Why become a member? ×

PJ bass with jazz style neck

hartgeh28e30

Not associated with this sale. It's hard, so very hard, to go wrong with a Japanese Sadowsky Metro

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/462683-sadowsky-metro-mv4-hpj

If you're comfortable with putting one together, make one. That's what I'm doing. I have a Warmoth J neck coming soon and a Highway One body waiting for it with an EMG Geezer PJ set. I'll most likely replace the body but it's the starting point to getting what I want, which I can't find as stock anywhere.

If really like your Ray and you're ok with the nut width but it's the profile you don't like, have you considered getting a luthier to shave a bit off the depth of the neck? I'd have thought it should be possible. Or even getting an entire new neck made? 

1 hour ago, Downunderwonder said:

There's a Mex P Deluxe in the classifieds which has your name on it. P and J pickups on a slim P body with a slim almost jazz neck. 18V preamp as well. Not exactly 'high end' but for 650 quid it's a bargain performer.

This would be my suggestion too, these basses perform a lot better than their Mex tag would suggest, as they are on the higher price bracket of the Mex range.

• Like 2

If you like the Stingray tone and the looks, MM also has the Sterling and the SLO Special. The Sterling is basically a slimmed-down Ray with a ceramic pickup instead of alnico and a J-style neck profile. The SLO Special is your regular Stingray, but with a Sterling neck. 

• Like 1

Fender Precision Lyte is good - not made anymore (late 80s to mid 90s I think) but often pop up secondhand.  MIJ, scaled down stratocaster sized body, exceptionally slim neck, active electrics, P/J.  They seem to be increasing in value for some reason.  Once they were discontinued Fender brought out a Zone bass that was essentially the same, different electrics, but Mexican, with a top end MIA model.  I think.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Doctor J said:

Not associated with this sale. It's hard, so very hard, to go wrong with a Japanese Sadowsky Metro

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/462683-sadowsky-metro-mv4-hpj

If you're comfortable with putting one together, make one. That's what I'm doing. I have a Warmoth J neck coming soon and a Highway One body waiting for it with an EMG Geezer PJ set. I'll most likely replace the body but it's the starting point to getting what I want, which I can't find as stock anywhere.

That is lovely I've always liked these but never had the chance to have a go unfortunately

9 hours ago, Rich said:

If really like your Ray and you're ok with the nut width but it's the profile you don't like, have you considered getting a luthier to shave a bit off the depth of the neck? I'd have thought it should be possible. Or even getting an entire new neck made? 

Could be a possibility I'm just not sure Id like to mod it as is completely standard. I injured my fretting hand last feb, although it's getting better my girly hands do find the extra thickness a little uncomfortable. Everything else is good though. 

6 hours ago, LeftyJ said:

If you like the Stingray tone and the looks, MM also has the Sterling and the SLO Special. The Sterling is basically a slimmed-down Ray with a ceramic pickup instead of alnico and a J-style neck profile. The SLO Special is your regular Stingray, but with a Sterling neck. 

Yeah I've never had a chance to have a go on a USA Sterling and that is a consideration. Is there a noticeable difference between the neck? The slo is rocking horse poop I'd definately consider one of those of even a caprice. Again pretty rare now

1 hour ago, hartgeh28e30 said:

Yeah I've never had a chance to have a go on a USA Sterling and that is a consideration. Is there a noticeable difference between the neck? The slo is rocking horse poop I'd definately consider one of those of even a caprice. Again pretty rare now

Of the USA models, the Sterling was kind of their 'Jazz' neck as opposed to the Stingray's 'Precision'.

I've had a few of both, and while I found the Sterling okay, I always preferred the Stingray for feel (and sound too come to think of it).

There was a blue Sterling for sale on here recently with matching headstock IIRC, for around £850 I think, which these days is a good deal.

If you can find one for sale, the Fender Vintage hotrod 70s jazz bass is a real cracker PJ.  They did cost quite a bit more when new than a standard USA jazz at the time.  The neck is superb with a compound radius.  The overall quality is right up there.  I doubt I'll ever sell mine.

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Fender-Vintage-Hot-Rod-70s-Jazz-Bass-Candy-Apple-Red/18MU

There are quite a few high-end PJ basses with jazz necks out there.  I have a Warwick Streamer PJ with a jazz size neck for example - top quality but not cheap.  Good luck in your search.

Frank.

Would a Fender Aerodyne fit the bill? 

(Way above my budget, but gives me GAS)

I’ve recently partaken of a G&L Tribute SB-2. This is a PJ with a jazz neck, with the added bonus of being passive; the pickup sounds awesome. I imagine a US version would be top notch.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, casapete said:

Of the USA models, the Sterling was kind of their 'Jazz' neck as opposed to the Stingray's 'Precision'.

I've had a few of both, and while I found the Sterling okay, I always preferred the Stingray for feel (and sound too come to think of it).

There was a blue Sterling for sale on here recently with matching headstock IIRC, for around £850 I think, which these days is a good deal.

That's sounds like a good deal I'll have a look 

11 hours ago, Tokalo said:

Would a Fender Aerodyne fit the bill? 

(Way above my budget, but gives me GAS)

I’ve recently partaken of a G&L Tribute SB-2. This is a PJ with a jazz neck, with the added bonus of being passive; the pickup sounds awesome. I imagine a US version would be top notch.

Yes, these have taken a fancy to be honest especially in the rarer colour combo. The problem I have is no where stocks alot of basses around where I live, most music shops only have a very small section so whatever I decide will most likely be a blind purchase 😅

12 hours ago, machinehead said:

If you can find one for sale, the Fender Vintage hotrod 70s jazz bass is a real cracker PJ.  They did cost quite a bit more when new than a standard USA jazz at the time.  The neck is superb with a compound radius.  The overall quality is right up there.  I doubt I'll ever sell mine.

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Fender-Vintage-Hot-Rod-70s-Jazz-Bass-Candy-Apple-Red/18MU

There are quite a few high-end PJ basses with jazz necks out there.  I have a Warwick Streamer PJ with a jazz size neck for example - top quality but not cheap.  Good luck in your search.

Frank.

That is a cracker 🤩 I'll check the warwick out too 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ebenezer said:

I have a 79 ray and the neck is way better than the later ones...width is much the same but the depth is a fair bit shallower and more comfortable.

Thats good to know, the width is not a problem, i have a jazz elite V and thats more comfortable to play surprisingly. It's the depth front to back that can be a pain as my thumb could do with being a tad longer so end up developing bad techniques to cope unless i wear it under my chin lol