Why become a member? ×

April composition Challenge

lurksalot

Congratulations to @skankdelvar who is on a roll, and , as it happens, after doing a double, is approaching the hallowed ground of a treble!

I'm no stato , but that's a rare thing.

Without further ado ..........

Before radar was perfected, aircraft were detected using acoustic locators which enhanced and amplified the sound of an aircraft's engine. The smallest version was a pair of acoustic mirrors which the user strapped either side of his head.

image.thumb.png.65b5e177ccb3f9310abb897e14a47deb.png

Simple rules 

✔️ Entries must be <5 minutes and recorded this month.

✖️ No illegal samples, copyright infringements or other snide goings-on

✖️ No Bagpipes. please no bagpipes, the April fool's day truce now Expired. panpipes only if you have too.

✖️ No voting for your own entry. We'll know. And we'll shame you.

A line or two offering an insight to your inspiration/track choice will be good as well , it works nicely on the voting thread.

The Deadline for entries is Midnight on St Georges day , Sat 23rd April 

good luck everyone 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Made a start! So far there's slappity bass, phat synth bass, wahgeetar, Clyde Stubblefield, funky keys and some sax...

Hope my laptop lasts - it's currently taking at least 15 mins to boot up. May soon replace her with a refurb HP z440 2xXeon 8 core, 48Gb RAM and 3Tb of SSDs, all for under £900!

1 hour ago, lowdown said:

My oldest is after another DAW PC and is looking at refurbs.

I just bought one myself!

https://www.bargainhardware.co.uk/refurbished-workstations/pre-configured-workstations/audio-production-daw-workstations

£867 plus delivery... Didn't buy the Xeon Gold one at £1000+ more!

• Thanks 1

Here is my contribution to the April 2022 Basschat Composition Challenge, inspired by a picture chosen by the previous winner: Skank Del Var.
I was lucky, as I remembered this case from some decades ago, having read an article in the Boy's Own Paper of the time. The first successful human biological re-engineering, which enabled this man, born into a human body but with his real nature that of a fennic, to at last reconcile his psyche with his physical appearance. Early days for these medical miracles, but the operations and treatments finally enabled the fellow to become the creature that his mind had always known himself to be.
This music was composed based on magnetoencephalographic readings of his emotional state before, during, and after, the final operations, where the natural conflicts between his human and fennic impulsions mingle and merge, with a reassuringly stable conclusion offering hope for a serene future. Alas, unaccustomed to this new life, he was surprised from behind by a scorpion after being released back into the wild, and he died from its venom.
Thanks for listening, if you already have; if you're about to, enjoy.

• Like 5

Sadly my house is about to go on the market and the makeshift studio has been sacrificed to revert to a dining room - apparently that's what "normal" people expect in a house. Therefore I won't be able to submit an entry this month.  I may yet record "Can You Hear Me Calling?" a rant on the vagaries of communications reliability when living or working away from loved ones just for fun.

I will keep an eve out for the voting thread and wish everyone great dollops of inspiration in the meantime.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 01/04/2022 at 23:42, lurksalot said:

✖️ No Bagpipes. please no bagpipes, the April fool's day truce now Expired. panpipes only if you have too.

I was listening to a bit of classic Bon Scott era AC/DC today and was audibly reminded that they had bagpipes on "It's a Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock 'N' Roll)". So maybe bagpipes should be allowed for anything done in the style of AC/DC.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, adamg67 said:

I was listening to a bit of classic Bon Scott era AC/DC today and was audibly reminded that they had bagpipes on "It's a Long Way to the Top (If You Wanna Rock 'N' Roll)". So maybe bagpipes should be allowed for anything done in the style of AC/DC.

I think I'd vote for 'nothing in the style of AC/DC, bagpipes or not'. -_-

:lol: :P

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

I think I'd vote for 'nothing in the style of AC/DC, bagpipes or not'. -_-

:lol: :P

oooh, sounds like a challenge :) I havn't had time to do a track for a while, but I'll keep an eye out for one that would fit.

"However, playing the song live was made difficult by the fact that the whole band would have to tune to the drone pipe. Thus the song, though iconic of the band's early repertoire, was probably played live no more than 30 times[7] The last occasion was in 1976, following an incident where Scott set down the pipe-set at the corner of a stage during a concert at St Albans High School in St Albans, Victoria, Australia and they were destroyed by fans.[2][8] Subsequent (relatively rare) live performances employed a recording of the song's bagpipe track or an extended guitar solo by Angus Young.[3]"

👍

:lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I'm in. This has come together influenced by a few recent things of note, like the "Three on E" thread, a trip to Berlin and a bout of Covid. Four is one more than three and more is more, says Yngwie, so four it is. The bass riff came a bit too easily so I hope I haven't subconsciously pilfered it from somewhere. I can't place it, though.

The technical stuff - Drums are Yamaha Birch with a brass snare, all into a cheapo Behringer pre. Bass is a 54 style P bass I recently made from Warmoth bits with a Seymour Duncan single coil pickup, DI'd. Guitars are a Bacchus strat DI'd and I added a little bit of pad via Reason near the end. Vocals by the nice lady at an unnamed internet-based translation service. Smooshed together in Pro Tools, as always.

About the song - This lad must be able to hear the future and the past at the same time. Advanced hearing techniques.

• Like 5

I done one too...

I thought - that geezer's got some serious phones: feel the weight, feel the sound, heavy pressure's going down! 

We're talking EZ drummer with fills programmed by me. And a Wal, and a strat. And Addictive Keys mark one electric piano, plus some Vienna Sax vst layered with heavily edited 'net-found loops. Plus a bit of singin'!

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, lurksalot said:

I’ve done a silly one , I’ve tried to be all cool and clever recently , and it doesn’t seem to suit 😂

so daft is due ... a few tweaks yet 😁

Daft is my default 🙃 looks like we'll both be tweaking our efforts over the next day or so, ooer, missus 😁

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I'm in.

This months entry into basschat comp, using picture supplied by last months winner Skankdelvar.
A simple ditty really. The poor chap hears all the twaddle the world and it's media have to offer.
Used Fender tele and squire guitars (with free amplitude,G rig 5) , mustang bass, lpk 25 keyboard and my vocals.
MT drums try to keep us all in time...ish !

Edited by fingers211
  • Like 5

My contribution to the April 2022 Basschat Composition Challenge, inspired by a picture chosen by the previous winner: Skank Del Var.

God that was a painful birth, I started and abandoned 3 different songs, I honestly thought I would have to skip a month.

Started with the idea of how in modern times a whisper can be heard around the world, then got into the idea that a dumb meme travels much faster than anything involving hard reality... and just developed from there.

Drums and synths are the ones that come bundled with Cubase Elephants 10, which is what I recorded in. I used a bundled sub-bass sound, then EUB as the song develops. Guitar was a Westbury Standard, through the Helix, and vox were done with an SM58.

• Like 4

Here's mine to go with Skank's fine pic. Our hero is doing his bit for the war effort but he keeps on picking up sounds from the wild and wonderful world of pop music. Nonetheless, he'll do his very best until he can have a well earned drinks break.

Westfield violin bass, Epiphone guitar, Hydrogen drums and an air raid siren from Freesound. All recorded on wax cylinder from those fine phonographic chaps at Wavepad and Audacity.

Lyrics hidden below.

Spoiler

Aircraft detecting with acoustic vibration

Doing my upmost to help protect the nation

Sound enhancer...built by a...

Lucky chancer...wait!

Is that Santana? Or are we...

Under attack?

Seeking out planes with my peculiar headwear

But I keep hearing Slipknot, Yes and Pantera

I'll never get to hear the sounds of incoming hardware

With the racket going on around here

Listening out for heavy metal

It's my time, grasp the nettle

I'm the man for the job as I'm in fine fettle

But please turn off your damn radio

These crazy lug holes give me amplification

I'm now receiving David Bowie's Station to Station

Hang on!

Is that the whir...of a...

Diving Stuka? Or is it...

John Lee Hooker?

Going “Boom boom boom boom”?

Seeking out planes with my peculiar headwear

But I keep hearing Slipknot, Yes and Pantera

And until we get RADAR I will strap on this large pair

Of parabolic oversized ears

Listening out for heavy metal

It's my time, grasp the nettle

I'll get the job done then I'll put on the kettle

Have a brew and listen to Judas Priest

Forsaking the war, forsaking the war

Forsaking the war

Edited by upside downer
  • Like 4

I'm done then , itys a bit on the simple side and I got lost a few times even doing this ! 

Mercifully no singing this time just some speakage and plenty of dodgy guitar work !

I used a couple of freesound soundFX to give it some direction but its all ive got :lol: .

• Like 4