. After careful consideration I’ve decided to keep the p as it does everything I need it to do, so I want it to be the best it can be within reason!

Thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

Not tried them but they sound interesting, I have always been intrigued by(but never pulled the trigger due to them being US based) the GFS hot precision pickup, is wound to 16k so should sound nice and beefy. https://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-Pro-Series-HOT-P-Bass-Pickup-Pickup-OUR-BEST_p_10978.html

Edited by shoulderpet

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/04/2022 at 10:22, GremlinAndy said:

Cool. Always keen to hear peoples thoughts on ‘new’ (news to me) gear!

I installed them today and have to say that I’m impressed. Nice note clarity and depth, but I didn’t notice a massive difference between the stock Player P pickups, but this is probably down to the lacklustre equipment I’m using.

Regardless, I’ve made my precision the best it can be in my opinion and have to recommend them.

They give off a nice woody tone with clear lows and highs are tamed and are a lot more musical than compared to the stock pickups (I hate brittle highs). Due to this it gives the tone knob a little more flexibility as there are more usable tones.

They also came in a nice wee tin with a personalised message which is also a nice touch. Was it worth it? Absolutely. I’m all for supporting smaller business. They really do need more exposure!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NasalFloss said:

I installed them today and have to say that I’m impressed. Nice note clarity and depth, but I didn’t notice a massive difference between the stock Player P pickups, but this is probably down to the lacklustre equipment I’m using.

To be honest most p pickups I have tried have sounded very similar, some may have been a little brighter or darker or had more definition in the lows but the basic tone has been pretty much the same and for this reason I think of pickup swaps as fine tuning your tone rather than radically changing it, this is why pickup comparisons on YouTube are usually useless because the subtle differences between pickups are usually lost in the recording and then even more so once YouTube compresses the audio.

That being said I am not saying that pickup swaps are a waste of time, just that the differences are often subtle, in fact first mod I usually do with p basses is swap out the pickups for some Seymour Duncan SPB-2

‘Fine tuning’ is a good way to put it. I wasn’t expecting anything radical. Tone needs/wants can often be achieved with knowing your instrument and hand placement.

I should have explained further and said that these ‘improvements’  most noticeable when played finger style from midway between the pickup and neck. I really wouldn’t know what they would do for you as a pick player or playing close to the bridge.

I think of a more ‘classic’ tone with these when I use them and they sounded that they fit in a bit better in general. They sounded great when I was playing along with some Madness and Jackson 5 anyway 🤣🤣🤣 (as you’ve guessed I’m a bass shed virtuoso and they have not been used in a band setting)

12 minutes ago, NasalFloss said:

‘Fine tuning’ is a good way to put it. I wasn’t expecting anything radical. Tone needs/wants can often be achieved with knowing your instrument and hand placement.

I should have explained further and said that these ‘improvements’  most noticeable when played finger style from midway between the pickup and neck. I really wouldn’t know what they would do for you as a pick player or playing close to the bridge.

I think of a more ‘classic’ tone with these when I use them and they sounded that they fit in a bit better in general. They sounded great when I was playing along with some Madness and Jackson 5 anyway 🤣🤣🤣 (as you’ve guessed I’m a bass shed virtuoso and they have not been used in a band setting)

Yeah, the way I look at it is that I know what I want tonally and my go-to pickups provide that 'baked in' tone with a minimum of tweaking amp eq, in short I know that whether I play at a gig or an open mic/jam night/other my bass will for the most part sound pretty much the same