Why become a member? ×

Chorus effect on D'Addario string?

Supernaut

Recently purchased a set of D'Addario EXL190 40-100 strings. 

The E string is producing a 'chorus' effect. A, D and G are fine. 

I checked the string for twists, set my witness points correctly, checked the pickup heights and made sure nothing was loose on the bass. 

No luck! Problem is still there. I've had XLs many times before this but never had this issue. Will I have to take this one on the chin and purchase a single .100 E? 

Any ideas/thoughts welcome. 

Interesting! I noticed this the other day on my Classic Vibe Jazz. EXL 14-105s. Could be a coincidence and I haven't checked for twists or looked at "witness points" (I'll have to look that up 😕)

re: the pickup thing; is it the same kind of thing as "wolf notes" on a Strat, do you think?

Edited by Funkateer

On 01/04/2022 at 18:57, Reggaebass said:

I had this on one of my jazzes a while back on the E string, I changed the string twice but it was still the same ,then I tried lowering the pickup a few screw turns and it was okay 

Yes....check the pickup height, just drop the pickup at the E string end and see if it helps.

• Like 1

The pickup was my first thought too but it happened also when not plugged in so that was ruled out. 

Got in touch with D'Addario who kindly sent me two new E strings. Replaced the string and problem solved. 

Kudos to D'Addario! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Supernaut said:

The pickup was my first thought too but it happened also when not plugged in so that was ruled out. 

Although you solved your problem, whether it is plugged in or not makes no difference to the effect the pickup has on the strings.

I realise the issue is fixed, but i wanted to add that when i had this issue, i had to put a small piece of card in the nut slot to get it to stop sounding chorused. It was the string, as a new one didnt need the fix, but the fix worked with the faulty string. 

And mine was also the same type of string. 

2 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

I realise the issue is fixed, but i wanted to add that when i had this issue, i had to put a small piece of card in the nut slot to get it to stop sounding chorused. It was the string, as a new one didnt need the fix, but the fix worked with the faulty string. 

And mine was also the same type of string. 

I’ve had it to on basses with certain strings a bit of paper for me too, placed over the nut slot so it wraps around the string as you settle it 

6 minutes ago, Bunion said:

I’ve had it to on basses with certain strings a bit of paper for me too, placed over the nut slot so it wraps around the string as you settle it 

Yeah. I was quite surprised this worked, although ive only ever had to do it the once, and only for that particular string.

4 minutes ago, Bunion said:

I’ve always thought maybe the nut had worn to a certain string and the new brand being slighty different was oscillating in the groove. 
maybe it’s the string

In my case the nut is very low, but i never had a problem with the same strings before, or after. I still dont have the paper in the nut and have changed strings a few times since. 

• Like 1