Why become a member? ×

NGD: Bassmute

ped

NGD = New Gadget Day in case you were wondering!

I used to have a fantastic switchable mute on a nice Bacchus jazz bass I had years ago. I found it really useful but I sold the bass where it was installed and although removable I didn't fancy risking any damage to the bass so it went away with the instrument.

I have tried using various types of foam since which normally works just as well but can have a tendency to mess with intonation and I always lose the foam at some point.

Recently playing my Musicman bass with built in mutes has reminded me of the usefulness of the Bassmute so I put up a wanted ad for one, not expecting to find one any time soon (I've been looking on and off for a while) but then @2x18 came through with the exact model I needed, even the right colour. A deal was done, it's here already and I've bunged it on my bass. It sounds delightful; position 2 mutes everything a small amount and the G string a bit less for 'accents' (each pad is adjustable) and position 3 mutes everything. bit more.

I can palm mute but something about the angle my wrist ends up at, especially when sitting (which is where I do most of my planing, naked) isn't comfortable enough given how comfortable everything else is, and I'm a lazy git really.

Couple of pics below. Thanks again BC wanted section!

IMG_0763.jpeg

IMG_0764.jpeg

• Like 4

I’ve got one on a precision, great aren’t they, I found it’s worth taking the time to set it just how much you want it to mute, on the higher setting it put the bass out of tune, great for switching on and off quickly 👍

• Like 1

I tried to order one of these months ago, but never heard back from them. I have the Fender Jaguar one on my CS Sean Hurley, it works very well, so I've just got another one from Allparts for my Nash. £40 delivered. Quite invasive to fit though, what with holes to be drilled etc. I think I'll leave it to my tech.

• Like 1

Just now, Skin Lewis said:

I tried to order one of these months ago, but never heard back from them. I have the Fender Jaguar one on my CS Sean Hurley, it works very well, so I've just got another one from Allparts for my Nash. £40 delivered. Quite invasive to fit though, what with holes to be drilled etc. I think I'll leave it to my tech.

Yeah I considered one of those too. I don’t mind drilling holes in this bass but the Bassmute attaches very well with double sided tape. You can use screws too if you need to. I think the Jaguar one pivots on the screws doesn’t it, so guess you have no choice there. 

2 minutes ago, ped said:

I think the Jaguar one pivots on the screws doesn’t it, so guess you have no choice there. 

Yes it's a bit Heath Robinson and difficult to adjust effectively, and it needs a big hole of precise depth for the spring plunger thingy. Would have preferred the Bassmute, but hard to get. Well done on finding one, got to love the BC wanteds.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Skin Lewis said:

Yes it's a bit Heath Robinson and difficult to adjust effectively, and it needs a big hole of precise depth for the spring plunger thingy. Would have preferred the Bassmute, but hard to get. Well done on finding one, got to love the BC wanteds.

Ped's is more Will Robinson   😉                  Happy N.G.D Ped -- Glad I could help

Edited by 2x18
  • Haha 1

I’ve added a red tip to the lever 

C96D5167-7312-489E-9712-387BA4477B90.jpeg

Here’s the old one I had in the Bacchus jazz. That was a cool bass but I’m not really a five string player. I had to sell this one due to a tax return balls up

447024F4-7699-4361-A17F-EA4E9CBE8B08.jpeg

• Like 1

I've messaged him several times through his website contact form to ask a question about left handed compatibility and heard nothing back. I've given up and gone back to sticking a bit of foam under the strings.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, JohnR said:

I've messaged him several times through his website contact form to ask a question about left handed compatibility and heard nothing back. I've given up and gone back to sticking a bit of foam under the strings.

Bit weird isn’t it; you’d think he’d take down the website

On 03/04/2022 at 11:20, JohnR said:

I see in the source code that his info form links to [email protected]

I would try at [email protected]

Those addresses might be linked to one another, but I'm not sure. Ellio is a great and very helpful guy, but he can be a bit absentminded, especially since a biking accident he suffered years back. If that doesn't work, he is active on Facebook regularly. His page is very quiet (last post was January 15th), but his personal profile most certainly is not. And if that still doesn't work, I suggest you contact the Bass Connection store I linked to above. The store owner Edwin van Huik is a friend of his. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1