Why become a member? ×

Sore finger tip

SteveXFR

I've been playing a lot more using fingers this week instead of a pick and my index finger tip is really sore now. 

I would just rest it or use a pick but I've got a jam session Friday where I'll need to play without a pick for probably a good couple hours (I was the only bassist last time). 

Is there anything I can do for a quick fix?

Not really. You need to develop a callus. The traditional advice used to be to soak the fingertips in urine - your own, natch, although nothing to stop you from using an alternative supply - to help harden the skin. A piece of micropore plaster over the fingertip when you play may help ease things a little.

1 minute ago, Bunion said:

Witch hazel was an old remedy or you could put flats on and have at it 

A little blood though is very rock n roll

1FB98B40-EC66-47AF-956D-6962F690BCB3.jpeg.d9206a06167ad3444c37771136a87f63.jpeg

That looks like it got pretty gnarly. 

I normally play metal but this week it'll be some old motown classics, not really the right music for getting bloody and nasty!

16 minutes ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

I tried that when I had sore fingertips. I drank a couple of pints of the stuff. I didn't notice any change in my fingers but I had blurred vision for a week.

I bet your finger didn’t hurt though?

39 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

That looks like it got pretty gnarly. 

I normally play metal but this week it'll be some old motown classics, not really the right music for getting bloody and nasty!

Apparently from the doom metal band ‘Conan’ 

I’m sure though even if you bleed as long as you move those dancing feet no one will notice 🥳

8 minutes ago, Owen said:

Super glue. A few drops of liquid ona piece of paper. Run the affected area on it. Let it dry. Enjoy the gig. 

Top tip. We used to do that for rock climbing, I forgot all about super glue.

My climbing first aid kit contained super glue and duct tape.

Super glue is great until you develop a sensitivity to cyanoacrylate and it buggers up your immune system causing all kinds of disturbances to your chi.

Alcohol dries out blisters. A little bit often enough to have an effect is ok but if you wind up with cracks you'll be sorry!

A couple of days rest should fix the soreness and it'll probably hurt less after the gig. Then you'll be done hardening up.

Use plenty of gain and you won't have to pluck so hard. You can only pluck so softly with control as a beginner with the fingers so don't overdo the gain or you won't have any dynamics.

8 minutes ago, Mudpup said:

Why can't you just use a pick?

Because the Supremes song I've had to learn sounds like donkey with a pick on my Stingray with nickel rounds, unless I crank the gain and speed it up as a punk song, then it works. For what I'm playing though, I can only make it sound right with fingers.

9 hours ago, Owen said:

She used to do the meths/white spirit things.

I'd be cautious with white spirit. It dries out the skin too much and can cause very painful cracks/fissures to develop on the finger tips, which often become infected. Well documented occupational disease and causation.

30 minutes ago, BlueMoon said:

I'd be cautious with white spirit. It dries out the skin too much and can cause very painful cracks/fissures to develop on the finger tips, which often become infected. Well documented occupational disease and causation.

That is true. I have seen this happen. It got ugly surprisingly fast