Why become a member? ×

UK Bass stores with widest range / stock.

40hz

Morning all!

Again, tried the search function but couldn't seem to hone in on this particular question.

In my quest for the perfect 5er, I thought about maybe visiting some stores across the UK. It would be good if I could find a shop that had a very wide range of basses (although I know this is rare). Anyone suggest the best place to do this?

Bass Direct is on my door step, however it does deal primarily in very high end gear, slightly out of my price range, so would just result in un-scratchable GAS.

Thank you!

Edited by 40hz

Depends on your budget. What is “unattainable”? Most stores like GG, Anderton’s, PMT, GAK etc can cobble together some 5ers at the lower end of the price bracket. it’s possibly simpler to decide what you’re looking for and take it from there?

Edited by FDC484950

7 minutes ago, FDC484950 said:

Depends on your budget. What is “unattainable”? Most stores like GG, Anderton’s, PMT, GSK etc can cobble together some 5ers at the lower end of the price bracket. it’s possibly simpler to decide what you’re looking for and take it from there?

£1500 tops. 

The issue is I'm fairly open to most things, and it's hard to pin it down to a particular bass, so my thinking was playing a bunch of random 5ers and seeing if something speaks to me more than others - hence looking for a shop that is likely to have quite a few to try.

27 minutes ago, 40hz said:

£1500 tops. 

The issue is I'm fairly open to most things, and it's hard to pin it down to a particular bass, so my thinking was playing a bunch of random 5ers and seeing if something speaks to me more than others - hence looking for a shop that is likely to have quite a few to try.

They have plenty of basses below £1500. I was quite shocked at how good the Sadowsky MetroExpress models are and they’re half your max budget. Worth a look I think?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 40hz said:

£1500 tops. 

Let us know where you decide to go, as there will probably be a friendly Basschatter close by, who would be happy to tag along and offer and independent opinion :) 

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for the input. It's been tremendously useful! 

I heard someone playing a Streamer LX5 on YouTube this morning and the sound absolutely blew me away - so much so I put a wanted advert out. I've had P/J Streamers, but the J/J's just have that 'burp'. Finding one under 9lbs could be a mission, but my previous Streamers were all super lightweight, so could be possible! 

I'm also going to try the Sadowsky Metro Express as previously suggested, even though the headstock looks absolutely awful. They seem to be lightweight for 5ers - a couple I saw online in my travels, seem pegged at around 8.5lbs. I also understand Roger has overseen a raft of improvements across the board, from the very first ones that earned a bad rep, with improved QC and preamp components.

Edited by 40hz

33 minutes ago, 40hz said:

I also understand Roger has overseen a raft of improvements across the board, from the very first ones that earned a bad rep, with improved QC and preamp components.

Roger Sadowsky has no connection to the basses made in his name by Warwick.

8 minutes ago, chris_b said:

I had read on Talkbass that he was aware of the issues and had discussed this/these with Warwick with a view to improvements? Either rate, they are improved from the infamous first run. Sadly that didn't extend to the headstock!

On 30/03/2022 at 09:44, bass_dinger said:

So, I have previously been overwhelmed by the choice at Camden's Bass Gallery (5 different acoustic five-stringers when I was looking for my own instrument!).  

Perhaps a bass meet-up is also a good opportunity to try other instruments.

Well, I went to Bass Gallery three years ago. A nice sunny day had some time to kill to. Had to press the doorbell to be allowed in and for someone to come to shop floor. I think it was Bass Gallery, apologies if I have it wrong. But , not again thank you. All that walking for nothing. Felt very unwelcoming , needing to press the doorbell!?

6 minutes ago, SH73 said:

Well, I went to Bass Gallery three years ago. A nice sunny day had some time to kill to. Had to press the doorbell to be allowed in and for someone to come to shop floor. I think it was Bass Gallery, apologies if I have it wrong. But , not again thank you. All that walking for nothing. Felt very unwelcoming , needing to press the doorbell!?

You do have to press the doorbell, but I've always found them to be very friendly once you gain entrance. 

I've also found the Gallery guys to be very friendly and welcoming once you're inside. Pressing a doorbell and waiting to be let in is hardly a deal breaker for me. I'm guessing they have that for security reasons - that bit of London has quite a few scoundrels roaming the streets and it wouldn't be hard to run off with some very expensive kit if the door was open. Usually a great selection of gear in there too. 

Edited by Mudpup
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mudpup said:

I've also found the Gallery guys to be very friendly and welcoming once you're inside. Pressing a doorbell and waiting to be let in is hardly a deal breaker for me.

It was for me the first couple of times I went there, I assumed they were shut.

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

I have spoken directly with Roger, more than once, about his connection. 

He is very much involved in everything that carries his name. 

9 hours ago, peteb said:

You do have to press the doorbell, but I've always found them to be very friendly once you gain entrance. 

I understand that, there was a note. But if I'm in the area to kill time I wanted to have a wander around the shop to see what the fuss was all about and it would be a degree of awkwardness if I said " I'm not buying, just looking around". I think there are more window shoppers nowadays than buyers. And for ' have to press the doorbell" I choose to go elsewhere in future.