Why become a member? ×

Are American Special Fender precision basses worth it???

Roberto Gonzalez

Hi everyone!!!
I live in México, and recently I found a brand new American Special fender presicion bass, those tha have the conmemorative “60th aniversary” logo, I bought it for 750 Dls. So I feel very blessed and fortunate to have it It was two weeks ago.
I discovered that this bass sounds awsome, however I am new in basses, I am not a great conoseur. Still I own other two fender basess, one MIM and one more placid blue performer series, wich both of them also love them.
So, back to the Anerican soecial topic, I would like to know opinions from you guys that I consider that are so much more experienced in this matter, since I found this quite strange to have bought a bass like that, wich was made on 2011 and It also sounds great, so I am doubtfull If I did the right thing, or no one want to buy this basses for another reason that I am not aware?

By the way my lthier has checked it and everything is ok!
I appreciate your advice and I hope, I explaind myself correctly.
Thnks so much for your support

BD234AD2-4143-45C2-9558-2DE196FD5172.jpeg

9B335EFF-3B99-4E56-BA61-B18C91E3E075.jpeg

F7BC2607-C45F-4513-8A0E-FC035E3693BE.jpeg

8879C9C7-BC92-48F0-B7D8-11EE9E873664.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Roberto Gonzalez said:

Dls

How much is 750 in US$ or GB£? Can't tell if it is a bargain or not without that info, but if it plays well, it looks good 😀 happy days.

The Serial number on the head don't seem to match the tags?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Roberto Gonzalez said:

Hi

576 pound aprox

That is a real bargain!

I have a 2012 Special and it's lovely.

The main differences for me for playing comfort is that the neck is a little thinner front to back and the body is slightly thinner too. So it has a lower weight.

Very nice basses.

I swapped the tuners for Hipshot Ultralights to get the weight even lower and now it weights 7 3/4 lb.

• Like 1

Fender basses are known for their variability and that is especially true of the MIA ones. Mexico seems to make them with better consistency. Some of the American ones are great and others not so good as the Mexican ones. In fact most of us seem to think that a good Mexican Fender is a great gigging bass.

If you have a bass you love and which plays well it is almost priceless. You love this one so cherish it. £576 for an American P is a good price, I'd buy it at that price. MIA basses over here have extra value when you sell because of the USA connection even if the MIM ones are just as good. I love my two basses both US Fenders I won't sell them whist I can still stand so the re-sale value isn't important, I just love playing them and that is where their value lays for me. 

You've found a great bass, you are a lucky guy.

• Like 1