Why become a member? ×

Jazz bass - passive or active?? Sire V7 owners thoughts are wlecome...

carlsim

5 hours ago, TrevorR said:

Don’t  Bass Direct do them? Or have they stopped?

It does not look like it.

I wonder if the impedance switching thing is something

which can be replicated seeing as I cannot actually buy one. I shall go and ask on the Repairs and Technical forum.

• Sad 1

42 minutes ago, Owen said:

It does not look like it.

I wonder if the impedance switching thing is something

which can be replicated seeing as I cannot actually buy one. I shall go and ask on the Repairs and Technical forum.

The answer is no. I guess I will have to look for someone in the US to be my friend.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Owen said:

The answer is no. I guess I will have to look for someone in the US to be my friend.

the answer is not no, the answer to the question "can the impedance switching be done in a passive circuit is no". It could be done actively.

Just now, Woodinblack said:

the answer is not no, the answer to the question "can the impedance switching be done in a passive circuit is no". It could be done actively.

Correct! My wife worries about my lack of detail as well. So does my boss actually.

Its odd that there is noone that ships them, even if they don't ship themselves. If all you want is a bass boost, is it important the method it uses to provide that? I mean does it have to be impedance switching, can it not just be a bass boost, which pretty well any preamp does?

13 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Its odd that there is noone that ships them, even if they don't ship themselves. If all you want is a bass boost, is it important the method it uses to provide that? I mean does it have to be impedance switching, can it not just be a bass boost, which pretty well any preamp does?

All I know is that when I flicked that switch back in the day all sorts of super gnarly stuff happened which was very attractive. Not just LF, but grunt and edge.  I should have left the bass as it was, but........ you know how it is.......

It could just have been a level rise which in turn drove the front end of the amp harder.

The Sadowsky pre amp is not nearly as powerful as many out there (I’ve owned an East pre in the past and had many active basses), but I find it adds just the right amount of ‘fairy dust’ to my passive basses (I use the pedal based version). If I wanted an on board pre amp, I wouldn’t hesitate to use a Sadowsky. YMMV.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ezbass said:

The Sadowsky pre amp is not nearly as powerful as many out there (I’ve owned an East pre in the past and had many active basses), but I find it adds just the right amount of ‘fairy dust’ to my passive basses (I use the pedal based version). If I wanted an on board pre amp, I wouldn’t hesitate to use a Sadowsky. YMMV.

FWIW, I have come into the Sadowsky camp in the past 2 years. It just sounds right.

• Like 3

I picked up a version 2 V7 a few weeks ago as I've heard many good things and was very curious. IMHO it's a stunning bass even before you consider how little they cost (I paid £350 mint condition). I fully agree that the control plate is very busy and the controls are abit too close, although I think the stock preamp sounds great and is very useable. I don't think much would be gained by swapping it, it may make it sound different which some people would interpret as better, however it sounds like a jazz bass with the option of active eq. What's not to like?! 😁

• Like 1

On 31/03/2022 at 14:00, BigRedX said:

As you've said, there are already tone controls on your amp.

Why would you want a second (potentially conflicting) set?

Use them as a complimentary pair?

And when playing live;

Core tone from the bass DI >>>> the desk

EQ the amp to compensate for "on stage" sound issues.

2 hours ago, Bassman666 said:

I picked up a version 2 V7 a few weeks ago as I've heard many good things and was very curious. IMHO it's a stunning bass even before you consider how little they cost (I paid £350 mint condition). I fully agree that the control plate is very busy and the controls are abit too close, although I think the stock preamp sounds great and is very useable. I don't think much would be gained by swapping it, it may make it sound different which some people would interpret as better, however it sounds like a jazz bass with the option of active eq. What's not to like?! 😁

It isn’t really a question of not liking it, it’s more from a practical angle of live use. 
I just find it too much for use on stage, fine tune adjustments I find are difficult. 
I like the passive tone, but I find when I adjust it live I inevitably affect the volume control which is stacked on top… small changes admitted, but live it’s like - where is my volume gone!?

it is a versatile piece of kit, and if I change it I will probably sell it to recoup some cash and considering it is a drop in option and people seem to like them, I wouldn’t be surprised if someone snaps it up as a viable cheaper alternative to an east or Sadowsky drop in option…

• Like 1

Could you not get someone to rewire the pots on the Sire onto a custom control plate? So replace the single pots with stacked pots and put those into a new custom control plate, such as you can get here: 

https://www.dragonfireguitars.com/Custom-Designed-Jazz-Bass-Control-Plate-Build-Your-Own-Plate-10408.htm

Or are they all fixed onto the preamp board?